Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] The idea that TAC didn't like

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by jdkarmch, Dec 20, 2010.

1. #1 jdkarmch, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    A couple of years ago I pitched an idea to the TAC about running a competition involving riders producing their rider safety videos. They hated the idea. Their excuse, "Oh we don't like the idea of riders filming themselves..". What a load of bull I thought at the time... Recently I purchased a GpPro camera helmet mount. So I went out the other day and made this clip - a subject which I know is very important and which every rider needs to underhand if they want to make it to old age.

Now this amateurish attempt by me isn't great quality. What I would be interested in, is knowing if riders relate to it. If so, there are other subjects that I have in mind. Perhaps, someone may care to join in?

[URL="]The clip I made can be seen here.[/URL]

I would appreciate some feedback. I know it could be much better - but remember that I only had one helmet cam and no assistants and it was unfunded.......

Mr Mod - I know this may look like it should be somewhere else - I would like to see it discussed in the context of TAC and Vic Roads and how or if we should be encouraging them to do similar...

2. When you're demonstrating pushing on the 'bars the direction of your movement isn't particularly easy to pick up visually. I'm wondering if this could be a result of your handlebars curling back and whether the action would be more apparent with straight bars or is it just that there isn't enough bar movement to make it glaringly obvious and perhaps needs a creative sort to add in some pretty arrows.

3. I like it! :D

When I did my learner course they had a video there which showed what the front wheel did also, but I don't think they explained that you had to push at an angle.

EDIT: I alos agree with j3st3r. It wasn't very obvious that you were pushing the handlebars but after a few times it became obvious - to me anyway.

4. Doesn't matter what angle you are when you push on the bars.
    On your harley it would be 45 degrees or whatever on a sprt bike it would be different.

5. This, I reckon. Once you're above walking pace, I doubt if the forks would ever turn more than a degree or two under normal riding conditions. Speedway riders, motard pilots and lunatics excepted of course. [/tautology]

6. Got more to do with the fact that the camera lens is fish eye. That's why I talk as i do it...

I never said it was perfect and its all I had to work with.

Yeah - it would be nice to add arrows if I had the backup of a professional editing suite.

7. Yes, I knew someone would make the Harley jibe. Sort of expected that from you Smee.

Maybe a sports bike would be a little different - but not by that much me thinks.

But, I'm sure you know better....

8. Why don't you try it and see? Come back and tell us the results of your observation.

9. Displaying counter steering was done much better in Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD...

1] Used a sports bike. Obviously a bike with flat bars looking from above shows movement better than the apehanger bars @ 45 degress
    2] KC had a pointer attached to the steering head and a scale on the tank which clearly displayed the steering input / deflection..

just my 2 cents

10. you can be an arrogant obnoxious prick at times John.
    It was REAL constructive criticism not a go at your fukin hardley.
    Depending on the bike and the ergonomics you attack the bars at different angles.
    I can countersteer by "pulling" on the right bars to make it go left and vice versa, guess what? NO 45 degree pushing angle employed at all.
    If you ask for constructive criticism how about you shut up and listen rather than take everything as an insult?

11. Sorry Smee - but, that's not the way it came across. Would have been best to leave any reference to bike type out of the argument. Or just shut up and let others contribute - I was expecting flak in any event......

But, you do bite - and that is amusing.....:angel:

12. Haven't seen that one. All I had to play with was my H-D, and no they aren't ape hanger bars, they're actually much flatter than they look from the angle used by my helmet cam.

Actually, I don't even think there is much movement in the bars in any case. Can someone else try it on theirs and come back and tell us if there is any difference on another type of bike (do it safely BTW).

13. Bit difficult right now as my bike and I are separated by about 600km and will remain so until Thursday.

However, from past experience, my handlebars move just about enough to be perceptible to the rider but not so much that I'd expect it to be picked up on film.

14. Yes, that's been my observation too. Its really all about the way it feels rather than what can actually be seen. Demonstrating it visually requires some exaggeration with verbal description.

15. John,
    Great effort overall with your vid and your desire to film/educate other riders should be applauded. Motorcycling is about safety, after all.
    I'd have to agree with the comments above regarding the countersteer manoeuvre - it was difficult to portray from these angle and learner riders, who are more likely to seek/learn from these videos would perhaps benefit from closer, more detailed action during each of your demonstrated manoeuvres.
    Suggestion :
    Perhaps it would be better to record a zoomed in, slower motion segment in a room ? This would present a 'classroom' approach, your speech/lack of wind noise/no passing scenery would present your case much more effectively, in terms of a learning environment. You could demonstrate what you did on the bike in the 'classroom', then edit/add (in sequence) these topics/demonstrations to real-time riding.
    As an instructor of theory of considerable experience, this was one way of having the near-undivided attention of my 'students', thus presenting a topic much more effectively & efficiently - all about reducing the distractions when it's time for theory (for maximum concentration) and then applying that learnt from the classroom to the real world.
    My 2 cents worth, but well done on a great concept (y)

16. I'll try to chop 15 or so seconds of the dvd and post it or at the very least a still from it, so you can see

17. John, whilst I can see what you are trying to do, I can't see how non motorcyclists will see this video as a "rider safety videos." I think that this sort of video should be labeled an instructional video and shown at places like HART, Stay upright etc when people are doing courses.

Gov't depts won't endorse anything like what you have suggested as even though you appear to have motorcyclists interests and safety at heart, they will assume that what you have shown other n00bs will try and emulate it and at quite possibly at a higher speed and cause a serious injury or just drop their bikes at low speed.

For a safety video I think you would have to run down their idea of Keys Please and have the rider ride down a street and point out all the hazards.

18. [Mandatory HD Comment]
    Everyone knows that Harleys can't go round corners anyway :cheeky:
    [/Mandatory HD Comment]

Now that that's out of the way... :)

I don't think it would be all that obvious no matter what bars you had. Possibly some animation might help. I do agree with the concept of actually producing some positive adverts though.

I've said for years that positive "how to" advertising was important for all road users. Everything from how to travel through a roundabout to how to enter a freeway needs to be reinforced. How to corner and brake is particularly important -for riders.

It just occurred to me that insurance companies could be interested in a series of ads. It could save them a lot of money long term in preventing even minor crashes. Why not send the idea to the various insurance companies and see if they would sponsor this style of advert?

19. I didn't make it for non-motorcyclists. It is aimed at riders.

I read an article on which I have based the content of the video that was published in a HOG Mag a few years ago. I have also based it on another Youtube clip done by a guy somewhere in Asia some years ago.

The Gopro camera makes it easy to do the filming "from the rider's view" - hence the title of the clip Rider's View.

I'm not expecting TAC to beat a path to my door. I'll be surprised if I hear from them...

But, I do agree with what you are saying. Ther are other topics I would like to cover, and should I find time there will be more iterations.

20. I think you would get this kind of thing onto the spokes.com.au website quite easily. They seem quite happy for motorcyclists to communicate 'good' messages between each other.
    Getting it onto TV or other mass media would be a huge ask. They seem to remain stuck on the idea that they must not appear to encourage riding in any way. I think that's why their campaigns are always negative.

The race schools do teach pushing the bar in a more horizontal direction (on sports bikes). Given this variability, that may be an aspect better left for another medium.