Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vietnam bike holiday

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Heinz_Guderian, Jan 3, 2007.

1. I don't know if there's a 'bike holiday' thread but I wanted to tell you all about my recent trip to Vietnam.

What was going to be an ordinary Lonely Planet type tour got much better: after deciding Ho Chi Minh City sucked, me and gal bussed to Dalat at the southern end of the Central Highlands: to go north in Vietnam you weither go this, inland route or take the more common road up the coast.

In Dalat we met some spruikers for a local group called 'Easy Riders'. While back-of-a-moped tours are nothing unusual in Vietnam, we negotiated a second bike so we had the two of us, a guide and the second bike (basically everything is about 100cc- either scooter/automatic or step-through/postie style) for five days.

This five days was the highlight of five weeks in Vietnam: the road is utterly twisty, though you just putt along with 110cc. A big bike would be bliss, but death because of buffalo/10km/h trucks/landslides that half block the road/hundreds of school kids/roadworks.... they never close a road to work on it.

A subtle benefit of using bikes is that you visit 'minority' ethnic people who still live their traditional lifestyles. Fifty tourists rolling up on a bus would be highly intrusive and destructive... two or three on a bike is somewhat easier to live with (ie, we only destroyed the traditional peoples a bit!).

The scenery, crops, the skills of the guide (hospitality, language and local knowledge), the food and the general amazingness will be remembered forever.

Anyway, if you go to Vietnam, find the Easy Riders in Dalat (they'll find you...) and have five days to spare.

2. Sorry to change the topic... But why is your name Heinz Guderian?
  3. I did the Dalat easy rider tour few years ago,except the bastads wanter to dink,like hell me said! 7 days,thru central highlands.Recccommend to anyone,my guide was great.His name was "Hung".I always used to call him "well"as in well hung :roll: he never did get it :LOL:
  4. Hiya HG, sounds awesome. I'm planning on doing a similar thing with Nepal later this year. Glad you had a good time :)
  5. What are you Polish/French/Russian or something? :wink:
  6. Haha, nope! But curious, that's all.
  7. :LOL: Outf^&*ingstanding! I bet he would always smile when you laughed at it as if he knew what was so funny.
  8. What are the rules in terms of getting a temporary license?

I'd like to visit an asian country but explore using motorcycle.
  9. Yeah he did actually :grin: ,was more a joke between the 2 of us.He knew I was taking the piss,but was done in friendly banter way,he used to do the same to me,giving me jip about a local lady who tried to win my affection and wallet.Had to be there moment.

As for the licence,just go to RACV or NRMA depending on your state,get an international driving licence,make sure they stamp the motorcycle option,costs about 20 bucks.