Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] vehicle inspections and checks

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mjt57, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Here's a tale a mate just related to me. It concerns a car but it's applicable to motorcycles equally.

He found a suitable vehicle on Carsales. Rang up, arranged to look at it.

He checks it out. The owner's friend who is supposed a mechanic with his own business has serviced it throughout its life.

Friend appears happy with it. He does a "handshake" deal, handing over $200 as a deposit (vehicle price is $35k) dependant on RACV check.

That night the mate looks it up on Vicroads. Discovered that while it has no encumberances, it's registered but it's also registered as being written off.

He calls the guy who's minding it (the mechanic). He asks to confirm that he's serviced it throughout its life to which the guy says "yes". This was based on the mate sighting the service book earlier that day and seeing all the stamps in the appropriate spots.

Then the mate asks, if that's so why has it been declared as a writeoff. The fellow then says that he knows nothing and to talk to the owner, which he does.

The owner then waffles on something about a small fire resulting from a faulty alternator which caused a "little bit of damage". He said that his mechanic mate is aware of all of this.The mate challenges this.

A bit of bluster later and the mate says that the deal is off and that he wants his dough back otherwise he'll front up to the seller's father's shop (where the vehicle was when he inspected it) and make a right **** of himself in front of customers, etc.

So, moral of the story - before handing over any dough, deposit or otherwise, do these sorts of checks first, then look at forking out dough for RACV inspections and payment of deposits.

I think that this is really applicable for bikes, given that they are a higher risk of being crashed at some stage. And it doesn't take much to write one off these days, either.
  2. a friend of mine learnt the hard way. so my moto is always buy from a dealer.
  3. And they're never dodgy right? :roll:
  4. Good point but in this day and age its not what you know it who you know and im lucky enough to have worked as a finance manager for quite a few dealerships where we have become good friends and i wont be sold a lemon (intentionally).

but if you dont know anyone in the vehicle game then its a risk which i think you have better odds betting on a dealership than private sale.

The difference between dealer and private is with a dealer your at least covered by the LMCT fund and also there is a 3 day cooling off period as well as in the op's case ($35K car) there would have been stat warranty and by law they must disclose if it is a repairable write off.
  5. I agree but I originally quoted you because its an overly simplistic "I'm safe because it’s a dealer" view.
    I take your point though. :)
  6. Firstly, it wasn't me Cheky, it was a workmate who just told me the story.

Secondly, even buying from a dealer doesn't guarantee this. Some chap could do the same to the dealer on a trade in. It would depend on the dealer's vigilance for starters. And most people woud go into a dealer trusting that he does the right thing by the customers when putting his vehicles out onto the lot.

In any case, it's general advice. Always do your research before you commit in any way, shape or form.

Thing is, with these two guys, they were deliberately setting out to flog a rebuilt car. They didn't reveal the car's true history. And they will no doubt try it on again.

The mate will be keeping an eye on the sales sites for it.

Sad thing is that there will be someone who will think that it's a good deal and will go with it. Then, after the sale they'll either find out that it's a PoS, or when they go to sell it, whenever that may be, that a future prospective buyer will discover its history. And the guy will be gutted.

Supposedly what these people have done is not illegal. Morally and ethically bankrupt it may be, but he's sought advice and that it's fine. apparently.

The car was in good shape, so who knows, it may be a good buy. But at least let the buyers know, let them take the risk if they feel. But of course, the price of the vehicle will be hugely affected.
  7. Its a story told many times. Fixing up a wreck and selling it is by no means illegal, hence they are sold as repairable write-offs but require a VIV to be registered. I nearly bought a Cbr last year on ebay which was dirt cheap only to checkup on vicroads to see it was a repaired write-off.

Selling then but not telling the buyer is very dishonest, and as a I'm a firm believer in Karma....... Those people will get theirs one day.

I think there has been a few posts about this, but you can get caught out with the free check if the vehicle has changed states as not all of the road traffic offices systems are connected. I think if you pay for the complete check it searches Australia wide but I could be wrong.
  8. AJ, I'm not familiar with the technicalities, hence my surprise and mild horror to what these guys tried to pull, particularly with the recording of all servicing of the vehicle by the owner's mechanic mate who was minding it. And when the mate rang him to ask about the write off business the guy suddenly didn't know jack about the vehicle's history.
  9. I'm involved with VicRoads as a sub-contractor so I get to biatch about their ignorance, apathy, pettiness and stupidity at least 17 times per day.

This is the best thing they have ever offered the public. I grudgingly tip my hat.
  10. Always a good idea to do a background check on a vehicle's history before purchasing. Your mate done well to do this.
    Having said that, a repairable write-off does not necessarily mean the vehicle is a 'dud'.
    The mechanic may well have been servicing the car all its life. Car may have been written-off, bought back & repaired by the owner.
    Car would have had to be in RWC condition & passed a VIV before re-reg.
    The owner's dishonesty in not telling you is probably the BEST reason for not going ahead with the sale. If he's hiding that, then he's probably hiding the fact that something is still just not quite right with the vehicle.

... my 2 bob's worth. :)
  11. What's a "VIV"?
  12. It's actually deceptive advertising and a breach of sections 9 and 12 of the Fair Trading Act, Vic.
    I'd report them to Consumer Affairs and see what happened.
    (Not saying they will follow up).