Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(VIC) - Watch out in the city

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Dougz, May 11, 2009.

1. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,27574,25458502-2862,00.html

Now I'd be tempted to come back to melbourne just to test this one out. As has been discussed before, it's NOT illegal to rde your motorcycle on the footpath provided you are taking the nearest entry/exit point to a road related area see here.

What I can pretty much guarantee, is that none of our beloved police officers will know this rule and a lot of motorcyclists are going to be fined. I'm going to pm TonyE and see if he can have a word to Vicpol before this turns into a shitfight.

2. and $227 for cyclists failing to stop at a red light

This, on the other hand, ought to be uniformly applauded.....
  3. Agreed, but that's not the point and I'm not interested in that. We're potentially about to be fined for doing nothing wrong and most people don't know the real law and will just end up wearing it.
  4. I'll chase this up - it may just be part of the overall fines increase. However there have been concerns expressed about people riding half a block or so along Swanston St.
  5. Maybe they want you to push it into place on the footpath. I don’t think I have ever seen riders riding around on the footpath just for the fun of it.

The biggest problem is the Lemmings just stepping out in front of you; by all means have snipers take them out.

This will end in tears.
  6. Just a couple of weeks ago I was in Rome, and i tell you nothing scares the crap out of you like you and your missus being split at road speeds by a scooter on the footpath!
  7. What about having to push a 200+KG motorcycle up the hill in Collins St just to park it.

Nicely thought out, no?
  8. +1

9. [sarcasm tag]But they are the only ones saving the planet; they should be allowed to do anything they like. [sarcasm tag]
  10. Despite all the bleating about it please remember it is called a footpath and although you are allowed to park on it you cant ride on it and as mentioned they are worried about people riding half the length of a block rather than a simple 20m slow crawl to a parking spot.
  11. Oh I'm sorry, I must have misread that part of the article. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Best start knitting a new cardigan :roll:
  12. you should've come to the old AR's

my dr did more kms on the footpath than the road
  13. :LOL: the memories... :grin:
  14. TonyE mentioned the riding on footpaths,

I just added the bleeding obvious that footpaths are just that, paths for foot traffic :p

15. You've missed the point though - the footpaths ARE for riding your motorcycle on provided you are parking. Best have a read through the links I supplied ;)
  16. and you obviously missed this bit in my post,

Can we call this a draw and get on with the topic at hand and the fact that bicycle users are being targetted like they should be :)
  17. :LOL:

Of Course :)

18. What! Where would the world be if people learned to shake hands and call it a day?

Youtube would have never gotten off the ground.

Shame on you.
  19. This place is going to shit. This breaking out of common sense, reason and good manners has to stop.

Interesting program on Austar/Foxtel last week. 'Road Rage' explored the stress, anxiety and violence between cars, cyclists and pedestrians. We saw car drivers getting upset on the school run with everyone and everything. Cyclists losing the plot over car drivers, running lights and then losing it at the coppers who fined them. Pedestrians having a go at cyclists, car drivers and buses.

The police in London now have MTB's, equipped with lights and sirens and were filmed stopping cyclists sailing through red lights, pedestrian crossings. Most of the cyclists were ok about it, but a significant minority seriously believed they were safer going through red lights. A few came up with the line 'yeah, but how many pedestrians are hurt by it', only for the program to visit a crossing where 4 kids have been seriously hurt in the last couple of months by cyclists running the lights.

The funniest part was a car driver who was taking anger management courses to tone down his responses on the school run. The consensus seemed to be he still needs some work. The saddest was a man who lost his wife who was killed at a crossing by a coach and woman who lost her cyclist daughter when her head was crushed by a turning truck (that had just gone past her, all caught on cctv - driver was found not guilty!).
  20. Sorry Cejay. I'll arc up more next time :oops: