Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Victorian anti-hoon laws and motorcycles

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Mouth, Jul 9, 2006.

1. “If police have reasonable grounds for believing a motorist has committed a hoon-related offence, they will be able to seize that vehicle for 48 hours, either through impoundment or by way of on-site immobilisation,” Mr Holding said.

“Any driver committing a second hoon-related offence within three years may have their vehicle impounded for up to three months."

“And if a person is found guilty of three hoon-related offences inside three years, their vehicle can be permanently forfeited by the Court.

“In other words, three strikes and the vehicle’s out: sold by the State of Victoria, which will keep the proceeds.”

Vehicles can be impounded, immobilised or confiscated if drivers commit any of the following hoon-related offences:
    · Improper use of a motor vehicle, where the driver has intentionally caused one or more tyres to lose traction;
    · Exceeding the speed limit by 45 kph or more (or travelling at over 145 kph in a 110kph zone);
    · Engaging in a race or speed trial; and
    · Repeat ‘drive whilst disqualified’ behaviour.

The following will also be considered hoon-related offences if they are committed in circumstances involving the improper use of a motor vehicle:
    · Dangerous driving;
    · Careless driving;
    · Failure to have proper control of the vehicle; and
    · Causing a vehicle to make excessive noise or smoke.

So, a bike can now be confiscated if;
    * Excess speeding
    * Mono's or stoppies
    * Racing away from lights with other bikes
    * Riding without a bike license, or > 250cc if still on restrictions.

Hmmm ...

2. So if 2+ (powerful) bikes happen to be at the front of lights and take off at a quick pace (not meaning to race) this can be considered as hooning and bikes impounded for a time? :roll:

3. If it looks like a race, sounds like a race .....

4. So revving a bike with loud pipes qualifies you as a hoon?
    They better start building some big impound yards.

5. i'm sure police will use some common sense/discretion before charging people, unless of course your an idiot and need a attitude adjustment, than the cops will be on you like a flash.

6. Perhaps some of you should think about moving to NSW? :LOL:

As for doing stunts and burning rubber etc...there is nothing they can do if you are on private property.

In fact the police themselves need permission from the property owner to be on his premises in the first place.

It's debatable for example, that if you do a burnout in a Macca's car park, the police see you and intend to issue you with an infringement...but the manager of the Macca's says it's not a problem as far as he is concerned...that they can ticket you there at all.

It's why I and a couple of others always do any silly stuff on the premises of large industrial places around Sydney that are closed for the night but
    do not have or lock any gates.

The police realise there is little they can do, especially if the owner of the property informs them you were not trespassing and he isn't worried about you being there. Before they ticket you in such a place they are obliged to check with the property owner or the security patrol company.
    If you don't inform the police of this fact they will probably pretend to be unaware of it.

7. How many runners is this legislation going to create? As it stands at the moment I will certainly not stop if I'm doing 25+ over the limit. And thats only loosing your license -let alone your vehicle.

8. The only way to go! :roll:

OR

Don't get caught :twisted:

9. The opposition tossbag stated that they will only impound vehicles if they are caught being in the "spot of concentrated efforts" or someshit.

In otherwords, they will target specific areas to use this legislation, if the vehicles are not in that area they cant act on this new legislation.

*shrug*

10. Jaqhama: Yeah I know plenty of industrial park owners and McDonald's managers that'd happily tell the police that they're A-OK with your fcuking around on their property! :roll:

11. I mentioned it because in the Shire a few of therm do.
    One of the locals Maccas owners does outrageous stuff in his car park when theres no customers around. :LOL:

12. Ahah that's not fair, I want a Maccas like that near me!

13. Having a read of a few online news stories about this last night and it seems as though at least a couple of country areas don't have any impound facilities setup yet so they can't implement the law at the moment....I'm sure that will change pretty quickly though.

14. yep this definitely means more runners and more private property shenanigans

15. Not debatable at all. Car Parks are treated as public roads, and hence are subject to the relevant road rules.

And I'd suggest that these laws would have the intent of targeting such venues, as well as those large industrial estates where these drag races occur.

On another note, if you're passed by a copper going the other way, or one even following you, up the Reefton Spur and you're dragging the knee just a tad, would that be considered as "hooning"?

16. That's re-assuring to a degree, but I'd wager that the 'spot of concentrated efforts' crap isn't in regulation, it's simply and enforcement directive. A quick change of heart from the brass and that's out the window. I always get edgy when cops get this much power and we simply hope they don't abuse it in 10 years time.

Look at speed cameras - they promised they would only be used in 'blackspots', and now they are part of engineered design of most new roads...

Give them an inch, and they'll eventually take a mile.

17. road laws are applicable to ALL public roads.

A public road is any place accessible to the public ie if your driveway was used as a shortcut to another road and there was no gates or signage to prohibit public entry then YOUR property is considered public road in the eyes of the law.
    Dont believe me? Then go do a burnout at maccas and tell the officer to piss off cause "hes on private property" lol.

Dragging your knee or even revving out your bike is considered hooning. One is an "exhibition of speed" and the other is "excessive noise".

Cops dont seem to pick on bikes too much ATM but if attention is ever turned towards us riders in the same way the car guys get it then EVERYONE will be loosing their bike for a day or for forever...

18. how would they tow your bike away ?
    you cant just throw it on the back of a tilt tray like a car it will fall over and smash the fairings etc and i presume most tow truck drivers would not carry equitment to strap a bike down properly

19. I'd say its more an enforcement practicality.....they need to have a way of carting the impounded vehicle to where it will be stored so catching them near a vehicle transport or where excess officers are available to get them to where they need to go just makes it easier.

The Police probably also need to think about how to get the drivers and passangers to a place where they can arragne thier new mode of transport for the rest of thier journey.

20. My understanding of the anti-hoon laws in NSW is that they can be enforced anywhere, but are being specifically enfoced in known areas of trouble, ie Hickson Road under the southern part of the Bridge, and Brighton-le-Sands on Saturday and Sunday nights..... Maybe that's how they'll be used in Vic.

Also I have not heard of a bike being impounded under these laws, just lots of cars....