Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Whittlesea-Yea Rd

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by DRMAT, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Not exactly hazardous per se, hazardous to your licence... went up through there today and VicRoads was out changing speed limit signs. Now the limit is 80kmh ALL the way from Whittlesea til past the Kinglake turn off.

NFI why they suddenly want to drop the speed limit 20kmh on a perfectly good road after all this time but it makes those sweepers far less appealling if you do the same speed you used to do up through there now!
  2. Boo for Vicroads. :( I predict that will be a profitable stretch of road for the minions of revenue.
  3. Yup... watch for cops and cameras coming your way along here.

Thanks for moving thread, wasn't sure on section!
  4. Damn! I love going down that hill, and on the SR500 100kph is perfect for it.
  5. thats soo crap.
  6. Which part of the road are you talking about exactly DRMAT. Is it the bit from Whittlesea to Kinglake, or the part from Yea to Kinglake? I thought the part from Kinglake down to Whittlesea has been 80 kmh for some time now. Pretty sure I rode along there 3 weeks ago and it was 80.

Still agree, it's absolute crap to have an 80 speed limit on that road. They're trying to take the fun out of bike riding. Let me tell you, no f...ing hope that'll work!
  7. http://g.co/maps/6937p As i said originally in the title, Whittlesea-Yea Rd. On the Google map from Kinglake West down to Whittlesea. The Whittlesea-Kinglake Rd yes has been 80 for some time. Whittlesea-Yea Rd however has always been 100 every time i've ridden through there and only (used to) drop to 80 as you near Whittlesea.

Trust me it's changed, all brand new signs, "New Limit" signs under them as you come out of Whittlesea and we saw the workers actually putting them up!
  8. Does anyone know if VicRoads gave advanced notice of the pending speed limit chage?
  9. "But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them, had you? I mean, like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a flashlight."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said Arthur, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'."

• Like Like x 1
  10. 617 days later and still clueless? :oops:

11. Not clueless just trying to put the spotlight on procedure and the transparency of procedure. This is where we can make some significant gains. There needs to be some accountability here as they are excluding the community from the process.

Eventually with enough political pressure the law will be changed to better reflect the needs and wants of the community.

Once again the community was let down by the inappropriate lowering of another speed limit punishing the overwhelming majority of law abiding road users that have committed no offence. Ted Baillieu said he would bring stability to Victoria but his government is acting exactly the same as the Labor Party did when it comes to roads.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SRA
    Authorities don't have to have a royal commission on minor issues like speed limits...
    Yes I'm afraid that reducing a speed limit on only 10-15k of road from 100 down to 80 isn't going to be a big issue when they can pull out the following.

Please note that I don't agree with tens of thousands of drivers being made to comply because of 80 people over a long period of 10 years but on the other hand, I can understand why they've done it...

As populations grow and roads fill up, this will continue...
    But we're lucky Aus is a huge place and we can still find other places out there..
  13. This is why there needs to be transparency and the right to object. Only a very small part of the community is being represented here.

It’s not a royal commission as people need to apply for a permit to build a house and there are many houses on one road yet there is only one speed limit. It’s a very easy process.

Questions need to be asked.

81 casualties over 10 years. What type of casualties? Why 10 years? How many people used that road over 10 years? Was there an increase in the amount of residents on that road? Wire rope barriers as a remedy? Etc.

If the council said it will support an interim reduction then who are they supporting? Who instigated the reduction? The bicycle lobby group?

These are some of the things we need to know in advance. How many changes would go ahead if this process was in place?

Safety is being used to bring about changes for other reasons.
  14. Personally I would be interested to know a whole lot more about how these speed limit decisions are made. The fact that a road has crashes may be some of the story but unless we know a whole lot more only a small part. For example how fast were these crashes? If below 80 then the new limit won't help If above 100 the old limit wasn't a factor.

Also there are plenty of speed limit changes which I can't fathom any discenible difffence btween the different zones. For example heading out from Melbourne on Princes Fwy/Hwy the road goes for kilometers at 100kph then with no obivous change in conditions goes to 110kph. I know the change has to occur somewhere but why miles from anywhere that a 100kph limit may make sense?

There must also be a cost in making these changes in signage etc. It would be good to understand a cost benefit of these.

15. [​IMG]

You had your chance and did nothing but pass a comment or two from the sideline.

VicRoads received over 450 submissions and will be making recommendations to the Minister for Roads by the end of the 2011.

What law? Explain yourself.

16. Speed limits are set in accordance with the Traffic Engineering Manual, Volume 1.

A number of factors are considered when determining what speed limit might be appropriate for a particular
    road section:

a) Road and road environment:

road function (i.e. arterial road or non-arterial local road)
    number of lanes and lane width
    presence and width of median
    presence of service roads
    frequency of roadside accesses (i.e. number of driveways per unit length)
    presence of traffic signals

b) Abutting development:

nature of abutting development (i.e. rural, residential, commercial or industrial)
    presence of schools, hospitals or other traffic generators
    setback of abutting developments

c) Nature and level of road user activity:

presence of schools, hospitals or other traffic generators
    setback of abutting developments
    presence of pedestrians and cyclists
    heavy vehicles (i.e. trucks and buses)

d) Crash record

e) Existing operating speeds

f) Traffic volume

g) Speed limits on adjacent road sections

It should be noted that speed limits are not intended to address particular road design or alignment deficiencies. In such
    cases, appropriate remedial action needs to be taken, which may, in some cases require the installation of suitable warning
    and/or advisory speed signs. However, short speed zone adjustments, may be made to cover such deficiencies should they
    occur near the end of a speed zone. When implementing speed limits, consideration must be given to rationalising adjacent
    speed limits to minimise the number of speed limit changes.

17. is it a permanent change or are the gearing up for the Xmas holidays ala the great Ocean Road limit changes that drop down to 60k's during the period?
  18. the op said they had "new speed limit" signs there as well, that would suggest it's permanent.... :(
  19. **** you Vicroads you pack of ****s. The last fatality I can recall on that road (approx 7 months ago) was a suicide... ffs Vicroads stop ruining our fkn lives!!!