Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Video of me turning the bike [VTR-250]

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by u095538, Jul 13, 2009.

1. #1 u095538, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Hi everyone.

Today I had my girlfriend snap some shots and take some video of me riding around some small twisties. The idea was so I could show a mate of mine for his feedback (professional rider). Haven't showed him yet but just seeing the shots have made me realise some areas of improvement. I reckon the head, and bike need to come up more.

What do you think?

I am eager for feedback. Thanks again for this supoib forum.

2. That's some pretty good technique there mate! Keep it up :)
  3. what tyres have you got on that trusty steed? make sure they're a good pair, as the further you push, unless the conditions are awesome, then the more chance they're gonna let go.

this is me hanging off like an idiot.

looking at that, it's pretty darn similar to what you're doing i think, you've got some easier to read shots though with the bike in line with the camera etc. i'm gonna stick with moving your bum off a lil more, and maybe head up and out further a tad. other than that i dont think there's much more i can suggest...

either way, im with Dougz, looks good to me :grin:

personal tip: be careful finding the limits of the bike, you're bloody close to them if not there already. it gets expensive :LOL:
  4. Rubbish. I've seen vtr exhausts being scraped and still stay upright. :p

That shot is me when I first started out on a VTR a few years back. As you can see, my body position is not quite right in the top half, however the bike has decent lean and is very stable.

The OP seems to be a bit more advanced than I was at his stage. Good for him :grin:
  5. and what speed was the bike going then? i bet rather low, allowing good grip. high speed, i'll believe it when i see it. im talking realistic road riding, road conditions, not a Rider Bro's Knee Down Course :p
  6. Before you go bagging something you know fcuk all about how about you go back to road riding school. I can lean a VTR to that angle no probs in "realistic road riding, road conditions" any day of the week. Not my problem if you can't keep the rubber side down.

Do us all a favour too and try not to make this a thread about how good you are again please :roll:
  7. im not crapping on about how awesome i am. clearly everyone knows im awesome.

it's my opinion Dougz. it doesnt make me any better a rider than you or anyone else. it's just an opinion. dont accept it of you dont want to. agreed though, lets keep this on topic.

keep practicing OP, you're doing bloody well.
  8. Thanks both of you for the encouragement. I showed my racing mate and after questioning me about looking through the turn, he said I'm doing fine in that area. He said some helmets make you look like you're looking @ the ground when you're not.

He basically said "Bum off the seat Georgie, bum off the seat!" He said the other cheek to the turn should be on the seat only. So while turning right, my left arse cheek should be the only one on the bike.

Got a track day coming up, I will coerce my other half to go take shots again to see the (hopefully) difference.

Only the stocky tyres that came with the VTR. I'm not sure what they are, but they're hard as a rock!. I'm really quite keen to get new tyres but only when it's time to. That is, when the current ones have little tread left. I just can't justify getting rid of the current tyres when there's still plenty of tread left :(

Any suggestions on tyres?

Thanks again for the encouragement, it's great to see your pics aswell. It helps to see the body position.

More feedback please! I can't get better if I don't know how :(
  9. Head does look a little low, but that doesn't mean your eyes aren't up and looking through the corner, so only you can really judge that. +1 for the body movement, it's what I find most difficult to get right.

Otherwise looking pretty good - it's hard to judge speed/clutch/throttle work, but if it feels smooth you're probably doing OK.

The only other thing that jumped out at me was taking a tight line through a right-hander on the road - if you can see well through the corner it's not such an issue, but it's a nasty shock finding something coming the other way when you're cranked over and too far right. Remember that if your wheels are just inside the centre line, when you lean over your head/body will be on the wrong side.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.
  10. i try to follow the opposite arse cheek rule. when you are learning it helps you remember to lean into a corner further. however don't fall into the trap of hanging a cheek off and leaning the opposite way by accident. i was told when you take the cheek off, drop your shoulder into the corner.
  11. #11 u095538, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Advice heeded!

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've been practising with the opposite arse cheek rule for two days now.

First impressions:

• I feel as though I am getting lower and the bike is staying more upright. However the only way to really tell is to take more photos (will try this weekend)
    • My legs are sore. Especially around my knees :) I'm having a track day in three weeks @ wakefield so I'm glad I'm building these muscles I need to use now instead of bailing on the track day half way through (or going back to how I use to turn).
    • Following the half-arse cheek rule I feel as though I have freed up the upper half of my body, I can easily get my head past the outside of my side-mirror now and it feels like I can use my head and even my inside-elbow to help me make the turn. That is, I /feel/ that with enough practise I could get my head and elbow to touch-down (I know you probably can't but that's how it feels).
    • With half my arse off I reckon I enter the corner well, however I automatically move during the turn (I think because the bitumen is scary) and by the time I begin to exit the corner I'm back in the saddle and the bike is low again :mad: I'm sure it's just a case of practise makes perfect.
    • The whole knee down thing. I'm not quite there yet. (I'm not really trying mind you, as all the experienced riders here say that it comes as an automatic thing, I'd much prefer to focus on turning properly and have it come naturally then focus on getting the knee down and developing bad habits) But I do feel as though, the way I'm turning, it's not really my knee which will be touching down but more part of my leg. Specifically, the side of my leg just below my knee. Is that right?

• The just-below-my-knee thing, is that right?
    • Can you develop bad habits with knee down? Or rather, is it true or false that if one is knee-ing down they pretty much can't turn wrong? For example, 4TvoeTfrQDw[/media]]this youtube vid is of a guy knee-ing down in a car park. It looks like his body is twisted, as though his upper-half is wrong. He simply plonks his lower-half of his body down and off the bike, he's not "leading with his shoulder" Is that a fair comment, or am I off track?
    • Should my legs be hurting the way they are? Or put another way, should I be turning the bike mainly with the muscles that are now hurting, which are my legs yes, but mainly around the knees? (I think the main muscle usage comes from moving myself back up onto the bike while existing a corner, or shifting to the other side of the bike when changing direction)

Thanks again for the feedback. Without the ability to read and post on this forum it would take much more time and money to learn properly.
  12. thats why knee sliders are generally located slightly below the knee, on the outside a bit :)

and regarding the sore legs, could be from pulling yourself back up on the seat etc, an generally holding on, it's physically pressing on parts of the leg like for me, inside and above my knee, lower inner thigh tends to get a litle sore after long days in the twisties.

im sure like anything, it's just building up the right muscles, and getting used to using them.
  13. nice Vid buddy, love the music to! nothing like a bit of good old Pennywise :cool: