Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Virago 250. Please help!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Ewan, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Hi all. Wondering if you could maybe help and give me a diagnosis. I have an old 96 yamaha virago that's done 70 odd thousand clicks. Today on my way 2 and from work I had lacking power in top range of 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. 1st and 2nd are fine through out the range but the top of 3rd and most of 4th and all of 5th..... no power with coughing and spluttering. It rides much better with the choke on. I previously had problems with a valve sticking and the bike had problems starting and it was coughing and spluttering. The valve was freed up and has been fine since. Could it be the same valve causing the problem? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. Also could I add there is oil all through the air filter. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

3. I'd guess the jet in the carby is partially blocked with crap.
    Happened to my old virago once whilst I owned it and since to the new owner.
    What I found was that it would idle fine but as soon as I twisted the throttle, it would stall. I ended up opening the choke all the way and idling it to the mechanic.

4. This topic is solved

There was a leak caused by a perished inlet manifold. Since then I have also replaced a float needle and seat set that caused issues. These bikes are pretty simple to work on yourself and a great bike to help you learn about bikes.

5. isnt arent you meant to when you clean the filter. drench it in oil and squeeze out excess, but make sure its moist with oil? if its drenched might be stopping airflow

6. That's right the air filter is meant to have a light cover of oil. I wasn't aware of this at the time.

7. maybe the carbs/jets have crap in them. try running a tank of carbie cleaner or 98 octane fuel to wash it out.

Check your airbox. might have sucked up some leaves or osmething

8. Thank Willzah. But it is all fixed. I explained what I did to fix it a few posts up.

9. :beer: obviously im on the right