Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vid] Highest Skydive Ever - 31 km

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Jun 21, 2010.

1. #1 Ljiljan, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

2. wow - i dig that!
  3. amazing stuff, a little higher and he'd have to wear protective tiles and avoid burning up on re-entry
    Ok...a lot more but still had close to a space suit on. Geez -70 degrees.
  4. I was thinking the same thing. The only retarding force was friction, gotta get fairly warm. The part that really struck me was thinking ok he's getting close to the clouds now.... ok he's getting close to the clouds now.... ok he's getting close to the clouds now .... etc
  5. you know, i was relieved this didn't have redbull all over it. sick of that company plastering it's name on anything that's "cool".

true pioneering stuff!

top find.
  6. there's just no end to the crazy, unlilkely stuff we humans get up to, eh?? (y).
  7. Loved it. :)

According to the comments though, Redbull are plastered on another team looking to do a similar jump.
  8. There have been a few attempts at breaking this record, but all have either failed or wound up killing the guy.....

17,500 is a long way up to be pulling a ripcord..... He still had a good 2 minutes till he got to 2500' when you would normally do it.

9. Don't be hating on redbull. Anyone making soft drinks has bugger all actual costs and it all goes into advertising. CocaCola does feel good sh*t with beautiful people, Redbull sponsors people doing crazy sh*t and a lot of motorsport
  10. they also have the energy drink / extreme sports image to maintain.
  11. redbull is cool only by association.

basically buying it's way. so yes, no different to coke etc...
  12. You have missed my point. They are all just expensive, fizzy, sugary water. But one of the brands of expensive fizzy and sugary water puts a lot of money into things we love. I don't drink it, but I like the fact that they sponsored more than 1 race I have entered, they do the Redbull rookies cup, they entertain etc etc. So yay for redbull. I hope they continue to plaster their branding over stuff into the future, which they do not do for free.
  13. I just went and had a look at the website.

They make a big deal about this guy 'optimising his body position to go supersonic'.... crap, joe kittinger did it by falling out of the balloon like a sack of spuds. The air is so thin up there that theres not much in the way of drag stopping you so your going to make supersonic anyway. Having jumped from a balloon myself (from a lot lower alitude and without a space suit) for the first bit after you jump you cant do anything about your body position cause you dont have enough air flowing over your bod to even flip yourself the right way round so you can do nothing until you accelerate to the point where you have air to work with

The also mentioned that one of the dangers was the guy getting an 'embullism'(yup that is the spelling). Is this a medical condition that occurs when you dont drink enough red bull at high altitude ? I think they mean embolism.....

Another shining moment from the rocket scientists in the marketing dept.

The dude who proof read the article needs to be sacked too

14. I once had a helium balloon. It was red. I accidentally let go of the string and it floated away. This made me sad. :(
  15. ...and I thought I was the only one..*whimpers* wanna hug?
  16. The air is much thinner at altitude, so drag is much lower. Terminal velocity is much higher.
  17. only about 1000 km/h at negative stupidly cold temperature. It also changes with regard to material elasticity but that doesn't really come into consideration for this purpose.

read the thread, really. a few people have already commented on the lack of air.

if you watched the vid you would have seen that bloke got up to mid 900's before slowing down.