Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Victorian Licence Test - points values

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by The Snout, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Recently gained my learners permit and have been practicing, enjoying it all very much.

I'll be going for my licence around August/September and it says that a pass is accumulating 40 points or less.

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the point values were on the test for the various violations, like going over the line in the corner test etc etc etc.

2. Snouty,

Dont stress on it too much, just enjoy the day.

Essentially the only way you can fail is if you were to fall off the bike when you pre-empt the lights.

On the corner test, I think the most points you can lose is 6 or 8 on each corner and then you lose points on the swerve/emergency stop based on the speed you do and it calculates how far you should swerve at that speed or how long it takes you to stop.
  3. If you book yourself in for the practice session plus the test you are unlikley to fail as they wont test you if they dont think you're up to it (instructor once told me).
    However they come down hard on people who just show up for the test.

Good luck.

EDIT: The VIC P's test is easier than the L's.
  4. The thing about the corner test is that its better to go through slow, than to go through fast and touch a line - you lose less points. Go in slow, come out fast after you've lined up the exit - its easy...I was really surprised how easy.

As for the braking/swerve test, wait for the lights to tell you what to do and you should easily pass. There's no peg scrapping swerve that you barley survive - its just turn in the direction of the light.
    If you guess what the light is going to say you'll make a hack of it like I did on my first run. Luckily you have lots of points to play with. :grin:

Honestly I think they could halve the amount of points they allow and most people would still pass.
  5. for the left and right curve the max points for each is 8, so if you touch a line it is automatically 8 points, the computer readout gives you a speed graded score.
    For the quick stop you get graded by the computer on the distance it takes (this is varied by the speed you go through the timing zones at), if you do a "wrong skill", ie you turn instead of stopping you get an auto 25 points. You have to do 2 quick stops.
    For the left and right evasive turns the max points are 8 for each one. This is determined by the computer.
    I will post a pic of my report from my test that will explain it a bit better.

Cheers, AdzA
  6. Thanks all for the feedback.

Wasn't aware it had computer calculations so that'll be interesting. I'm sure I'll be confident going into it, I just like knowing the rules of engagement so to speak.
  7. It is a easy test, just don't daydream like I did in the first quick stop. Thats why I got 8 points for it :(

8. The testing officer/instructor will go thru what is involved, if not ask.

Cheers and best of luck
  9. Should we all do one of those per year?
  10. I just completed my Licence course and test yesterday and really if you take it easy, stay calm and don't overcook anything, you'll be fine. You won't get a medal for accumulating the lowest score. If they run a Licence course, you would be well advised to take the course before taking the test. I got a lot of good practical info out it which isn't tested i.e. u-turns in a 9 metre box, braking while cornering.

I only managed a 30 out of 40 and looking at my score sheet I scored poorly on my quick-stop tests. Lost a heap of points (19) on them (Stop 1: Actual 21, Standard 10; Stop 2: Actual 22, Standard 14). :mad: Did pretty well in my left and right turns, as well as my left and right swerves (although I made a bit of a hash of left swerve, but only lost 2 points :grin: ).

Anyways, two things I would like to impart from my experience. I've said it before but the most important thing is just stay calm. Don't get all stressed out that ooooooo "it's a test". Just ride as you normally ride (assuming you've clocked some time/kms under your belt). That's what the test is really there for: to test that all the riding you've done is really the goods.

The other thing I want to impart is to take any practice runs of the stop/swerve test seriously. Ask the instructor if you'll be given any random runs. Random being the key-word. When our group did our practice runs, we did left/right swerves followed by quick-stop. Left/right swerves were fine cos the instructor would randomly point which way he/she wants you swerve. The quick-stops weren't so good cos you could anticipate them; cos you know it's a quick-stop, you prepare mentally. The light test is completely random, so you just can't set your frame-of-mind to "yep I'm gonna do a quick-stop" cos if it turns out to be a left swerve you will absolutely make a hash of it. There was a poor lady who got caught out on a brake test and I think it had to with us not doing enough random quick-stops intermixed with swerves. She had been braking fine all-day (we all were, I was pulling up as good as standard, if not better) but I think there wasn't the mental preparation of "this is random" that made her grab her brakes too hard and unfortunately she did drop the bike. :( After seeing her drop I pretty much said to myself exactly what I'm telling you here: just take it easy, you're not getting a medal for this, even if you don't pull up fast enough or swerve far enough, you have 40 points to lose, and unless you absolutely do not stop or swerve you won't lose more than 40 points, better to get 39/40 than to drop the bike, just trust you have the skill to do it adequately enough to pass.
  11. Thanks for the scanned test and the words of experience of doing it.

Pretty much what I hope to expect, don't anticipate the left right stop test, just see what light comes up then react. Seems the only problem you get into is trying to guess it before it comes up, so just let it happen.

By the time I get tested I'll have a lot more k's on the road anyway so should be pretty confident.