Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Virago Kickstart

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattb, May 27, 2011.

1. I've just come across a vision of heaven on a stick:

This glimpse-through-a-keyhole image is all I can find in words or pictures on the web regarding this matter, aside from idle whimsy and speculation.

So, my technically smarter brethren, how do I go about designing such a thing for my Virago? I have somebody who could do the metal work, and I'm thinking I could raid the parts from an old XT500. And I'm suspecting that I'd have to sacrifice the electric starting, which anyway is an ongoing weak point on any Virago. Might it really be as simple as it looks in this photo?
  2. There was a few threads about kick starters on the virago tech forums a few years ago, and that was the answer they came up with, from memory... can't remember mush else about it though.
  3. Bump

This interests me. I hate electric start, Its just one more thing to go wrong with any bike.
  4. Anyone that has used a kick start on a "modern", well tuned Jap bike will wonder why you'd bother with electric start.

The above, however, is going too far IMO.
  5. On the other hand, having experienced a couple of broken kickstarts and the odd kickstart quadrant with a dental problem, I can testify that they're no more reliable than a modern lecky foot backed up with a well maintained battery and, on most bikes, I'd rather change a battery than a kickstart mechanism.