Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] XVS 650 Custom Exhaust Required

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Wulfgar, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Hi Folks,

I am super curious where I can get a set of Vance and Hines short shots for my Yamaha.

I have been quoted $700 fitted from the Yama dealer in the city but that's horsecrap as i can buy the exhaust online for $350.

Any ideas on who could supply fit and rejet my beast for a better price at all?

I don't know many people here in Melbs as I was from the Gold Coast originally so i figure i would ask my friends here on Netrider instead!

Cheers in advance
  2. I don't know where you could buy them from and installed cheaply but I'd buy it cheap online and just fit it yourself.
    Its pretty simple to bolt on the exhaust. and jetting carbs isn't tricky [if you have a clymer manual lying around], although you could always get it tuned at a shop.

If you haven't already, join the yamaha motorcycle forum [www.yamahamotorcycleforum.com]. theres a heap of people on there who would have the exact same exhaust your after, and they'll be able to tell you what jets you need and how to jet the carbs.

If you interested in learning heaps about your bike then have a go at changing the exhaust and jetting the carbs. first time i did it i learnt a crazy amount of stuff.

Or...get someone else to do it and just enjoy riding! :p

tbh, $700 for the exhaust is ntb, does that include fitting and rejet? if it does, thats a decent quote.
  3. Cheers Ben, I guess i'll check the forums out and see what i can learn. I am not a huge fan of the Yamaha dealership is all but 700 fitted and jetted hassle free would be better than a $200 odd saving with a heap more f!@#ng around. Cheers for the heads up bro!
  4. no worries mate.

Yeh im not a fan of that yamaha dealership in the city either, but, 700 fitted is a good quote and they'll probably cover the workmanship on the job for a while after, which is handy if the jetting isn't 100%.
  5. $700 seems fair, $350 for the pipe, at least 2 hours at $110 an hour. Thats only $130 markup, considering you dont have to wait thats pretty fair. A bricks and mortar store is always going to cost more.
  6. Cheers for the input there folks, ended up pickin up the v&h shortys from City West Yamaha for $400 and a set of larger jets for $50. Fortunately it turns out my mates, mums partner used to own City West and offered to do it for me on the weekend for nothin. Absolute champ. So i set him up with $200 worth of google ads for free haha.

The pipes are stupidly loud so i'm just waiting for an EPA douche to smash me on them. The rejet took him about 40 mins but that's probably due to the fact he had done it a zillion times. I learnt how to do it from him whilst watching though so that was a plus side :D Great input from all of you so thank you kindly!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. As they say - it's not WHAT you know but WHO you know. (y)

Good to hear. I had Yamaha Ringwood put V&H Cruzers on mine last year and they sound awesome. I preferred them to the Shortys as they were a little bit too loud for me. :D