Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Unregistered Vehicle Permits

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by jd, Oct 16, 2007.

  1. Had some experience with one of these with a car a but that was a long time ago and was wondering if they're available for bikes as well, and if so what's the approx cost on getting one? (in case it's going to be cheaper to just rent a trailer)
    Also anyone know if they can be used to (legally) transfer a bike, ie can you get a permit before actually buying the bike then use that to ride home unregistered?
    Oh and while I'm at it anyone know what the cost of a bike roadworthy is at the moment?

  2. They are available for bikes.
    $70 for 28 days (depends how long you need it for)
    I would get the permit for however long you need to be able to transport the bike. Your only supposed to ride it to and from mechanic and vicroads but you could get away with riding it home.
    Roadworthy about 65
  3. Thanks for the info :grin: .
  4. You can get one for one day too. Around $38 AFAIK.
  5. i got an unreg permit from vicroads it cost me about $60-$70 1 or 2 weeks, i've forgotten now, but not expensive.

    did one thousand k and only pulled over once, but I already had a backup plan "ahh..yeah well I just, you know.. coming back from the mechanics"
  6. $78 for a month in Vic.
  7. You found a new bike JD?
  8. Think I just might have :grin:. Haven't bought it yet and it's going to take a little bit of work to get on the road if I do, but I may be posting up something in the next week or so (not going to say what it is until it's mine :p).

    Reckon I might just go with a trailer to bring it home rather than trust riding an unknown bike, but knowing permits are available makes the whole rwc/rego thing a lot easier.
  9. You can get a temporary rego to transfer the vehicle interstate etc. I did that years ago when I bought an ex-cop bike for my brother-in-law and rode it to Adelaide. Can't remember the cost but it was pretty straightforward to organise. I went to VicRoads and told them what I wanted to do and they sorted it - always better face to face than over the phone)