Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] VACC calls for 6 month 'rego' option

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Apr 14, 2010.

1. in news just in...

VACC calls for a six month vehicle ‘rego’ payment option in Victoria

VACC, the peak Automotive Industry body in Victoria, is calling for a review of the State’s vehicle registration payment system.

Currently, owners of cars, 4WD's, vans, trucks, motorcycles, prime movers and buses in Victoria have to pay one lump sum for their registration, also known as the ‘rego’, to cover a twelve month period.

Ahead of next month’s State Budget, VACC is calling on the Victorian Government to enable VicRoads, who collect the fees, to introduce a six month payment option.

“An up-front, lump sum puts pressure on the household budget. For example, the total fee payable for renewing a light motor vehicle registration in Victoria is typically $516.60, $567.20 or $612.30, depending on the postcode. They are big hits to have to pay in one go,” VACC Executive Director, David Purchase, said.

“We recommend that the Government considers an alternative and user-friendly method of payment. We propose a six month payment option for vehicle owners which we believe will help spread the financial burden.

“Australians already have various options to pay for other essential goods and services. Mortgages, rates, utilities, motor finance and insurance are all available at monthly, quarterly or half-yearly installments.

“It is not as if the infrastructure and technology are not available, after all, concession card holders in Victoria are entitled to a half yearly payment option.

“A flexible payment scheme would also be in line with other States. ACT and South Australia even offer payments in three month chunks.* Why should Victorians miss out?

“Variable payment options will also have a benefit for the local economy. Licensed Motor Car Traders (LMCTs), registering cars, motorcycles, or commercial vehicles on behalf of consumers, or for stock, could choose to pay a six month fee. Currently, payment of a twelve month fee represents a cost unlikely to be recovered as the vehicle is not held for that length of time. Options for a shorter term of registration and payment would improve cash flow and be a more equitable outcome.

“VACC considers a six month vehicle registration payment option to be viable and workable. We call on the Victorian Government to include this in the State Budget, on May 4,” Mr Purchase said.

Registration payment option
    VIC 12 months (only concession card holders have a 6 month option)
    NSW 6 or 12 months depending on payment method
    QLD 6 or 12 months depending on engine size
    ACT 3, 6 or 12 months
    TAS 6 or 12 months for light vehicles; 3, 6 or 12 months for heavy vehicles
    WA 6 or 12 months
    SA 3, 6, 9 or 12 months
    NT 6 or 12 months
  2. Now that regos are over half a grand...........
    Couldn't agree more!!!!!!
  3. What's wrong with budgeting for these expenses? $600 pa is around $11.50 a week. Surely it can't be too hard to put that (plus insurance away each pay?)
  4. Sometimes when car rego and comp insurance falls through when there is another big ticket item due as well and I like being able to pay for only 6 months of car insurance at once.

Two years ago if fell near our wedding. This year we are heading overseas and the extra cash will come in handy. So yeah, why not.

I work with people on Centrelink payments / pensions and one thing that really helps them pay bills is a system called "Centrepay". Eg most utilities companies have this option, that the individual nominates a certain amount of money gets taken out of their benefits and paid into a utilities account to cover electricity and gas. The money comes out before their payment hits the individual's account. Similarly the Sheriff's dept allows people to do the same for old parking fines etc. They are happy coz they know a payment plan is in place. The client is happy coz the stress is off and the bill is being (slowly) taken care of.

It's one of the first things to do to help people who are struggling financially IMO. I think that would be a great help to concession holders do this with rego. Low income earners have great difficulty paying rego and if they can't do it and make ends meet the options are to let the car go unregistered and lose their job, or get done for driving unreg, or go without another necessity in order to keep it reg'd.
  5. i already do this as a student very handy indeed
  6. It's a good idea as long as it's not used to increase the cost of rego. Smaller more frequent payments tend make increases look smaller.
  7. If you have a bike AND a car, and maybe another family vehicle too, the 6 month rego option can be a good way to start staggering them throughout the year so they don't all hit at once.

mjt57 - yeah, one bit of rego isn't too bad... but arranging an inspection, CTP aaaaaand coming up with rego for 2 or more vehicle in the same month can be a bit of a bastard.
  8. As someone with multiple vehicles in the garage, what I'd like to see is a 6 month 1/2 price rego option.

Rego a bike just for the 6 warmer months without needing to pay for the 6 months during which it gets little use.
  9. My rego notice always arrived just before Christmas for the van, and just after New Years for the bike. Perfectly coinciding with the time of year that I have very little money.

I recently used my concession card to go with the 6 month option, just to move the rego mid year. When the reminder comes in a month or two, then I'll continue to pay yearly again.

10. I had it in my mind that there is one state that already does this. SA?

Not that I could go 6 months without a ride. If I go away for a week and can't ride, I start getting withdrawal cravings.
  11. That is exactly what they will do. That's how it is in SA anyway
  12. Rego for my 650 Hyo in NSW is $107 per annum. We also have half-yearly and quarterly options, with appropriate reductions in cost.

That said, our compulsory CTP greenslip (third party personal insurance) is a separate cost which must be paid before you can renew your rego. My CTP this year was $488. So, a total of $695.
  13. In VIC, when we talk of registration, most of us refer to the reg and TAC which is similar to your green slip. All up I think its $612 in most of the metro area but varies a little depending on your postcode.