Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC [VIC] Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling Safety. Submissions Due July 22nd 2011. Have

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Did you know that the Victorian government are holding a Parliamentary inquiry into Motorcycling? :? Would I be wrong to suggest that this has been kept on the quiet?

Given that the due date for the final report to Parliament is June 30th next year, there seems to be ample time to get a submission in, but there aren't any obvious submission instructions or submission deadlines at the official pages.

Have a look at the terms of reference copied below, would you like the government to come to their own conclusions about these items??
    Anyway, just putting it out there.

The official road safety committee page is here: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc
    The motorcycle safety inquiry page is here: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc/inquiry/293
    The terms of reference are here: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/rsc/article/1411

2. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

ohhh crap......... this isnt good...... i cant see how this will make our lives easier, and destroy some fun.

3. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

I may be a cynical bastard, but all of those terms look dangerous to my way of life.
    (d) looks interesting, but they'll fuck that up and decide it's all our fault too...

4. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

The only ones that could have a positive effect are a) and b)
    However once they realise the growing trend of motorcyclists, the chance for more revenue just can't be passed up, right? Hence i) and j)

And probably more mandatory training schemes with a government affiliated partner (for riders only, not drivers) at a jacked up price f) and k)

In short, prepare for more costs and greater restrictions for anything more powerful that a 49cc Vespa.

Sucks to live in Vic right now

5. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

They are coming for the rest of us soon enough.

6. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

hmm hopefully they make scooters a separate class, and chenge the lams list around a bit - unlikely, more likely to put it back to 250cc and no two strokes :( (not that i care, im not upgrading from the vtr anytime soon)

though making some new traffic laws could be nice....... especially if it involves filtering..... very highly unlikely

7. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

It would be nice and surprising if the changes that they make actually have a positive impact on riding... but who am I kidding...

8. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

(g) and (i) are a worry.

9. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

I concur. If TAC put in a submission, you can bet it won't be in motorcycling's favour.

10. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

Motorcycle use on roads is to be phased out over time. In several European countries safety 2025 has this in policy.

11. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

<shudders>

12. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

Yep we're all drug runners burning the interstate runs while 0.25, because that's what bikers do.

(Just remember, when the government says it, it won't be in sarcasm.)

13. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

Fark me, you southerners really get the rough end don't you. The RTA in NSW are just plain incompetent but at least they mostly leave us alone...

14. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

h) could lead to legalised filtering? ...oink oink flap flap

15. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

Governments do as little as they can, if they can.
    So one would have to ask who or what body is pushing them to do this. And why.
    Remembering that Melbourne is the financial capital of Australia.

16.  Top
  17.  Top
  18. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

Question ??

From who does this parliamentary committee obtain its information ???

I'm assuming (I stand to be corrected ) that the committee is made up of liberal conservative members of Parliament that don't ride ''

So from which organization are they obtaining there information ?

19. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

most likely from rta and vic roads statistics,

20. Re: [VIC] Did you know there's a Parliamentary Inquiry into Motorcycling underway??

I only have time to quickly glance at that, but the recommendations beginning p.138 aren't so bad overall.

I prefer not to be cynical, so I'll live in hope about the upcoming Inquiry. I guess one major factor affecting its conclusions and their implementation will be our apathy or energy. While things look bad for us in terms of safety-fascism, things have never looked better in terms of: our numbers, the lessening hysteria about us in various quarters - the variety of people taking up riding which means it is becoming more embedded in the mainstream, and the environmental (both perceived or real) and congestion value of bikes.

We don't need to be too fearful or cynical if we're organised and savvy enough. In this age of information and connection, and with such a broad spread of people riding, that's quite achievable.