Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Vicpol: Safety first

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Jeffco, Jan 23, 2014.

1. From this mornings HS

Traffic police told to target low-level speeding offenders

VICTORIA'S top traffic cop has told police to start fining more motorists for low-level speeding offences.
    Road Policing Command Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill said it was time to make travelling only a couple of kilometres above the speed limit as socially unacceptable as drink driving.
    He said more traffic operations were planned for this year than last year and speed was the main focus.
    "I expect there to be an increase number of low-level speeding infringements issued by our members in the future until the attitude is changed on our roads," Mr Hill told the Herald Sun.
    "What we have said to our members is to focus on speed enforcement. The speed limits that are set at the maximum speed you can travel at, having regard to the road conditions.
    "If we can reduce our mean speeds across the road network we will save lives, and this is all about saving lives.
    "Whether you're 5km/h or 15km/h over, if you speed, you can expect to be stopped by police."
    Mr Hill said the strong stance on low-level speeding was being taken because 15 deaths and 300 serious injuries could be prevented each year if drivers cut their average speed by just 1km/h.
    He warned motorists to stop setting their own "de facto" speed limits, especially when setting cruise control.
    "The evidence is very clear; speed is the absolute killer on our roads," Mr Hill said.
    "The culture has shifted in respect of drink driving, it's now socially unacceptable for people to get behind the wheel of a motor car and drive while affected by alcohol, but the same cannot be said for speeding.
    "Across our community, people don't appreciate that low-level speeds can be just as dangerous as high-level speeding."
    Drivers who exceed speed limit by less than 10km/h are fined $180 and cop one demerit point, while speeding over the limit between 10-15km/h will cost $289 and three demerit points.
    During the past five years, 14 people have died and 352 people suffered serious injury during the Australia Day weekend.
    Police will run the year's first major traffic operation to coincide with the public holiday break, with high focus on Melbourne, Geelong, Baw Baw, Benalla, Ballarat and the Mornington Peninsula.

2. I was going to write a scathing response to this, but to be honest I just can't be bothered. I finally give up on this stupid shit
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I hear you. That 1km/h decrease thing came from MUARC. It's theoretical PR complying with MUARC's philosophy to get more funding dollars.

All this is going to do is get a lot of people utterly pissed off and create a massive negative PR storm.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There are some (flawed and wrong in my opinion) studies which arrive at traffic fatalities being related to the square of the speed (which seems coincidently similar to kinetic energy being proportional to square of the speed, but anyway).

Even if you were to accept that crashes are proportional to the square of the speed, a reduction in fatalities of 15 means about 6% for Victoria. The square root of 1.06 is about 1.03, or 3% change is speed. So even using this suspect square relationship a change in average speed of 1km/h will not reduce fatalities by 15.

So far it seems that in Australia, Queensland (due to the possibility of getting banged up for 15 years) and Victoria (due to the possibility of getting fined for everything) are pretty much a waste of space.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Speed kills?

Of course speed kills, if all vehicles were parked the road toll would be reduced greatly - it wouldn't be zero though - because some moron would still jam their head in a door or choke themselves with an electric window.

And you can guarantee a pedestrian would trip over their shoelace crossing the road and give themselves a fatal head injury (we count those - thanks Scruby you cock)

But there still isn't the focus on what causes road accidents - bad driving - there is still no compulsory driver training. If they want to reduce the road toll, fining people doing 1km over the limit is not going to do it - you just create a population of drivers whose whole being is focused on the speedo - while they don't see the truck pulling out of the side road that the guy next to them doing 10k over the limit sees and avoids because he is actually looking at the road.

Teach people to drive FFS

Should we change our name to Singapore?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Victoria police have become nothing but a revenue raising joke. This kind of blatant lying bullshit has got to stop!

I think that the traffic police should be separated from the GD police. Different name, different uniforms. COMPLETELY separate. The public hatred for police is largely driven by hatred for traffic cops, which unfortunately tars normal GD police with the same brush.

I REALLY hate what's happening to this once great country!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I find it somewhat inconceivable that 1km/h is enough to drop 15 off the road fatality rate. That's out of a national number of 1193 for 2013. We already dropped the road toll by 8% from 2012.

The trend is already to drop by 4.7% per year. (based on last 5)

In finding this I discovered the interesting fact that deaths by age group are pretty much evenly spread from 17-59.
  8. Its pretty simple really and a double edged sword for all involved. Government need revenue and police need funding to keep their jobs and to justify having people on the ground.

I believe the amount of people being pinged for speeding has reduced which translates to lower crime statistics translating to why do we need so many police on the ground? At the same time government revenue has dropped and the self funded traffic cops aren't funding themselves as well as they need to. So what can the police do? Find more ways to turn people into criminals to justify their jobs.

It's really just like business economics rather than a public srevice these days.
  9. He can suck my left nut
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. People, bag the cops all you want but any pig references etc will be deleted.
    These edicts come from the top and not from the average grunt.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I'm a believer in you pay your money and take your chances. But with that out of the way, I see "operations" like this as a terrible way to go. For the vast majority of Joe Public, they will never have any direct interaction with the Police. Out of the remainder, the vast majority of those will only interact with Police on traffic matters. I am sure that a reminder of the applicable speed limit, a "thankyou for listening", and wave on their way would go a lot further to improving the publics perception of the job being done.

I can understand the issue - "low scale" speeding happens with high frequency. But what does that actually mean? Is the speed limit on X road too low? (to pick one of a large number of potential reasons).

What is happening to our country?!
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Velocity doesn't kill, peop deceleration kills :p.

To be balanced: Acceleration kills, too, but far more rarely.
  13. Yes, it's not the fall, it's the stop at the end.
  14. That'll save lives, pigs arse.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Speed without reference is harmless. Speed without hitting something is harmless.

I would argue that running into things is the biggest killer on the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. These mental midgets have worked out that there is more profit in inflicting us with ridiculous speed limits than there is in fixing the road system. A three year old could come up with the same logic.
    Do any of these buffoons actually think anyone believes them anymore ?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Statistics have shown that in 98% of cases, the biggest killer on our roads is death.

Statistics have also shown that in 97% of cases, people will die at some point in their life.
    • Like Like x 1

18. They don't care. Why would any govt care? They make money out of it, and can take the moral high ground "We're saving lives!".
  19. As a society we (Australians) are largely apathetic. We continue to cast our votes at each election, usually selecting the least-objectionalable of the avaiable candidates (based on our individual beliefs).

They, in turn, instruct the relevant Dept's to do the devils work, and the Dept staff (who are often hard working people just wanting to get ahead) do what good public servants do - the bidding of the elected Govt. They are, after all, supposedly apolitical. So they come up with new and interesting ways to please their political masters, in the knowledge that by doing so, they get to keep working there.

Politicians in-govt don't really want to make ground breaking changes - they want to take something measurable through to the end of the electoral cycle. So instead of saying "I propose to spend X billion over Y years starting at one side of the state and working our way across, renovating every single road, intersection etc", they do what they are doing. Nothing of much value.

And when the next election comes around the cycle starts again.

Alternative? Civil war is about all I've got to suggest.
  20. Most statistics are made up on the spot, 78% of all people know that.