Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Videos from Walhalla/Thompson Dam Ride

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by [FLUX], Nov 12, 2006.

1. Use Quicktime 7 to view the following videos. Probably best to do a right-click and download, and then view later.

1. Sitting on a corner near Thomson Dam, watching the bikes go by
    Video Removed [15.1MB 1m45s]

2. Short blast along the Noojee to Icy Creek Road
    Video Removed [24.7MB 2m45s]

3. The run into Walhalla
    Video Removed [61.3MB 7m00s]

4. Icy Creek to Hill End
    Video Link [105MB 6m42s]

I had to remove the first 3 videos to make room for the 4th. People had seemed to be done with downloading them anyway.
  2. Jesus, that first corner's a bit embarrassing! Every bugger's running wide.
  3. lol.....I can't get my home computer to play these so will have to wait until I get to work to see the vids, but I'm pretty sure I was one of the running wide culprits. Very bad me looked at Stew and not my corner line until far too late in the piece.

Lucky for me there aren't cameramen lurking around every corner between Melbourne and Walhalla, otherwise I'd be all over the place :wink:
  4. I was too busy looking for Stew! that's the problem with those setups, we're all too busy rehearsing our lines to watch where we're going!
  5. Love how you can see your reflection in the tacho(well did on the noojee-icyck one)
  6. thanks for the video, Stu/Stew. It is the first time that I've seen myself in action, as it were. I thought that I was taking it easy, but not THAT easy...

Still, it's interesting to watch one's own style. I would imagine that the top riders watch their own races over and over in that never ending quest for that extra nth of a nanosecond...
  7. After 40 minutes I managed to watch the Thompson corner (darn dial-up :evil: ).

I have to ask Stew, what were you thinking when we all went through that corner :oops:

Meanwhile, I'm still loading the other two movies :roll: :LOL:
  8. dialup? that'll be you all night then!

they're good to watch though.
  9. :LOL: I don't think the camera quite caught what I was muttering to myself under my breath. Might be a good thing. I was wondering if I would be able to post the video with sound or not. :wink:

I really like the Icy Creek to Hill End video I also have here. I didn't post it up due to space limitations, and also because nobody else was in the video. I like it more for analysing the highly technical nature of the road and the tacho reflection really helps to highlight the importance of the visual aspects of reading the corners as far ahead as possible.

I'll post it up sometime in the coming week.
  10. Thats some disgraceful riding you've captured there Cathar. I've never seen corners being taken so slowly yet still managing to drift onto the wrong side of the road; & not just one person, but one after the next. Were they all Learners? :shock:
  11. I'll leave it for those on the bikes to comment what was going on. None of them were learners. I suspect that a lot of it had to do with me sitting down near the trees and people were busy looking for/at me, rather than looking at the road.

In hindsight, I think it was a bad idea overall.

The lesson learned here is to stand to the inside of the corner, perhaps some way up from the corner exit, so if people want to look at the camera, at least their eyes will be looking somewhat in the correct location.
  12. I don’t think the video was a bad idea at all and I think the lessons that can be learnt from it are valuable.

The riders who ran wide on that corner have a range of skills and at least one of them (not me) can do very impressive PI lap times. I very rarely run wide, and I can confidently say the same for a couple of others, so why there?

I think the simple answer is that usually when something distracting is happening pre corner entry a rider will slow down, but because we knew Stew would be there and knew he had a camera we didn’t (but got distracted anyway). I know there are probably a bunch of people thinking you should never get distracted but for me the reality is it can happen, so I compensate. For example there is one corner on the GOR which I think has a spectacular view and I always have a look, but positively tootle around the corner with no concerns.

In some ways I think it’s harder to get distracted mid corner because you have already set your speed, lent the bike over and are looking where required. Looking into the corner two seconds too late is, I suspect, an easier mistake than looking somewhere totally wrong once you are already doing the right thing.

So what’s the lesson? I guess it is to either 1) stay totally focused at all times or 2) be aware of your limitations and ride accordingly. Personally I’d be much happier to achieve 1 and it’s always good to have an area of improvement to focus on, so I think this will be becoming my ‘pet’ project over the next couple of months.

Anyway, that’s just my two cents. Feel free to keep flaming away :p
  13. I love the way people offer such helpful advice and comments. :p

Stew said he was going up ahead and was gonna take some pikkies. So off we all dutifully trotted. Coming up to (what was a) sharp left hander, Stews bike is in the left lane. Mmmm, what's that, thought he was somewhere else. Basically, my first reaction was 'where's Stew? has something happened?' and not looking at the correct position for the corner. Anyway, seeing that there is bugger all coming down the other lane, the exit is wide and clear, I chose to let the bike run wide out of the corner as opposed to try to pull it back in.

I think a more representative critique of the relative riding skills (or lack thereof) of the people on the day can be achieved by reviewing either of the other two videos.

My flame proof suit has holes in it at the moment, so be gentle.
  14. With what was happening, I was definitely keeping one eye and ear open for any cars approaching from the other direction. If there was anything coming I would've been jumping up and down and telling everyone to slow right down.

Yes, the lessons there may be for the riders to always focus on the task at hand (turning the corner) rather than worrying about something quite irrelevant off the side of the road, but I can't shake the feeling that it would've been less of an issue if:

a) the riders had no warning
    b) the camera was on the inside exit, rather than the outside mid corner

I guess I somewhat expected that everyone would be okay with it, would see the parked bike up the road before the corner, and then actively focus on the corner even more. Instead it seems to have done just the opposite.

The lesson for the riders is the same one that I always harp on about, always look through the corner to where you want to go. Some of the riders who ran wide are excellent riders and it just shows that even the best of us can mess up when we suddenly have too much to think about.
  15. You guys all ran wide .....!! Need more riding skills.

Sorry can't help it :LOL:
  16. It was my first ride with these guys/guyettes. I personally didn't see anything that would typify them as "newbies" or whatever. No-one rode outside of their skill levels, and those who pushed it seemed to do so safely.

I followed one rider on a Suzy SV1000 (sorry, I wasn't introduced to her so I can't remember her name) but she handled Icy Creek Road with care and didn't get herself into trouble, despite the fact that it's a prick of a road, narrow, bugger all line markings in places and it was her first time on that road. And for all that she kept up a reasonable pace. Presumably the same applied to some of the other riders, all of whom made it there and back without doing anything silly.

I haven't watched the Thompson clip yet and as I wasn't there (I left for home from Walhalla) but I'm sure each rider wouldn't been doing anything silly there, either.

It was my first Netrider ride. If these guys are typical of the Netriders, then it's fairly safe to assume that most of us are reasonably competant for our skill/experience levels.
  17. I have to agree that even though we were expecting to see Cathar somewhere along the road, I saw the bike and thought WhereTF is he?

That corner actually has a decreasing radius, but is not usually a problem :oops: Next time Cathar, we pick the corner and tell you where to sit :LOL:

From what I saw on the day, everyone rode to their capabilities and this is also evidenced in an uneventful (but fun) ride without any mishaps and everyone arriving home safely.

Once again, thanks all for a great day.
  18. I didn't realise you were a Netrider ride virgin MJT, I would have shouted you a drink :grin: