Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[vid] weird crash

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by Loz, Oct 7, 2008.

1. #1 Loz, Oct 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    http://au.[media=youtube]4hIvj84faQM[/media]

Looks like he loses the back end, goes to full lock at the front, holds the bike up on his knee and rolls off to the inside of the track. I've never seen one like this before!

2. In a sense it was a good save in terms of minimal damage to him and bike.
    I reckon he missed a gear and lost power.

3. Fuel running out at full lean can do that.

Ive also pushed the front, kept it up (still pushing the front) albeit at a huuuuge lean angle and run off the INSIDE of the track where the ripple strip kicked me airborne and upright. :shock: I stayed on though and didnt lose a place, I think the guy behind me was waiting to see where the wreckage went. :LOL:

4. He definitely went in a bit deep, but it looks like when he tried to turn the bike more, the front tucked to the right and slipped.......... when it gained grip again, the front wheel was still in the tucked position and steered him onto the grass.

5. well, he had a great line and setup for a powerslide...what a shame he didnt.
    the only reasonable explanation is false neutral, or power loss like smee said.
    remember that folks, never miss an opportunity to power slide.

6. yeah looks like he lost his front, regripped and the front took him on the tighter curve.

Cheers :cool:

7. Actually it looks to me like the steering head got stuck

8. Without tucking/pushing or losing power, the front never gets that far turned to be stuck there in the first place!

9. Yep.

Just looks like he couldn't get it back.

10. Educate me please guys, gravity got a hold of it and no amount of counter steer works ?? Cos at first glance i thought too that it had siezed itself until of course he sorts it out on the grass.

So if the power dies and bike falls toward turn angle, sudden power regain doesn't push front back out ?? Is weight and gravity void due to lack of motion here ?? Ergo bike characteristics fail due to lack of push ??

11. Everything is interwoven, so this could quite easily turn into a typical nerdrider thread. Keeping it simple... Countersteering will drop a bike into a lean. A continued input (or none in some cases) holds a given lean for a given speed for a given corner radius. Turning into the corner picks the bike back up. A bike is largely self correcting, so it does a lot of this itself, but if you are traveling too slowly for a given lean angle and a given corner radius the bike would fall over, this is corrected by turning into the corner or speeding up. The next bit which stuffs it all up, is that turning into the corner has anything from a diminished effect to no effect, if the front is either pushing, or sliding completely, and also, if full lock isnt enough there is no more left.

Full lock just isnt a normal input though, so for whatever reason the bike ended up massively out of whack with speed/radius/gravity/lean, and probably largely supported by his knee. This could be rear slide (you can often tuck the front trying to pick the bike up after saving a rear slide), loss of power (=loss of speed whilst at full lean, not fun), or pushing the front in the first place (washes speed off by itself, increases lean angle, turns in by itself, and most riders will shut the throttle off).

That got more wordy than I wanted. :oops:

12. Wordy or not, I got it all. ta bloke ;)

13. For a more comprehensive look into all the different ways to crash a bike, buy a motard. :LOL: