Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Aug 13, 2011.

1. According to the Country Alliance Party's media release, http://www.countryalliance.org/media/20110811-andrew-yarraranges.pdf the Yarra ranges council has taken a dad to court because he let his kids ride mini bikes on his own property.

Now this could be just due to noise complaints or something else particularly colloquial and petty, I don't know - I couldn't find anything more about it, BUT the scuttle butt is that this is a veiled attempt to apply a "carbon tax" to get off road riders out of the area. It's unsubstantiated, so keep your ears peeled for information.

I would imagine that the Labor party would have kiniptions if the carbon tax angle came to be true. Can you imagine the field day Libs would have if this rumour was substantiated?!

2. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

Where is there any mention of the Carbon Tax, Rob?

It would have to be a noise issue... Surely the council isn't that potty?

3. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

...like I said, unsubstantiated rumor. If that was my leap of logic, i would have made that clearer.

4. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

Rob after reading your post I checked out the Country Alliance webpage and came across the video of Dr. David Evans giving a speach at an anti carbon tax rally. I watched the video and wanted to learn a bit more so I had a sniff around his webpage and found a document called climate corruption...

Here is a quote from that document...

HOW DID THIS DEVELOP?
    Climate science is totally funded by government. The system rewards the views it wants with grant money, publications in peer reviewed journals, promotions, even fame—the climate scientists with the right views are the rock stars of science, appearing in the press and in demand as speakers. Other scientists see what gets the desired outcomes, and imitate. Soon all the scientists involved have the same opinions—those rewarded by the system—and it’s mutually reinforcing. Mere evidence is ignored or explained away. Voilà—a consensus!

In climate science this process started in the mid to late 1980s. It’s not a conspiracy, just a toxic interaction of science, government funding, and media reporting. Given the system, the result was inevitable. It has also spawned a huge and diverse gravy train of vested financial interests, from renewables manufacturers to lawyers in carbon trading. Many in the political system are heavily invested in it. It is too big to die. It’s the irresistible force of human affairs. But what happens when it collides with the immovable object of scientific evidence and the inevitable eventual cooling? So far the crucial evidence (next) has been ignored and fudged, and sufficient cheating and mis-reporting of global temperatures might even keep this new religion alive for centuries. Or will word of the cheating leak out to a public no longer willing to fund the gravy train?

Substitute "Road Safety" for climate science and the parallels are scary!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

This has nothing to do with enforcing carbon tax.

Carbon tax will apply to any manufactured parts in Australia that are on dirt bikes however petrol is exempt.

Councils do not collect carbon tax and the carbon tax won't even start till next July. Simple noise complaint issue.

6. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

Thanks Bam Bam,

Substitute Big Mining for government and crack pots for scientists it is even scarier.

7. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

Are you kidding me???

8. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

I know of nothing to connect the two issues together Robbie.

...and the carbon tax is a 'Carbon Levy'.

For those playing at home, we're trying to confirm the rumour before broadcasting it.

9. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

Well spotted, well said. =D>

10. I was prolly a little enthusiastic given that the connection was made by someone else & the content came from different sources.

11. Re: [VIC] Yarra ranges council infringes father over kids riding mini bikes on his own property - first salvo in off road carbon tax fee??

From the EPA brochure (on the Yarra Valley Council web site)

Prohibited times
    Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 2008
    Group Prescribed items Prohibited times
    1 A motor vehicle (except a vehicle moving in or out of premises), lawn mower or other grasscutting device and any equipment or appliance
    not falling within Group 2 having an internal combustion engine.
    Monday to Friday: before 7 am and after 8 pm.
    Weekends and public holidays: before 9 am and after 8 pm.

Noise from recreational vehicles, mini-bikes and trail bikes used on residential premises, including large rural living allotments, is also considered residential noise and the unreasonable noise provisions of the EP Act apply (refer to the ‘Residential noise’ section of this publication). Even if the vehicle complies with the levels in the vehicle noise regulations, the noise can still be unreasonable if it is intrusive for too long at neighbouring homes.

I can envisage a circumstance where a kid is riding a mini bike within the sound levels, and it goes on all day close to your boundary, you'd quite likely want to tell him to STFU.

I'd like to know more information about this one.

12. There are some pretty noisy bikes out there but as TonyE says I'd like to see more info on this one as well.

13. Seriously, mentioning 'carbon tax' is now getting to be akin to bring Hitler into a debate. End of rational discussion.

14. Fixed :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. You know what that is?
    It's un-Australian, that's what it is...

;)

16. I hope it amounts to nothing. I guess this is a watch this space kinda thing.

---
    - - - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'

17. I cant find the article, but there was a similar issue on the mornington penisula also. I dont think from memory it made it too the court stage, but restrictions(heavy restrictions) were placed on several "rura" properties over bikes :(

18. This just in. Julia Gillard and her Partner are both gay and their relationship is a sham.....uncomfirmed at the moment.

19. #19 Dougz, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Source?

20. He's a hairdresser and she has short hair - there are no kids...

Just how much sauce do you want?