Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Trikes - Bike or Car Licence

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by FZR600, May 21, 2007.

  1. Hi all,

    Does anyone know if you require a car or a bike licence to ride a trike in Victoria?


    Top penny stocks
  2. depends on what class the vehicle is registered as.

    Under 395 kg in weight - can be registered as a Motorcycle - hence Motorcycle licence required.

    Over 395 kg in weight - registered as a car - hence car licence required.

    Quite hard to make a decent trike that meets the ADR's under 395 kg's.

    My Brother in law has one for sale, Diahatsu charade powered, automatic gearbox, designed for disabled people, only just gets under 395kg in weight.
    We also did a Charade turbo powered one - that was a blast!.
  3. bike license it seems:

    From: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...equirements/PrimaryProducerSVRegistration.htm

    (I know it is primary producers, but the trike discussion is generalised beyond that).
  4. :shock: :shock:
    I know 2 guys riding trikes on car licence, i'm guessing there under the same (wrong??) impresion as me.?

    Or is it one of those things that has contradicting laws/rules??
  5. Victoria used to recognise trikes as cars if they were built on a car chassis (ie VW Beetle). However at some point the law was changed and now basically anything with less than four wheels is classed as a motorcycle and therefore needs a bike licence. I think trikes already registered as cars were allowed to remain as cars - but anything built/registered now will be classed as a bike.
  6. we have a member in our club who has just bought a trike and he was told by the manufacture who also took care of the registration process that if he fitted a seat belt he could ride with out a helmet.... that sounds like a car to me
  7. A motorcycle licence is required......see LINK :cool: