Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Victorian police harass SA motorists for not displaying vehicle registration stickers

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dsyfer, Sep 23, 2012.

1. It can't be that hard can it ](*,)

So police directives in Vic are done by statewide email, awesome (hope everyones email is working and gets read if any important directives come out)

2. Funny timing, this - cleaned my chain yesterday and since my tube is attached to the chain guard, I nearly didn't put it back on (NSW lose ours at the end of the year...).
    I figured that I'd be fine in Sydney, but what made me re-attach it is the realisation I'm going down to Melbourne next month...
    It must be nice though, living in a state where apparently murder and r@pe don't happen, and coppers have time to run around checking everyone for compliance to something...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You would be fined in Sydney. As you know, the rego label has to be displayed until 1 January 2013. A friend has already paid the price.
    Fvcken oath :evil:
  4. That right there explains the situation perfectly.

Having lived in Stawell I'm not surprised that the cops there are still up to their old game of harassing non-locals on the highway. I remember one particular occasion where they pulled over and defected every single car over a short period of time (enough to meet their quota). This included a car that was less than a week old for supposedly having a pitted and worn out windscreen.
  5. wooot Tassie has no stickers as of september 2012 so i dont have to worry about my car or my CBR..... should have registered the other bikes there too and saved on some stamp duty!
  6. Harassment? Interesting (deliberately inflammatory?) choice of wording. I can't imagine the coppers have any desire to process paperwork if they genuinely know it's a waste of time. What would be the point?

There are thousands of laws that coppers are expected to have a "working knowledge" of, and they keep changing. In this case, a change to SA's rego sticker rules may not have been communicated effectively to "some" Victorian police, which resulted in... umm, what exactly? "Concerns" about "hundreds" being "targeted" as a result of two (alleged) fines in four weeks. :jerk:

As far as sending update emails goes, what would a better alternative be? Paper updates sent to cop shops and filed in a huge book somewhere that may or may not be read? Bulletins pinned to walls that also may or may not be read? Briefings that people may not be present for? Shrug.
  7. Because they may still meet their performance targets, and SA plates are easy to spot.

Can't find the article but I remember an incident from a while back where police were found to be deliberately covering the small hole on breathalyzer units (which provides a reference sample) because this would result in a reading that would require the driver to be referred to the booze bus. Didn't matter that the driver would then be found clear - as the performance of the cop stopping the cars was based on how many they referred to the bus on suspicion of drink driving.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I'm still going to go with ignorance over conspiracy. There's no substance at all in this article. A couple of people allegedly got an incorrect fine that they were able to have overturned easily. Somehow that became "harassment", and "hundreds" being "targeted". Load of old toss.

I know there's a lot of mistrust/paranoia regarding the police on here, and given our particular niche group it's understandable. The rozzers do pay extra attention to bikers. Unfortunately there's enough dickheads on bikes to make it worth their while.

I'm not saying there's no such thing as corruption in the police force, but most of the coppers I know are just trying to do their job. They're human (mostly), and they make mistakes occasionally. This particular mistake is hardly life-threatening. It's barely even newsworthy without loading the article with a bunch of extraneous crap.
  9. Possibly a written directive to the traffic police, something along the lines of, SA don't use rego stickers anymore. I'm quite hopeful that the laws that are changed are passed on to police in a better and more 'legalish' type manner than a group email.

Perhaps the officer issuing the ticket could also use some 'initiative' as I'm pretty sure the drivers would have informed the officer that SA doesn't issue rego stickers anymore. Anyone with a smartphone could find out pretty quick.

But I forgot that 'initiative' is being fased out along with beards and any form of individuality.
  10. Doubt it. A regular updates email would sound to me like the most efficient and effective way of communicating changes to all staff, given that all staff are REQUIRED to read them. Sending out heaps of bits of paper sounds horribly inefficient to me.

Smartphone? How about radio, since all coppers have them. Wouldn't have taken much assuming the cop involved was inclined to get clarification at the time. Perhaps the drivers were belligerent, perhaps there were additional issues (speeding, reckless driving, drunk-driving etc.) and the rego thing was just tacked on. We're only talking about two known fines.
  11. The bit that annoys me is I can see an honest SA motorist saying something like "excuse me officer but South Australia abolished registration stickers about a year ago" and the police offer still booking them.

I don't know about you but I absolutely hate being called a liar when I'm telling the truth!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. So ignorance of the law is no excuse for us but it is for the cops, according to gobberwart anyway.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Yeah, I can also see a belligerent arsehole driver saying "hey fvckhead we don't have fvckin' rego stickers any more ya dumb constable!" and receiving a less than helpful response.

Neither of us was there, so we don't know what really happened.

What I do know is that coppers don't get congratulated by their superior officers for giving out bogus fines to meet quotas.
  14. At no point did I say it was OK for the cops to give these incorrect fines. Please don't twist my words.

EDIT: Whoever the cops involved are, they screwed up and I'd expect them to get their arses kicked for it. My point was that two fines does not make for harassment and/or conspiracy to target anyone. If you got anything else from my words, then either I wasn't clear or you misread something.
  15. The overtone of your posts appeared to be defending the cops ignorance of the law, that's all I was saying. If I misread you, so be it, it wasn't a personal attack on you, not yet anyway.
  16. Hell no, that was definitely not the impression I wanted to give. I can see where it might have come from though - that bit where I said they're human. No, it's not good enough. Someone wasn't paying attention and needs their arse kicked. Hopefully that happened.

Conspiracy theories give me the shits. Inflammatory articles likewise. I was surprised not to see the word "bungle" in there somewhere to be honest. That's all I was getting at.
  17. Any day I can have a dig at highway coppers is a good day, they've been spoiling my fun for half a century.
  18. Police harassment comes in many forms eg. issuing TIN's in error, laying bogus charges, making false statements, misusing police powers and so on. Anyone who has been given a fine for an offence which was not committed is entitled to that belief and the number of fines issued is irrelevant to whether or not it constitutes harassment.

19. A couple of people received one erroneous TIN each, and the recipients were able to have their fines overturned fairly easily. The error appears to be legitimate, so far as we know. There is no evidence of malicious intent on behalf of the police, nor was the behaviour repeated towards the same person, so I'd be curious to know where this would fit under any kind of legal definition of harassment.

The act of harassment (repeated, agressive behaviour) is very different to feeling harassed (which just requires that one be extremely delicate). Sure, someone may well be "entitled" to believe they're feeling harassed, but that doesn't mean I have to respect them for it if it seems excessive.
  20. Barely.