Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Victoria Police are quitting in droves

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Feb 6, 2012.

1. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/cops-are-quitting-in-droves/story-fn7x8me2-1226263179215

COPS are quitting the service at a rate of four a week amid predictions that keeping officers will get harder.

More than a third of police officers have 10 or fewer years' experience, latest figures obtained by the Herald Sun under Freedom of Information laws show.

Police command predicted the average length of service - which has remained at about 14 years for the past decade - would fall as it continues to recruit 1700 extra police officers and 940 protective services officers.

The Police Association also flagged retention would be harder.

Eighty-two officers resigned within their first 12 months in the six years to June 2010, leaving a bill of several million dollars.

The union said rookies leaving might in part be because some were wowed by TV crime shows, but unable to cope with real policing.

The figures also reveal:
    • MORE than 1250 officers - or just over 10 per cent of the 11,588 officers - had three or fewer years' experience.
    • OFFICERS on the beat for 31 to 40 years had the biggest proportion of those who resigned, followed by cops in the job for four to 10 years.
    • ALMOST half of the officers who quit retired and were aged 50 to 64.
    • Just 28 people have signed up to be part of the second intake of armed guards to work at railway stations.
    • Eighteen PSOs start at inner city stations this month.
    • Some 850 new officers have been recruited as part of Premier Ted Baillieu's $602 million pre-election promise.
    Association secretary Greg Davies said policing was like other industries - there was a constant need to recruit people to replace experienced employees and people now often changed careers.

He said an average of 13 officers a year leaving within their first 12 months was "probably a higher number than you would like but not dramatically so".
    "You would like to think people would like policing and stay in it for 20 or 30 years or more as many people still do," Sen-Sgt Davies said.

Executive director of Victoria Police's people department Bec Munn said the service was proud its attrition rate for sworn officers was about 4 per cent.
    "We've always had to balance growth in numbers with attrition and will continue to do so," Ms Munn said.

Police Minister Peter Ryan said the Government had "every confidence" in the quality of police.

Opposition police spokesman James Merlino said he was concerned standards would not be maintained.

harrisam@heraldsun.com.au

== = = = = = = ==

Interesting.

2. easy to get a job there.
    they take anyone.

3. Funny about that, older members tend to resign or retire after 31-40 years service (assuming joining at 20 that's 50-60 years old FFS).

and how many younguns survive in any job more than a year or two these days.

Yet another NewsLtd beat up.

4. 3 years max for me...I get bored really easily...

5. I think the truth is buried and will remain buried. People join the force to make a difference not to collect tax.

6. You might have a very valid point there, Chef,

7. I'm not seeing any real substance to this. Look at bits like this:

"Police command predicted the average length of service... would fall as it continues to recruit 1700 extra police officers..."

In other words, police command is saying that increasing the number of new officers by 15% will change the average. Oh no, I'm terrified, something must be done.

"MORE than 1250 officers - or just over 10 per cent of the 11,588 officers - had three or fewer years' experience."

That still leaves almost 90% of cops having three or more years' experience. Which is frighteningly low because...?

"He said an average of 13 officers a year leaving within their first 12 months was 'probably a higher number than you would like but not dramatically so'.
    'You would like to think people would like policing and stay in it for 20 or 30 years or more as many people still do,' Sen-Sgt Davies said."

Translated: "We'd love it if everyone who signed up hung around for their entire careers, but some don't. A lower number of quitters would be nice, but the current figure is no biggy"

8. speeding creates jobs

9. When it comes down to it, who wants to be a mindless automaton?

Maybe they go in thinking they are going to be out there making decisions, solving problems... only to find they have become simply tools for implementing a 'system' and mouthing engineered sound bites?

A lot of public sector jobs have become like that.

On the other hand, I know one ex-cop who left because everyone else, at his location not far south of the CBD, was as bent as a corkscrew.

10. Well have seen the 'riders' head north twice so far this week, must be their prac session week..
    this morns group was smaller them mondays so reckon they may have zigged thru the wrong cones lol

11. They can have our Tas officers, our recruits had placements pulled due to lack of funds to pay them after training.

12. I've always wanted to join the police, but I'm under no illusions about being tax-collectors. Obviously I'd be joining to 'make a difference' as someone said above, but it most likely won't happen, at least in this state. At least it could provide some police experience I could use to get a job coppering elsewhere (like my dreamland Canada)

13. My cousin is a copper in south east burbs. He felt he was making a difference for many years. Last time I spoke to him he was thinking about getting out, because of the dickheads, on and off the force.

14. Don't forget that they do do a lot of work outside traffic junk, and not even cops like the highway patrol :LOL:.

15. That's true, it's just hard not to become disillusioned with VicPol when you largely only hear the bad stuff

16. Should be "serve and protect" not "serve and collect".

17. They want to make a difference? What crack are you smoking? They want a freaking wage.
    $75000, maternity leave, all the annual leave and decent super sounds good until reality sets in

18. im in the wrong carreer,
    how long do i have to be a cop before i can apply to be a solo:angel:

19. joined up for this ! :eek:

20. .... but got this instead ](*,)

Attached Files: