Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Video conversion query for the techy minded

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TarmacSamurai, Aug 26, 2009.

1. OK, you guys have been very good with techy questions before. How about this:

Say I have a whole bunch of video files, mostly mpeg and avi and I want to convert them all to mp4 in order to store and watch them on an iPhone, what's the best way?

Is there free software that can do these conversions?

Is there a way to do a batch conversion or would I have to do each one seperately?

Any suggestions?
  2. iMovie & iDVD will both do what you want if you have a mac. If not toast titanium will do it.
  3. Quicktime will also but you may have to pro it.
    Look for qt serials to pro it.
    (one of the few times I reckon we should not have to pay for a "pro version" of an os app )
  4. ffmpeg is good for bulk encoding of stuff
  5. Video Convertor

Super is the one I have been using for a while, does an excellent job and converts most files to pretty much any format;

Free and it is for Windows.
  6. Re: Video Convertor

Thanks guys. I'm on a PC so no Mac software, even though I realise that would be best for this kind of job!

This one looks interesting - can it do batch converts?
  7. I've been using Handbrake for just that. Works pretty well. Adds the converted file to iTunes too, so you can sync it the normal way.
  8. Now that does look good!
  9. The simplest app that I know of is Vio (http://vio.thepiratebay.org/)

Its free, simple and you can get you vids ready for your iPhone in just two clicks.
  10. Thanks for all the tips guys. Given that the Vio one is exactly designed for what I'm after and you reckon it's 2-click easy, I'm going to give that one a go first! Thansk again all.
  11. Handbrake is the way to go IMO. Does most formats to mp4, good user interface too. It has a built-in preset to encode for an iPhone or iPod.