Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Victorian unlicensed trail riding - Where to take the kids

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jumble, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could suggest any places where it is possible to take kids riding on unregistered bikes. I am not interested in a Motor Cross track with jumps etc because the kids are not skilled enough to do jumps (either am i!)

we just want a legal place to burn around on easy terrain.

Anywhere within a 2 hour drive of melbourne would be of interest.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Re: Victorian unlicensed trail riding - Where to take the ki

the best place i know of is
    it is 110 klm from Boronia
    1 & 1/4 hour drive

to get there go straight through healesville to taggerty
    (turn right) Taggerty /eildon road

14 klm along there is the rubicon road (horse riding sign ) turn Right

keep going along the bitumen past the Rubicon township
    and over the lil bridge
    then you are on dirt road
    keep going to the power station
    park any where around there and have fun

just as you are seeing the power station there is a bridge to your left that is the royston road
    Just over that bridge is a track called Herbs track
    that will take you for miles and literally miles into the bush

Or go over the lil bridge at the power station and head up river road
    that will also take you up along to meet up with Royston road

Please be aware of traffic on the Royston road

there is literally 1000's opf klm of tracks throughout that region

If you want to stay in the eare over night there is Kendals A
    on Left approx 2 klm in of bitumen)

and Kendals B camping area's
    approx 4 klm in
    along the rubicon road (along dirt section )

there is the rubicon river running right beside both camping area's
    and Long Drop dunny's at Both camping area's

NO log trucks run on this road a sunday's

Have fun and stay safe

Yes i lived there in the area and know it Well
    (over the last 9 years)
  3. Re: Victorian unlicensed trail riding - Where to take the ki

I just spent the long weekend 4wding in the area you just mentioned. Came across a fair few trailbike riders too. All seemed to be having a great time.
  4. Sorry folks, but riding unlicenced and/or unregistered bikes/cars etc on public land will get you fined. This also includes riding off road. Private owned land is about the only place you can rideunlicenced and unregistered without the chance of getting pinned. Know anyone with a bush block or a paddock they don't mind you tearing up? Maybe try a motoX track somewhere.

DSE/Parks officers powers are contained in the Forests Act 1958, and supplemented by the Land Conservation (Vehicle Control) Regulations 2003. The recent introduction of the Safety on Public Land Act 2004 (SoPLA) and the Road Management Act 2004 (RMA) provide additional legislative tools.

Victorian Trail Bike Initiative Site

Oh...and one last point. Log carting can change depending on the contractors carrying out the harvesting and transport, what stage of harvesting a coupe is at, what arrangement they have with VicForests and DSE, and what the weather's like. In ANY area where harvesting and carting occurs, ALWAYS be on the lookout for log trucks.

5. HI Neil

You seem to know a lot about the laws
    are one of the DSE worker is this Your territory ?

b i was not dampening this mans activity with his children and i am SURE he Would know all the clap trap surrounding trail bike riding anywhere
    as soon as you go into a shop nowadays you are told of the pit falls and no where to ride anymore

Neil If you know the area i spoke of
    then you should know that Lloyd Gould himself (RIP lloyd ) is the one that many many years ago organised & ceased the loggers working and carting on sundays ,there is more to that i won't go in to .....

actually If anyone can't hear of see a Log truck then they should be nowhere near a road
    as they are not vigilant enough of what surrounds them

as for trail bike riding
    it is becoming rediculouse No one can do a darned thing withlout some New law or other

Yes i do know about those laws as well

but it is not policed as Harshly in the country
    Unless you are literally destroying vegitation

I Feel dismayed and dissapointed for everyone in every field of outdoor sports includeing horse riding
  6. In this day and age of litigation I wouldn't be letting people ride on land I owned unless they were licensed and had TAC coverage.

You leave yourself wide open if the rider comes unstuck on any sort of obsticle on your land just like a burglar can sue if they get hurt while breaking into your house. It would be even worse if you build your own Motocross track on your land for others to use as you created the problem.
  7. Couldnt have said it better myself Neil. Bad Trail riders only have themselves to blame (I used to be one). Stick to the frigging tracks or it will only get harder for you/us all.
  8. Ah, the log truck.

The natural enemy of the DSE & Telstra vehicle, I've lost count of the number of near misses I've had with them over the years on those forestry tracks. Not to mention DSE vehicles going the other way on one lane tracks :shock:
  9. Ah yes, but as a great man once said....Its only illegal if ya get caught.
    I'm with you lady rider, it is a real shame that its so much trouble to be able to have some fun on a trail bike these days. :(
  10. hi everyone, thanks for all your responses.

i think i will go check out rubicon myself since it sounds like a good spot but I am still after any suggestions for private tracks that don't have jumps so i can take the kids for a ride without getting busted by DSE or the police :)

thanks again for all your comments, :)
  11. Yes, its no fun when your confronted by a big wall of kenworth mid corner. Thats where the UHF comes in handy. Think its ch 21 off road up there.
  12. I'd never profess to be a lawyer (or involved in enforcement) - there'll all just to wacky for words. I used to work for DSE (and sort of still do) and yes, Central FMA including the Rubicon Ranges was a part of my area (I had more of a regional role)

I'm glad the information is getting out there. It is, however, disappointing that the current climate of litigation has promoted more regulations to be introduced to limit many recreational activities. Thankfully, to date, a level of discretion can still be found and many rangers may turn away if the activity is well supervised, safe, and not disturbing anyone (not that all will, of course - even I have had experiences with rude, obnoxious and right royal pains in the arse that tend to make you less...um...gracious!) Staff numbers also limit the extent to which regulations can be enforced.

(Assuming that you mean Lloyd Gould, of GCH et al). Never had the pleasure of meeting the man himself (well, I can't recall more like) and I understand he worked hard to provide limits to the hours worked by harvesting crews, which increased safety to an enormous extent. However, times have changed, and 7 day carting may be approved in certain circumstances, as well as 24 hour carting (which is rarer and more common in some plantations). Since the creation of VicForests and a change the method of pricing, sales, licencing and the like, syndicated logging and carting has had to review business models to some extent (although by this stage I was only on the periphery of the commercial harvesting side)

Couldn't agree more. It's not as if they can hide under a stick!

Many of these regulations come not from revenue raising (not talking about speeding here etc) but a risk management approach to minimise the possibility of litigation. Add to this a touch of multiple forest users (both commercial and recreational), delineating responsibility for ongoing costs (Roads Act) and the dimwits who go walking poorly prepared, destroy tracks/remove roadbloacks, burn toilets, light wildfires etc etc etc and trying to manage our public forests for all users. Also add a bit of knee jerk reaction and noisy political lobbyists to the mix.

It is a shame to see forest management go down this path, but there are ever increasing pressures on public land to be everything to everyone, and no-one all that willing to compromise and co-operation with government is superficial (dare I say from both sides of the fence...well...that'll get me sacked!) The recreational fishing lobby is as powerful as 4WD Victoria as The Wilderness Society as whichever BUG as Mountain Cattlemen as Motorcycling Victoria etc etc. In many ways, climate change will force some very difficult and complex questions re forest utilisation to be asked, and answered! (Buts thats another story).

Last point - it has been a while since I have been directly involved in forest management/harvesting operations etc, so things may have progressed since. Furthermore, the impact of bushfires will also change the carting arrangements and areas that are accessible to public. Standard disclaimer applies (before anyone goes off their nut at me!)

Don't get me started on reductions in sustainable sawlog yields!....uh oh...disclaimer etc etc again!

PS All the trucks are fitted with UHF, and the channels vary depending on location. It will be painted on a tree somewhere on the way into a coupe. Either that or keep the UHF on scan - you'll pick up the "anyone on the way up Royces Track?" pretty quick! And don't be afraid to respond!
  13. So where do jumble and I take our kids for a blat? I do not want to face the missus after I have had "those bloody waste of money blah blahs' confiscated?

I would love to introduce my little tackers to some dirt bike action :grin:
  14. I taught my kids for years out in the state park up around the back of Labertouch and Nerrim south and had many an encounter with DSE and Mr Plods, they can and will fine you if your a complete tool BUT if your polite to them they will generaly let you off. you can do a few things and you may get away with it (i did many a time), heres some hints:

Make sure bikes have at least Rec Reg and are in good condition (especialy not too loudor smokey).
    Make sure you have a bike and bike licence and ride with the kids.
    Dont hoon up and down the roads and be a knob.
    Make sure you and kids have all the correct safty gear.
    When you get pulled up (and you will) Be polite, explain that you want to give your kids as much training and experiance as possible before they get on the road.
    If your kids are 16 or over they will probably fine them.
    Be prepared to cop a fine anyway (not sure on the $$$ these days) IMHO it's worth it too give your kids the training for later years.
  15. Woodsy is pretty well spot on (although you may still get someone who's had a crap week, dealt with dozens of complaints about hoon riders and is just generally pissed off that he's been forced to sort it out, or is just a prick!)

How people reacted to me in the bush definitely had an effect on whether you'd use a level of discretion. Remember that rangers aren't paid too well, and there's other things they'd like to do on the weekends. If you chat to them, there's a chance they'll direct you to good trails that you didn't know exist, or when and if they may be returning and who with. If you call into the office beforehand and ask them if there are any big events or areas to avoid (active harvesting) that can also help - it shows an interest and that you aren't out to ride just anywhere or become a danger to yourself and others.

Also, make sure your campsite/car park is clean, make an effort to be environmentally aware, and have a few copies of the Trail bike riding code in a jacket pocket or on the seat of the car (although this does state stuff about the laws etc re unlicenced and unregistered vehicles).

Remember, be nice, show an interest, and follow Woodsy's advice - it won't guarantee that you'll get off, but it'll improve your chances.

Be a complete stuck up tool who tells them what their job should be and how you know so much better than any F&*kwit in a uniform and you'll end up poorer. Lot's poorer - and not only for riding unregistered/unlicenced (And yes, it is suprising how often you get that!)

16. this is the type of thing i am after. thanks for the suggestion. it is a shame it is so far away! :)