Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vicquote RWC experience

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by killer848, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I have just sold a bike of mine and had to get a RWC of course.
    It was fairly urgent and this time of year is difficult to find places that are open so I decided to go with anyone who could fit me in.

This happened to be Vicquote in fitzroy.
    Unfortunately this was not a good experience and a very expensive one as well.
    For a 2 year old bike, no modifications with under 3,000 kms on the clock I was charged a total of $209 and told that they had to replace the brake fluid because it was contaminated.

Now the last RWC I had done 6months ago at a different place was on a slightly older bike, cost me $100 less and no mention of brake fluid tests. Go figure right?

I call total BS on the brake fluid thing, apparently it's boiling point was to low therefore no good. Fair enough if that's the case, but when the hell is my cruiser going to be ridden hard enough that the brake fluid will reach boiling point?
    I rode it there this morning and the brakes were fine!
    I have sent plenty of vehicles through RWC's and never once has anyone done a boiling point test on the brake fluid. Especially on a bike so new, never ridden in the rain and garaged all the time.

Anyway was wondering if anyone else out there knows of this place or has had a bad experience with them?

I'm completely pissed off at the cost of getting a factory standard bike through RWC with these rip off merchants.
  2. Never dealt with them but I too call BS on the boiling point of your brake fluid. Unless of course they can produce the test results where they took a measured quantity of your fluid and ran it through some sort of boiling unit. This kind of thing happens all the time with RWC. They could get a mere $45 for looking over the bike and signing the paperwork but they will almost always find something wrong. I can only recall 1 clean RWC in the last 10 years of riding.
  3. Sounds suss.
  4. Yeah brake fluid BS.

They all find random shit they're not meant to so they can stall your roadworthy and then get some extra cash out of you.

My dude wanted me to buy a new left handlebar because it 'was slightly bent' and believed 'bar end mirrors are not roadworthy'. Also some other mechanical work.

I said I'd do it all myself. He wasn't pleased but couldn't say no.

The process needs to change..something along the lines of

They give your bike a 'quote' on what needs to be done. If you're happy then you can do it with that mechanic. If not, no charge, and you can go elsewhere. No more bs quotes here.
  5. I would have asked for the RWC reg that points to brake fluid.

Having said that, it's recommended that it's replaced every two years.
  6. #6 MV, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    You're upset because they fixed something that could have resulted in a massive component failure?

Or that they charged you for the privilege?

There's no brake fluid test for the RWC of course, but the brake function is part of the RWC, & brake fluid is a critical part of the braking system

You could have let them fail it, replace the fluid yourself & bring it back within 7 days, all good.

For what it's worth the last RWC I got cost $140 alone, no repairs necessary.

It's a bit simpler than that: http://www.kincromegroup.com/web/media/media.php?ss=1&AID=545

Dip that in & it tells you how much water the fluid has picked up.

I don't understand how people are calling BS on this...
  7. Where's the reg on brake fluid quality?
  8. There's two thing I can see that would cover it:

9. Thanks for all the responses and interest guys,

I do realise that I could well have done the fluid myself and taken it back again, I simply did not have time to mess around going back and forth in this case. The previous RWC I mentioned was when I put all the road gear back on my track bike to get it registered again and cost $110, I would say that is still to much for someone to turn on switches, check tread depth and lever operation and 5mins of paperwork but fair in light of what I payed today!

I just can't possibly see how a completely sealed hydraulic brake system on a brand new bike could take on enough water to degrade the fluid over two years while stored in a cool dry garage and never ridden in the rain, unless there was an obvious floor or leak in the system, which I would have noticed through bad braking!

Cost wise it broke down like this RWC $154 and brake fluid change $55. It is noteworthy that my VT750s is rear drum brake so they only did a single front calliper system for the fluid and I did note on the way home that brake performance was identical to when I rode it in.
    I just would of thought that fluid wear would be directionally proportional to the Km's covered for example the more Km's covered, the more brake applications and therefore more fluid wear. Given this I can understand the manufacturers service schedule
    I mean with 3000km's left until the next service I'm sure brake fluid would be due then and not before.

That little tester looks like a great tool to have!

I can see MV from the bits you have quoted out of the regs how it could be covered, what can't see is how on earth this mechanics costs are justifiable given the condition, age and Km's on my bike. Plus "failing" the operation of my brakes when i rode the bike there and even had to do an emergency stop with no problem on the way!

It just seems like mechanics can charge what ever the hell they like and there isn't anything consumers can do about it. Which is very frustrating when what I have sold the bike for is now $209 less!

That's all in the past now anyway, I just payed and didn't argue because I didn't have any other option but to get it sorted then and there.

More just a warning about the lack lustre service and costs of this place.
  10. That's pretty much it, yes. I don't like but, but that's the way it is. The RWC are guidelines moreso than strict rules, which means tester discretion will always come into it.

On the brake fluid, it is hygroscopic meaning it absorbs water even through the hoses & seals (quicker if you open the M/C), which is why it should be replaced every two years.

I know your brakes worked fine before & after, but if you had to do an emergency brake, who knows?
  11. Unless the water is boiling then I'm pretty confident I know what will happen... Hydraulic pressure will apply the brakes.

When they start to fade after extensive braking, then that should be a clear warning that you'd better look at your brake system.
  12. I sit corrected. That is a most schpadoinkal toy, I think I may have to get one.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Whazitcost? Group buy?

Presumably brake fluid is an insulator... water decreases it's resistance... could you use just a standard Ohm meter?
  14. Group buy and I'm in on that handy little tool
  15. Quite possibly, not sure though.

Jaycar have them for under $20 IIRC, I'd prefer a brand name one though, even if it is only Kincrome :)
  16. Jaycar site says:

= = =
    Brake Fluid Tester
    Digital brake fluid tester suitable for determining brake fluid quality. Quality is tested and indicated on five LEDs showing percentage of water in the brake fluid.

• Includes 1 x AAA battery
    • Dimensions: 150mm long

= = =

Five LED's, from 0% to >4%... it's gotta be a simple and calibrated ohm meter... I've got an unsealed bottle of brake fluid, a sealed bottle and a bike needing a flush... when I get around to it, I might see what the multimeter tells me about each.

Jaycar: $23.70 ea for more than 6. Or $60 for the kincrome one on ebay...

I know it's a lark, but I think I'd dig having one of these in the tool kit for the odd occasion...
  17. Jaycar is around the corner from me. Might have to visit them
  18. 2 years is the recommended brake fluid change interval as it is hydroscopic and absorbs water. Never heard of it being a RWC failure though. Only that the brake function fails
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. I always dread going to get a RWC. I see it as an opportunity to for them to squeeze as much out of you as they can because they know your probably eager to sell/buy. Its a little different, but when my GF bought a car and had to get a RWC (the sellers one had expired) they charger her $80 to clean the headlights - thats right: $80 to clean the glass on the headlights. Day light robbery