Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC VicPol let you commit a crime instead of preventing it

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by grue, Jul 20, 2012.

1. http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/b...by-surprise-20120716-225in.html#ixzz20px4tYU8

So it's OFFICIAL POLICY to let people drive drunk so they can make money from them later, instead of potentially preventing it in the first place?

That's honest to Xenu proof that they care about money more than safety. Nice.

• Like Like x 1
  2. No Grue, it's POLICE POWER, to the exclusion of everything else.

(And let's be clear, it's the VP policy makers rather than the poor chumps who are left to clean up afterwards.)
  3. But they're out there spouting lies about how they're trying to keep drunks off the road, keep people safe, etc. If that were true, they'd test someone on request because that person is apparently trying to do the right thing and not drive in a situation where someone could be at risk.
  4. I'm agreeing with you. Just saying they aren't doing it for the money. It's convictions they want, and more than prevention.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. grue, i really don't think there is a lot of money to be made from catching a drink driver. Court costs, administration costs, judges salery etc. are expensive and I don't think your average drink driving fine is really going to cover this.
  6. It will instill fear in the general population though, respect is for pussies fear is where it's at.
  7. Yeah valid point. Shit like this is why I cannot respect the sons of bitches.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I had experienced this..."we can't breath test you" when I walked into the police station in Rye. Had a massive drink up over a weekend for my 21st and my mate and I thought it would be safer if we go to the cops and see if we can breathlise ourselves. To our surprise, the police officer said he can't do that, because if we blew over the limit, we are also considered to be drunk in public and can be arrested. My mate and I were shocked by his response, he told us to go across to the TAB which had a breathliser we could use.

Obviously doing the right thing can land you behind bars. Stupid I say...if it's voluntary submission to a breathe test, I reckon that should be allowed for the safety of everyone.
  9. It's shit like this that makes me think maybe humans do deserve to be wiped out.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I just thought about this...if you get caught at a booze bus for being over the limit, do you get charged for being drunk in public as well or just DUI? From what I know, if you get done, you only get DUI charges, lose license etc and sent home your own way. If you become disorderly that's another story. However get caught at a police station, you get charged with being drunk in public...

I guess money needs to come out of somewhere to pay for those speed cams and breathalysers.
  11. No, I think they've just told you bullshit. 0.05 is not considered drunk. If it was illegal to be over 0.05 in public then the cops would be booking everyone out on a friday night.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. That's what I thought at the time, but didn't want to argue the point. What is the legal limit for being drunk in public? Or does it usually go hand in hand with, drunk and disorderly?

Sorry for the derailment...
  13. I think drunk is defined by disorderly. I don't think there is a limit they can just blow you and book you for. I don't think they are actually allowed to test you unless you are driving.

Although just to derail a bit further, an American ex girlfriend was once booked at a party in the states when the cops came in and used a breathalyzer to check if people had been under age drinking.
  14. A more recent article shows it is not endorsed by police: http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/07/17/338001_news.html

["There are dangers associated with people using this equipment and thinking they're OK to drive (when) they are not," he said.]

That is the main reason. Some one who has had alcohol, which has not been processed by the body, using the device and thinking they are safe yet their levels are rising.

There was a good article in the Ballarat Courier last year about it, but for some reason the link isn't working. It is not aboutletting people commit an offence, but about not encouraging them to think theywillbe okaywhen they are not. The mantra used, is if you are unsure, don't drive. Or if you are going to drink, make other plans to get home. It is not rocket surgery.

Another issue mentioned is:

"People can use these instruments as a bit of a game 'How much alcohol can I consume; can I develop a high reading on the machine?' that is problematic."
  15. I love this game :D
  16. One of the pubs in Ballarat had a machine you could test yourself on, mounted on a wall, back in the early nineties. I think they got more money from it than a pool table as one test was a hell of a lot quicker than a pool game, for the same price. It was very popular....
  17. About 3 years ago on christmas night, i needed to see a friend, i lived fairly close to the cop shop, which has a HWP unit attached to it, and had two of their HWP cars parked out the front.

Anyway of course it was christmas so i had been drinking, needed to know if i was ok and they simply refused to test me when i asked at the desk, they said they had no breathalysers, which is bullshit as they would have had them in the HWP cars out the front. I was like mate i had a bit to drink hours ago i just want to know so i dont need to ****ing gamble my license and a criminal record.

If the police were serious about drink driving they would have installed free breathalysers in all pubs and clubs, and should offer a police endorsed breathalyser at a reduced cost for sale to citizens so they can ensure they are safe.

If it was about saving lives they would be right behind this, and the thing i suggested, but they arnt, they are behind making huge checkpoints and roadblocks and checking everyone papers and flexing their power and intimidating motorists.

i am referring to NSW police in my post.
  18. If you gargle a shot of OP rum then blow in the machine they won't read right again until they are re-calibrated, or so I have heard.
  19. That rings a bell.
  20. I was there. We used to put bets on who could blow the highest without falling over. Hit the deck and you lost your dough :oops: