Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Virago problems/Details of last service.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by I Adore Vic, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Hey all. As some may know, last week I had problems with the indicator display light flashing it's head off. Since then I've had some other problems too and thought to post them up here in the one thread.

Indicator lights/no horn:

It did this again (flashing) on the way to Beaconsfield Friday morning and then the indicators (and horn) stopped working. Dave changed the fuse to a 20amp one and they fiddled with the wires and the actual indicator switch and that seemed to do the trick. No more problems of this nature for the rest of the wknd.

It was probably something to do with the indicator switch - perhaps water got in there or perhaps it's just in need of a good wipe.

Indicator light problem solved.

Heated grips - When I picked the bike up from the mechanics, he told me that he'd wired the grips straight to the battery, so I'd need to make sure I turned the grips off after turning the ignition off. (Otherwise potential flat battery).

I thought nothing of this as I knew nothing better...didn't think there was anything better. I soon learnt though - Ta Doit and Dave - that the mechanic should've wired it up to the ignition. He'd chosen the lazy/backyard mechanic option. :evil: Talk about taking advantage of a chick with no idea. Freakin bastard charged me to fit them too...which I wouldn't care about had they done it right! I'll sort that out. Today. I've lost complete trust in these guys. They can get stuffed. (Further reasons for my being pissed off are below).

Going up a hill on the Saturday afternoon. I overtook a car and then as I was getting back into my lane I gave her a bit of throttle and the bike was all talk (revved) and no action (lost power).

Pulled over and waited for some of the others...went a little further and then pulled over again as the bike was sounding and acting very sick. It had a Ducati like drone :grin: :LOL: but no Ducati like grunt. :( There was also a loud tapping sound. Hmm.. Dave had a look at her and it was decided it'd be right to ride to Bright (there weren't many other options really) - so long as I didn't give it too much throttle. There was a limit to how much I could give it...too much and the bike would get the chugs and lose power.

It was happy to sit on 80 kph on the flats - but it putted up the hills. Dave stayed by my side for most of the way and even gave me a push every now and then to get me up some of the tougher hills. :LOL:

I was glad to get to Bright - and even more surprised I got there in one piece....one shouldn't ride with a frucked up mind.

Mr. Cruisingal had a listen to it and said 'SOunds like the tappits (sp?)...she'll be right - I'll fix her in the morning'. haha. He said 'fix her' not 'have a look at her'. Fix. Her. haha. yay!

He kept his word...I got up the next morning to find the bike pulled apart and a tappit that wasn't where it was supposed to be. It had come loose (perhaps due to the mechanic not doing it up enough) and I'm lucky that it didn't go into the motor as methinks that would've been a bit of a bigger drama. He put it back in its rightful place and put the bike back together and I took her for a ride around Bright and came back with a big grin on my face.

I'm not sure whether the mechanic did anything that involved the tappits - so I'm going to post up the service summary.

This is what was done at the last service:

Replaced oil
    Replace/Cleaned oil filter
    Cleaned air filter
    Check fuel filter
    Drain carby
    Replace spark plug
    Check battery
    Check wheel bearings
    Check and adjust brakes
    Check steering joints
    Check swing arm pivots
    Check tyre pressures
    Check radiator and oil cooler external blockage
    Lights and horn
    Wheel nut tension and axle nut tension
    Check/adjust spokes
    Lube/adjust chain
    Rear brake (had been squealing ever since they put the new rear tyre on last service)
    Polish tank (to clean up some of the finer scratches that were on it)
    Fitted heated hand grips
    Check rear brakes
    Adjusted rear brakes.

Does anyone here see anything that tells them the mechanic did touch the tappits???

I'm going in to see them this afternoon. I'm pissed - not happy being taken for an idiot. I've also lost trust in them...an accumulation of a number of issues since buying the bike from them. Wont be going back again. :evil:

I was under the impression that for the warranty, I needed to get the bike serviced with the Yamaha dealership for the first 12 mths. I now know this is not the case and will be taking her in to see some other mechanic who I got good vibes from a while back.

Thanks to everyone for their help over the wknd. And thanks again to those who stayed behind me on what were some beautiful rds. :oops:
  2. Glad you made it ok.
    Mech didnt touch the tappets by the looks of things.
    As for the 20amp fuse. Change it back to the 5 of whatever it should be. 20amps will be about as much as the wiring will carry. So if there is still something wrong you can ruin the wiring and potentially even set fire to the bike.

3. I lost all the electrics on my virago when I got a short.
    Mechanic pulled the rear wheel off to balance it and obviously knocked the wiring off it's clips under the mud guard, I hit a few bumps and the wiring rubs against the tyre and frays open.
    If you are seeing electrical craziness, it's probably a short - but it could be damn near anywhere on the bike.
  4. Rosie, what kind of heated grips?? Oxfords are designed to fit straight onto the battery. It says so in the instructions and the instructions remind you to take note of the LED so that you don't leave the grips on and flatten your battery.

Having said that though, running them off a wire that comes live when the ignition is "on" is a better way to go since there's no risk of flattening the battery BUT it has a slight risk. If ever the grips go nuts and short or draw too much current, you could blow the fuse of the circuit you tapped into... and then no bikey for you.

Auto elecs recommend the deluxe install method: Heated grips powered directly from the battery, BUT there's a relay wired into the grip's power wire. The relay comes live when the ignition is turned on (it's tapped into an ignition wire) and connects the grips to the battery. With this arrangement, there's no chance of flattening battery or blowing an engine related fuse... if the grips go nuts, then the grips own fuse will blow. Total cost for relay and bits, <$15

I'm fortunate the engineers at Kawasaki added a whole other circuit to my bike's electrics called "accessories". My grips are tapped into that circuit. It has nothing else on it and comes live when the ignition is turned on. Nice one Mr Kawasaki! Check to see whether the virago has a spare spot in the fuse box.

Regarding the service, unless there's a "valve clearance" check, then there's no need for the mech to go anywhere near the tappets.

I wouldn't be happy staying with a 20A fuse. Something is wrong somewhere...

Good luck with it.
  5. Yeah they're the Oxford ones Rob. Looks like he's done it right and I've nothing to be peeved about - although he did choose the easier option...my instructions say this:

The feed (red wire) can be connected either to the battery positive or preferably to an ignition feed so that the grips cannot be inadvertently left "on" when leaving the machine.

The thing is, I wasn't to know there was a preferred option..and the mechanic did. But perhaps the mechanic knew that there could be problems such as what you described - hence his reasons for hooking the wires straight to the battery and not to the ignition feed. Looks like I'm going to have to get into the habit of checking the grips are turned off when the bike is. Make it part of the routine.
  6. Rosie i'll organise a relay for you, we'll fit it when we run the spanner day.