Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC VicPol Operations 2014

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Decided to Ride, Mar 24, 2014.

1. To my surprise this morning I spotted about 5 police motorbikes somewhat hidden on the Monash Fwy heading into the city. Not all of them appeared to be paying a huge amount of attention to oncoming traffic. Can't say I saw speed guns pointed either (traffic too slow).

From what I can gather they're simply looking for 'unsafe behaviour'. One or two of them may have seen me (and others) filtering but weren't interested, but none of us were flying through traffic either, so be careful out there.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yep saw the same thing, One police bike at the bottom of the Burke road entrance to the monash the other at the bottom of the Toorak road entrance. they just sat and observed rather than do anything. Problems though meant that traffic was slowing for no real reason because they spotted the bikes. Some riders continued filtering through without issue.
  3. Thanks for the 'heads up'!
  4. Yes I saw 4 Police Bikes this moring between Narre Warren and the Punt Rd exit, first one I popped back into the lane however it was very obvious that I had been splitting, next one I did the same, next two did not bother and they did not seem interested in my splitting, however i was now splitting a lot slower than usual.
  5. There was also three (that I seen) along the northbound eastlink about 8am. Not really sure what they were doing?
  6. " Not really sure what they were doing?"
    Checking for drivers on their phones or not wearing seatbelts it would seem as they weern't interested in filtering.
  7. That just says to me that they weren't specifically tasked to go out and target filtering (if you get my inference).
  8. #8 ajrider, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
    Good on them! The police cop a lot of flack for stuff (in some cases fair too such as feet off pegs, etc which I agree is ridiculous). Credit where credit is due - great to see them looking for some of the more dangerous road offenses out there. Kudo's to those guys!

Just caught the news. Apparently they're looking for tailgaters as well.
  9. IMHO, the most dangerous practice on freeways and responsible for the majority of accidents on freeways.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Indeed. I was talking to a young cop many years ago about tail gating vs speeding. His argument was that speed kills, and how many people have I heard about being killed from tailgating. I was quite surprised that a cop (who was in the TOG at the time) had this attitude and couldn't care about tailgaters.

Looks like times might be a changing. If nothing else, maybe it's the enormous cost to TAC for injuries that tailgaters cause that have finally got the government caring. Who knows, but whatever the case - I'm just glad that they're beginning to take tailgating seriously.
  11. Usually only motorcyclists.
    A smart cop might see the irony in targeting tailgaters and then forcing riders to remain the meat in the sandwich. Given a choice they usually look for the greater threat.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Eastern this morning at around 7.30 2 x Bikes, 2 x HWP cars 1 x Unmarked car

1 of the bikes was in the usual spot in the middle of the road as was the unmarked car. The HWY cars however were sitting at the bottom on on ramps

Cheers Jeremy
  13. Good thing I didn't see them the other day. Even splitting bikes were slowing me down!
  14. Saw cop on a little scooter yesterday..awwww

As I mentioned in the Monash thread, I saw a bad nose-tail on Monday; car pretty much squashed. Don't like to think what I'd look like if it was me on the bike....

I hope I'm getting out of the way quickly enough btw....
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Was headed into the city on the monash yesterday around 5.30pm. One HWP had a car pulled pulled over and another was just zig-zagging in and out behind every car for just a couple of seconds. Must have been doing rego checks or something?
  16. I saw an unmarked police bike (maroon colour) for the first time yesterday, sitting by the side of Glenferrie Road just watching the traffic. It's a 40 zone so I presume was mainly looking for people on phones, which is good to see as I reckon people texting is the biggest danger on the road.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. #17 Masakali, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014

The long arm of the law stretches to even the most remote of locations.

That’s the message Bairnsdale police are trying to spread with the launch of a new operation this Easter. Operation Bogong will get underway this long weekend in Eastern Victoria, in a bid to prevent road trauma.

Local police from Bairnsdale, Orbost, Omeo, Swifts Creek, Wangaratta and Wodonga will saturate the Omeo Highway and Great Alpine Road, cracking down on reckless and risky behaviour. The Omeo Highway is a 157km long stretch of road, running through the Great Dividing Range of Eastern Victoria from Tallangatta to Omeo.

Particularly popular with motorcyclists, the area is a known hot-spot for fatalities and serious injury collisions. Police intelligence reveals there were 62 motorcycle crashes recorded on the Omeo Highway and Great Alpine Road near Wangaratta and East Gippsland between 2011 and 2013.

The last remaining gravel section of the highway was sealed last month, which is expected to cause an increase in motorcycle traffic, particularly on weekends and holiday periods. Acting Inspector Jerry Barlow said speed, inexperience and fatigue often combined to form a deadly set of circumstances.

“It is a long and winding road with many bends and very few straight sections,” A/Insp Barlow said.

“It’s an incredibly tiring ride and is a test of endurance for even the most experienced of riders. It’s also a fairly remote area with limited mobile phone reception and areas with nowhere to refuel. These circumstances make it all the more important for riders to exercise caution, to plan their trip and ride to the speed limit and conditions.”

A/Insp Barlow said speeding around right hand bends was the most common cause of collisions in the area. Police also found that impatience often prompted people to take unnecessary risks, such as overtaking unsafely, or at high speeds. He warned that illegal behaviour would not be tolerated.

“Police will be actively targeting motorcycle and other road user behaviour to ensure everyone reaches their destination safely,” he said.

“The last thing we want to be doing this Easter is knocking on someone’s door to tell them their loved one has been killed on the roads. If we all work together, we can avoid tragedy.”

Victoria Police’s “Road to Zero – it starts with you” campaign was launched last month to encourage the community to take ownership of road trauma and work together to achieve a vision of zero deaths and zero serious injuries on Victorian roads.

Throughout April, May and June police will saturate the state with a number of large-scale operations. Police are inviting community members to lend support to the campaign by posting their ideas and sharing their stories through our facebook and twitter pages using the hashtag #roadtozero

Operation Bogong will run from 17-27 April.

Belle Nolan
    Media Officer
  18. That didn't take long.
  19. *hangs keys up for weekend*
    • Like Like x 1
  20. If noobs just stopped crashing on all the awesome roads we wouldn't have this problem.