Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Hubie75, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Middle of the lane

2. Right wheel track

0 vote(s)
  3. Left wheel track

0 vote(s)
  4. Depends on the circumstances

0 vote(s)
  1. G'day all,

Just thought I'd pose the question, when you're out there on the road, where in a lane do you position yourself?

I'm interested to know as I've seen bikers in some funny places on the road over the years.

MOD: I've added depends on the circumstances because there are many other variables such as multilane roads where right track vs left track depends on which lane you are in. etc.
  2. Continually changing as the circumstances call for it based upon an assessment of:

*) Space
    *) My visibility of the road
    *) Visibility of myself to others
    *) Surface Quality
    *) Positioning for maneuvering

No one thing is necessarily more important than the others at any one time. It all changes continually based upon the exact circumstances at the time.
  3. :arrow: Right wheel track (usually)
  4. +1, I didn't answer the poll as I don't stick to one place, and I never sit on the very very edge of the lane like some people (cough, my dad) does.
  5. I'f i'm in a single lane I sit in the right wheel track (unless there's an obstruction), multi lane road usually the same depending on the lane (ie middle lane either left or right track depending on where I want to go).

Ususally it's the best place to be most visible so for all you new riders out there, dont sit in the middle of the lane, that's where all the oil and crap from cars and trucks get dropped, and onto your tyres.

Cheers :cool:

6. wot FLUX said.

7. + 1
  8. I generally try to rule my entire lane equally. :p
  9. Most car strikes I have seen in my years of riding has been were the rider has maintained the 'right hand' wheel track philosophy.

Why? Because Aussie cars are right hand drive and when a driver moves to the left (change lane) they are only about a meter from the bike and 'whack'.

If I have a clear lane and cars to my right, I avoid the right hand track and stay centre of leftish.

Many a time I have avoided a car making a sudden lane change as I have had an extra 2 meters of distance between us in my favor.

Throttle up of lightly brake to avoid.

Just my experience.

On a single lane or clear roadway I do however stick to the right hand track wheel or centreish to discourage cars undertaking.
  10. in front of every other prick on the road :cool:
  11. It's a pity I cant change my vote to circumstance because there are other issues such as staying in the left wheeltrack on the right hand lane on a freeway as opposed to staying in the right wheel track when in the left lane.
    In the middle lanes I tend to stay just right of centre on the lane for maximum lane ownership and visibilty and also keeping sight of the drivers mirrors.
    If I can't see their eyes in the mirror I position myself where I can that way they can see me (hopefully)
  12. If it is multi lane road, i stay in the far right lane and sit in the right rear track.
  13. As the circumstances dictate, i ride to maintain presence rather than visibility.
  14. I've been riding for close to a hundred years...well it feels that long anyway, and have around 300,000 road km under my belt.

"Safest" place to ride when following a car/bus/truck/whatever is where you can see the car drivers eyes in their mirrors. If you can see them they you have the best chance of them seeing you.

All other times I just ride where it feels safest under the current conditions.
  15. I ride on the left wheel track on a single lane road to give me extra buffer between myself and cars going the opposide direction.

If there are cars, people, etc on the left then I move over towards the right.

If I'm on a highway in the left lane, I sit towards the left of the lane.

I'm suprised to see that not many people do this, but I am new to road riding so probably have a lot more to learn about lane position.
  16. Multi laned, I will stay in the track closest to the cars mirror and watch that.(ie left hand track if I am coming up on a car on my left and right hand track coming up to a car on my right)
    I will then move to the other side of the lane and pass FAST...........and then back to the mirror track for the next "victim"

Single lane I will "own" my lane bascically in the centre, but move around.

If I am passing a line of slow moving or stationary cars, I will put high beam on (during the day only) and sorta weave my way pass, but wide.

I don't care if I look a bit "wobbly" 'cause at least they see me.

This next comment may ruffle the "angels" feathers, but the best place is way out in front as Joel said. If you ride a bit faster than the cars, then you really only have to worry about the ones in front of you.

17. Single lane/country hwy. RH wheel track, until either an oncoming vehicle or hill with double whites, them move into the LH wheel track, away from the biggest threat. Always maximise the distance to the potential threat.
  18. out here in the stix, you wouldnt ride there. you are more likely to get a kangaroo/wombat/other come out of the roadside. in this case, i position myself closer to the centre in order to maximise my chances, and give me better odds to avoid the buggers from both sides.
  19. i tend to ride on the right wheel track but more centralised. I do this as I find cars are less likely to undertake you, regardless of the speed you are traveling at.
  20. Slightly OT:

You know what would be useful at this juncture?

A good Youtube clip showing how a skilled rider uses lane positioning, with commentary.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one.

It's the kind of thing that's really best understood by demonstration. When I did my P's test the (Stay Upright) instructor demonstrated active positioning to maintain a buffer, then had us follow and mimic.

As FLUX mentioned, this is only one of the contributing factors to good lane position, but one is a lot better than none ;)

It had much more of an impact on me, and sunk in more thoroughly, than reading about it.