Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC - What is the Vic MRA's stance on increasing speed limits?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Sir Ride Alot, Jun 2, 2010.

1. What is the Victorian MRA's stance on increasing speed limits?

2. increase? what's that mean?.. doesn't matter what the stance is. No way the government will listen to anyone who wants to raise speed limits

3. And it would be baring its arse for anyone to exploit, too if it did. Being a motherhood issue both the government and the media would have a field day with the MRA. If it suffers credibility problems now, this would be nothing compared to what would happen if it pushed this issue.

4. I believe the MRAV should have an official policy on this.

I believe the targeted reduction of speed limits on certain roads and localities has often been initiated not out of genuine safety concerns, but because officials simply wanted to 'move on' motorcyclists from their sphere of responsibility. There have even been instances when ranking local VP officials have let slip comment about getting motorcyclists to 'stay away' from the Yarra Ranges, for example. Same with the Great Ocean Road.

You won't get them voicing these words in public, but that is often the agenda.

Moving motorcyclists to ever more remote locations by the use of unrealistically low speed limits is neither safe nor warranted. It's wilfull discrimination, and it ought to be opposed on this principle alone.

The issue needs to tackled on a case-by-case basis, with reference to meaningful statistics. If a road really has a high casualty rate (attributable to speed!) then it is probably an unwinable battle. So choose you battlegrounds carefully.

We simply can't stand by and allow government to go unchallenged on their 'slower is always better' crusade.

5. I think a better focus would be trying to reverse the overtaking over a solid white line rule. This rule has resulted in 100s of kilometers of roads which are safe to overtake in now an illegal move.

And to top if off, they add signs in places that encourage people to break the law!!

This is the perfect example:
    Mountain Hwy between The Basin and Sassafras (Mt Dandenong in Vic) has a solid white line for the whole 7K so legally you can't cross it anywhere. It's also one of the most popular cyclists climbs in Melb so authorities have installed cyclists single file signs on a road where a cyclists and car cannot fit next to each other to the left of the solid white line.
    So basically, they've put these cyclists single file signs so motorists can break the law safer!!!!
    But can be pinned for doing so!
    Talk about a badly thought out rule change.
    As a cyclist too, the last thing I want is a frustrated road user behind and prefer they pass me quickly. Better for him and me and makes total sense, something authorities at time seem to lack.

Authorities don't understand the importance of earning the public's support. Rules changes such as this frustrate road users more and only increases people's belief it's more about revenue raising than road safety.....

I always ask myself, when was the last time a rule was changed or introduced that actually made driving/riding easier.... Changes always seem to restrict, ban, stop, slow, scare, etc everyone......

This in turn increases frustration and is typical of rule changed due to knee jerk reactions.....

Has anyone ever thought that making certain aspects of driving easier and simpler may increase safety?

6. that no crossing a solid a white line does have it advantage, one road i use it has a servo and the exit to the servo dumps you straight into the bus only lane (but then next to that is the solid white line, so upon exiting the servo i drive straight down the bus lane skipping miles of cars for the first broken white line, pasts a few cops cars recently and never had a problem, will continue to do it until i get booked then i will take it to court and make them look like right royal idiots

7. Joe, I agree with what you're saying. But it seems that we're (motorcyclists here in Netrider) are a lone voice in the darkness. If it was an issue then we'd be reading more about it elsewhere. But it appears to be a non-issue.

I'd suggest that they won't be changing either the law or removing the solid lines from these roads. In fact I'd suggest that it was done purposefully, to save having to paint double lines on these road where they don't want overtaking to occur.

8. hey I'd be happy to go to court with you......

And thanks Stuey for another good example how stupid that rule is.... Any more??

9. Are you a member? If so, then why not get active and help them to draft a policy on the subject.

Or are you just expecting them to jump and do something just because you want them to?

It all good and well to talk guys. Its another thing to make things happen.

Where do you sit guys - are you doers or talkers?

10. I wish I was wrong this time, but you're allowed to cross the solid (single) line when entering/exiting the road, such as leaving a servo. The cops have been very lenient with you on the bus lane aspect so far.

But solid lines is a red herring in relation to speed limits. They are both significant issues, but separate. Have a policy for each.

Back to speed: It might be difficult to argue for increased speed limits in general, but it ought to be possible when you link it to belligerent political discrimination against motorcyclists, IMHO. Winnable? possibly not. Worth a try on principle? Oh yes.

11. You are allowed to cross a single unbroken line when entering or exiting the road. I imagine they will use that argument in court, saying that you are entering the road from the servo.

That being said, I agree that it is a stupid law. Or, at least, it is stupid to apply it without re-drawing all the road markings so that it doesn't suddenly become illegal to change lanes where you are actually required to do so.

I've noticed that a lot of the unbroken single lines on City Rd around Southbank Bvd and Power St have had sections scrubbed out to make them broken lines. Same thing when you are getting on to the Western Ring Rd from the Greensborough Bypass. But coming from the end of the Ring Road if you want to turn left onto the Greensborough Bypass you only have a few metres of broken single line to get over into the left two lanes that open up before they are both marked with singe unbroken lines. It is ridiculous.

Likewise, there are left turn lanes in South Melbourne where the marked car parks go all the way to the single unbroken line that marks the left turn only lane at the lights. If you want to turn left you have to cross the unbroken line to get into that lane.

Google maps street view nicely showing this.

So they either need to address the unbroken line rule, or they have to re-mark the road lines.

12. I agree with your well put statement. It strikes me that Govt makes laws that are designed for vehicles he size and shape of cars. They seen to forget that motorcycles - with their much thinner footprint - can fit into tight space and negotiate gaps into which a car could never safely venture.

Because we are thin and more manoeuvrable - we can safely do many things that cars cannot.

I think this topic is the one we need to expand and publicly promote.

13. Here's an idea?

Broken white lines: You are allowed to cross as long as it's safe to do so.
    Solid white lines: Allowed to cross but more caution may be required due to possible increase of hazards
    Double white lines: NOT allowed to cross due to dangerous conditions.

Was there anything wrong with the way it was.

14. better go check that out as understood it to be the for the solid white line on the left hand side of the road edge, not road divider, and for crossing it is only for turning right out of the road....cheers for bring that to my attention,

yep go check vicroads website, only show you allowed to cross it when turning right

15. Yes, it wasn't able to be exploited to bring in more revenue.

16. How about if when you cross an unbroken line it's still legal but if you crash, or cause an incident of any kind, you are automatically deemed to be at fault and committing an offence.

17. It's illegal to cross the Fog Line (left side of road line) in Victoria except to enter or leave the road.

18. Getting back to this original question, currently there is no policy on this issue. That said the policy document is being reviewed and updated and this is a relatively new topic. Up until now VicRoads hasn't used lowered restriction levels as a tool for modifying rider behaviour.

If you want input on this, please contact us with information and examples. Of course showing support by joining is always encouraged.

I can only speak personally on this at this stage where my comment would be that restriction levels are probably reviewed in light of statistical data for given areas. It would only be acceptable to lower a limit if evidence showed high fatality and/or serious injuries at that spot. On the other hand, if this road section is required to have higher limits as a through-way or heavy transport link then the road itself should be improved to reduce the incident rate as per the "blackspot" programme. Suggestions that local politics play into this are valid, local councils will have a say on behalf of their local constituents as per their charter and should be respected.

19. Too sensible.

20. ^^ not too cool tho if a mbike does a quick overtake on a single unbroken line and the vehicle at front (knowing this auto at fault thing) swerves or does something to make the overtaking bike crash on purpose