Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD VIC to QLD rego swap out

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by yardman, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Excuse the stupidity, I've never done this before, the QLD Transport website is unhelpful, google hasn't been my friend and I'm utterly confused… Plus, I really hope I've posted in the correct forum section.

Recently I moved from VIC to QLD, I have a QLD licence now and have just collected my car, which has about 5 months of VIC rego remaining and is registered to me but at my old VIC address, which no longer matches my new QLD licence.

I know I need to get QLD rego as we’ll be here permanently but is it a simple case of paying for a new rego, or am I going to get hit for Stamp Duty, safety certs and more?

2. TMR is a pain, but this will help (from following link):

http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/register/vehicle/index.html

Driving your vehicle to be registered
    If your vehicle is currently registered in another state or territory and the number plate/s are attached, you have 14 days to register your vehicle in Queensland and may be fined if you don’t. This will allow you time to get a safety certificate and then register your vehicle at a transport and motoring customer service centre. If you live in a rural area you can visit a QGAP office, Magistrates Court or local police station that provides vehicle registration services—please call to confirm before visiting.

If your vehicle is unregistered and you need to drive on the road to register your vehicle, you cannot legally drive unless you are carrying a CTP insurance certificate and a completed vehicle registration application (F3518) (PDF, 422K8). This will only allow you to drive your vehicle to get a safety certificateand then you must go straight to a transport and motoring customer service centre. If you live in a rural area you can visit a QGAP office, Magistrates Courtor local police station that provides vehicle registration services—please call to confirm before visiting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Cool, many thanks. I clicked around those pages yesterday but just ended up circling the site through re-directing links.

So, it looks like I'll need a safety cert but should be exempt from duty at least.