Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Virgin Ride Start Guide - Any Thoughts are Welcome

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by joshuaisme, Apr 20, 2005.

1. To All the Experienced Riders of the World,

I have finally bought myself a bike and are waiting to take the initial Rider Safe Course so as I can get my stripes however, I wanted to know whether there is anything I should do to my bike whilst waiting to take my course.

For example :

- As absolutely lame as it sounds I don't even know how to start the thing up and wanted to know whether I should be at least starting the motor and letting it run for a few minutes every now and then before my course (in a couple of months) so as to avoid engine/battery trouble between now and when i can finally take a ride?

As stupid as it sounds I don't actually have anyone to teach me anything about bikes and wanted to know if anyone is willing to at least run me through some bare bone basics? even just jotting down some lines in this post would be a worlds help.

- How often should I get it serviced? every how many ks? and what should I be expecting to pay ball bike wise for a standard service?

- what sort of petrol is good to use? sigh I feel so stupid asking this but I just don't know! Its a four stroke 250 CBR.

So to anyone willing to give any info to a complete newbie please do :)

2. Lucky. I had to wait months after I'd done my L's before I could afford my first bike :)

1. Get on the bike, bring the side stand up, put it in neutral (or hold the clutch in), make sure the engine kill switch is set to "ON", make sure the fuel tap is set to "ON", pull the choke out, start the motor, push the clutch in half-way till it warms up, race the ricers and dodge the falcodores on the way up to Eagle on the Hill, all while enjoying the 110 kph SA limit.

Petrol will clog the carbies if you don't do anything with the bike. I don't know how to prevent this short of riding the thing, though. Maybe if you've got a couple of biker mates you could let them ride it?

2. More money than you should be :( *sigh*

3. Not super, and not Shell Optimax. I'm pretty sure that CBR250's are regular ULP, but they might be PULP being replica racers.
  3. As a new rider myself, I'm probably not the best source of information, but since no one has responded yet, I will try to help you out:

1. how to start your cbr250: sit on bike (with side stand down until you feel confident to hold it up and go through start procedure). Put key in and move to "on" position. Hold the clutch in (left side hand lever) and push down with your foot on the lever on your left (gears). Push down down down. This will put your bike in first gear. Alternatively, you can push one up (clutch needs to be in for all changes) from 1st into neutral. A green light should display on your "dash board" if you are in neutral, and the bike should be able to roll. If you want the bike in neutral to start it, ensure it is in a level position so it doesn't roll away! (see bit about brakes to follow) On the right side of the handle bars there should be a red (?) kill switch with "off" and "run" (or equivalent). Click it to "run". Then, making sure your brake is on (rhs hand lever is front brake, rhs foot pedal is rear brake - pick either) push the start button (located under the red switch). Now, if you're in gear you'll need to keep the clutch in, if you're in neutral, you won't need the clutch in. Make sure you're on level ground or have the brakes engaged.

You may need to have the choke out a bit and rev it a bit (by turning the throtte - located on right handlebar grip - towards you) to keep it idling or it will conk out. The choke is a black (?) thing on the lhs of your "dashboard" that you pull up.

I dunno for sure, but my gut instinct would be to run the bike every couple of days until your course as you have suggested.

Hope that all makes sense and helps a bit.
  4. o yeah - to turn off the bike, click to "off" on the kill switch. Ensure bike is in first gear so it doesn't roll away. Ensure side stand is down. Move the handlebars so the wheel points as far to the left as it can. Turn key into "lock" position and remove.

5. What is that checklist they give you for making a make start? Oh yeah..

Grab a handful of front brake and swing your leg over the bike. Bring the bike off the side stand, and kick it upright. Sit down on the saddle. Next, settle down so your right boot is on the rear brake, left boot on the deck. Now, once you have that set, keep the rear brake on, and do the checklist.

Fuel - turn the fuel tap to ON
    Ignition - switch the key on (the light will turn on, giving you a clue that the key is on, and the battery has a charge)
    Neutral - put the bike in neutral (look for the green idiot lamp to light up - SHOULD be between First and Second gear)
    Engine - kill switch to ON
    Choke - pull the choke to about 50% (mine doesn't need more than this - dunno about others)
    Clutch - even though you're in neutral, pull in the clutch.

Then simply thumb the starter switch until the bike catches. You should NOT need any throttle, so don't add any. Once its idling, pull in the front brake, and gently let the clutch out. If the bike even shudders a smidgen, pull the clutch back in, and recheck neutral. Otherwise, let the clutch out, and release the death-grip on the front brake.

You should STILL have your left boot on the deck, and the right one on the rear brake.

Go through a basic safety check - locate the indicator switch, and check left, right and hazard options (hazard MAY need you to flick a switch, THEN engage the indicators). Test high and low beam on the headlight. Blip the horn (unless you KNOW this will annoy someone more than you revving a bike up). Locate the fuel tap when you're seated.

Now your bike should be warming up, so lower the choke. Once your bike is idling with the choke fully in, you can have some fun blipping the throttle. If you have a tacho, practice running the motor to certain RPM and holding it there. Learn to hear and feel these, rather than having to look.

After this bit of fun, its time to put away the bike, so ease out the throttle until the bike is idling. Confirm brakes are applied, etc - like before, then kill the engine EITHER with the kill switch, OR the key - whatever is easier (mine is a kill-switch job - keys are down by my left leg). Now, run through in reverse what you did before, omitting the stupid stuff.

Let out the clutch, shut off the choke - should be done. Flick the kill switch to off (if its not already). If you're parking the bike where it is now, kick it into gear to prevent rollaway. Switch off the key, and turn the fuel tap to OFF (if present).

There. Now polish up your baby and dream of the first ride...
  6. My angle on this is wait till the people at the training centre show you how it's done.
    It's horrible to wait , while you're bike keeps giving you longing looks as you walk by. Then again doing the wrong thing in a confined area and dropping or crashing the bike means a few weeks/months wait while all the damage is fixed.
    have a read of the owners manual , possibly disconnect the battery , and make heaps of motorbike noises while you sit on the bike :D
    If you are starting it up , possibly go over the switch gear ( indicators etc ) so that you are familiar with them when you finally get out there .
    Hope this all helps

good luck!

cheers Michael
  7. Just a thought... change your profile to show what suburb you live in,
    like mine.

If you live close by, and you don't mind, I will share some of my limited experience with you.
    If you live too far away, other Adelaide Netriders may get in contact.

8. Ke? That ain't what the kill switch is designed to do. Turn your ignition key to turn it off, not the kill switch. Kill switch is for when bike is lying on you, chain eating your leg or something. :shock:
  9. Really? We were taught at rider training during L's course that you hit the kill switch to off before turning the key to off in the ignition.... Just doing what they told me to do. :oops:
  10. Yeah, I never use the kill switch either, but I should.

Lying on the ground with the bike on top of you is not a good time to start wondering where the kill switch is. If you use it routinely, you'll use it without searching when you really need to use it quickly. It'a also reassuring to know that it still works.
  11. The kill switch is an individual thing, there is no right or wrong on its use.
    eg: i'll use the key to turn mine off most times, but if its late at night and coming into our units ( big ugly driveway and right hand turn all at once ) as i come into the street i'll hit the kill switch so i can roll in without waking the people in the other units up :twisted:

The best thing you can do is read your owners manual ( if you got one ? )
    then go and sit on your bike and just have a play around with all the switches and dohickies, till you work out what they do etc and they become almost 2nd nature to you.
    You should be able to after a few times, locate and use, your highbeam switch / kill switch / horn and fuel tap without looking for them.

:) have fun with your new toy 8)
  15. Is there an echo around here :D

cheers Michael
  16. Sorry about that. The thing kept telling me there was an error, so I kept hitting the "submit" button!!
  17. Before you hit submit a second/third time opne another window and check to see if it went in. 9/10 it was actually submitted but failed after your post was saved.

And if there are mulitple submissions you can always use the X button beside the edit button in the top right of your post to delete it.