Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Wed Spanner Night #13: Fork seals are crash repairs

Discussion in 'VIC' at netrider.net.au started by G2teg, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Hey all

This week we will be working on a few bikes. We will be replacing fork seals on Morbo28's NSR150, and doing some crash repairs on Dougz's VTR and/or CBR ...

Not completely sure of the extent of the damage, but from what I have been told, we have to rebuild the forks, replace the handlebars, clutch lever, gear lever, footpegs and front fender. Not a difficult night, but should be interesting.

Anyone wanting to come along, either to lend a hand, or just to watch, please send me a PM for the address (it's in Preston)

2. Might be able to get out this week - PM sent.

3. we might also have a few bits to be done on my new beast,as promised...but ill see what i can get done tomorrow

4. OK

Have done pretty much all the work that needed doing this weekend as I was pretty bored... Sorry.

BUT

The VTR250 is definately in need of a tune-up of sorts. It's running pretty shitty so we'll work in that. It may also need the fork seals done. Maybe.

5. way to fvck up the night, Dougz :p
    i was looking forward to it too.
    wait, i still am! :grin:
    im keen, but i have way of getting anywhere, as i have no legs or arms, i am but a head on a board with wheels. or if you prefer, i have no licence :(
    but if anyone can spare me a lift, im sure i can put some effort into getting to yours.

6. Sorry nibor :oops:

I actually was just putting the finishing touches on this arvo when I remembered you wanted to have a go at the VTR...

My bad, I'll shout you a beer mate. :grin:

We still need to put a new front fender on when that arrives (hopefully before Wed) and it needs a tune as the idle is quite low and is a bit sluggish. I've FA idea how to do that so...

See you Wednesday?

7. Sorry nibor :oops:

I actually was just putting the finishing touches on this arvo when I remembered you wanted to have a go at the VTR...

My bad, I'll shout you a beer mate. :grin:

We still need to put a new front fender on when that arrives (hopefully before Wed) and it needs a tune as the idle is quite low and is a bit sluggish. I've FA idea how to do that so...

See you Wednesday?

8. So it looks like a short night then ... hopefully that PS3 is still hooked up ...

9. if it dont sort my issues out by then i will bring the new beast around and we can all sit around and throw random ideas at it.

otherwise, cod4 time

10. Is it at Dougz place?

Will there be beer???

I think that just about covers the important questions.

11. Yes it is and yes there will be ;)

Can anyone tell me what bits I need to do a tune-up on this vtr? spark plugs etc?

12. been keen to attend one of these for a while but never got around to it
    got a xv535 thats in desperate need of fork seals got them sitting here too

also ive got both front and rear wheel bearings and head stem bearings to fit was told ages ago head stem bearings where dodgy

been meaning to do this all myself but end up working on my 4x4 on the weekend weather has sucked for riding so havnt bothered with the maintenence latly LOL

13. the idle is easy to adjust Dougz, but ive no idea if we are playing with sparkies, sounds like fun tho :grin:

but unless your on/near a trainline, i cant make it unless someone can give me a dink or something :(

14. Well I'm still keen as to change my fork seals so that looks like two lots of seals to do. That'll mean a few jobs to do.

15. PM sent Robin, I can pick you up in the cage from work (city). Maybe someone else can drop you at a station after it ends?

16. #16 Loz, Jun 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    #$%@#^ I've just been told I've got to be at Suade wed night - it won't be all night, I might finish by 9 or so and I'll be in Northcote. I believe I'm the only one on the list who's done this job before, which is a shit. I'll get in touch with Nee, whose Hornet we did last time, but otherwise I can tell ya it's not hard. Watch this first:

[media=youtube]5A0p2OH6FmI[/media]

17. Well its good to see we've got another project of sorts :grin:

I should be able to make it after an appointment, and Nib's, I can give you a lift to the station afterwards :)

18. looks like im starting to get the issues sorted out. i dont know if it would be necessarily that easy watching me plug chop to check and fine tune my main jet size... :)

however i could demonstrate the worlds fastest carbie removel, rejet and reinstall...getting quite a bit of practice at that :D

i might pop in, see how i go

19. Dougz, can you plz PM me your address.
    if ima have to catch train places, i might as well do that n ride the pushy there.
    assuming its not too far coz im a lazy git, n its not raining.
    otherwise ill bemeeting u beforehand Guy :grin:
    and Booga u get sloppy seconds :p
    will let you all know soon enough.

cheers :)

20. Dougz ... parts needed for a tune up vary depending on what is wrong with it. When we get there, we can have a look and at least show/explain what will need doing. Let's just hope most things are fine.
    And nibor ... PM sent.