Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Victorian Company eliminates Piston Rings

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Victorian company’s ringless air-seal system could revolutionise combustion engine design
    A Victorian company is working on a technology with potentially major implications for future petrol and diesel engine design.

Warrnambool-based engineering consultancy Dynex has come up with a piston design that eliminates the spring-metal ring traditionally used to form a seal between the piston and the wall of the combustion chamber.

Motoring.com.au

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Interesting, also using a scotch yoke in place of a normal connecting rod and crankpin in their demo model.

3. Nothing new. I've had loads of engines which didn't have piston rings. They (sorta) worked, even if they did smoke a bit and could be bastards to start :D.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. But we're they MEANT to have no piston rings, or had they disintegrated due to poor metal or bad lubrication??? :LOL:

5. Very cool.

6. They're at the point where they need investors to inject some money so they can build a prototype.....

7. #7 Incontinentia, Jan 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
    It must. There's no other way really.

This sort of bullshit annoys me. I suppose it's valveless, has no bearings and the piston never gets hot?

In all honesty it's doomed from the start. There is a reason you don't see flat engines in cars anymore.