Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VicRoads Lams List - How comprehensive? (Vic)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by GreyBM, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Have been lookng for a suitable LAMS bike for LizzyM who due to ducks disease requires a low seat height.

The Yamaha XJ600 meets the height requirements and I thought that our previous research had shown it to be LAMS legal. However a recent check of the VicRoads list of LAMS bike shows it to be conspicuously absent from the list of LAMS bikes.

Did we make a mistake originally or is the list only a guide which doesn't include all LAMS bikes? How comprehensive is the VicRoads Lams list?
  2. It comes in at 162 kw/tonne - you may have used the gross weight (with fuel) when you calculated it the first time.

It's 187Kg tare weight and 44.9 kw

This is how it's calculated:

The power to weight ratio is a measure of the motorcycle's performance and is a better indicator of performance than engine capacity alone. The power output (kilowatts) is divided by the tare weight of the motorcycle + 90 kg (for rider and fuel). The result is then multiplied by 1000 (to convert to kw per tonne).
  3. Thanks guys.

Not sure how I got it in mind that it met LAMS. Must have got my LAMS list confused with my low height bike list.
  4. What are the restrictions on using 25cc scooter to commute to footy training( apprx 1km) in contry town. Helmet, license, etc.
  5. Not sure where you are Geoff but in Victoria:

A vehicle powered by a petrol motor or electric motor with a maximum power of 200 watts or more is a motor vehicle, not a scooter, and can only be used on the road if it meets the requirements for registration, is registered and the rider has a motorcycle licence or learner permit. However, it can be used on private property.

Vic Roads: Scooters and Wheeled Devices
  6. Holy hell someone must have used the search function.
  7. I've been involved on this issue and I'm currently working for a company whose converting AusPost bicycles to electric powered as they are thinking of replacing many postie motos with these.

We looked at 25cc engines and they easily had an output of over 200w.
    We're fitting 350w electric motors to the posties and restricting them down to 250w as they have an exemption for the extra 50w due to the weight of the mail then need to carry.
    Bottom line is that at full throttle, 200w would be pushing an average weight rider at 25kph on the flat under power alone.
    Handy for people who are not very fit but use their pushies where there are a few hills.

Waist of money and weight in my book as I easily move my road pushy at around 35kph on the flat and the pros can average in the mid 50ies.
  8. i have used your formula and for my bike (not lams) but wanted to see what i get and this is the answer

9. You may have made a slight mistake!

For example a 1986 GSXR400 Suzuki has 39kw of raw screaming power.

It's tare weight is 176kg

We add 90kg for rider/fuel which comes to 266kg.

Dividing 35 by 266 gives us .14662 (approx)

Multiplying this by 1000 gives 146.62 kw/tonne (which in fact makes it one of the higher power to rate ratio LAMS bikes)

If you didn't make a mistake you must have a very light bike with an amazing engine :)
  10. Very interesting to run the calculation. I always assumed my Ducati Monster 600 would be pretty close to the LAMS power-to-weight ratio limit as it always seemed to fairly easily outrun most L-plated bikes (though in real life than only really amounts to being able to comfortably overtake on the freeway, where others are pushing it :p ).

With a tare weight of 175kg, plus 90kg for the rider and fuel, it comes to 265kg.

And with a 53hp (39.5kw) output, that brings it to 149.13kw/tonne - so it just slips under.
  11. A1=bike weight
    A2=rider allowance, fuel, etc.

Put that into excel.