Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Stayupright Intermediate skills course 13/06/2010

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by robsalvv, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Just thought I'd post up that I'm going to be doing the Stay upright intermediate skills course in Hoppers Crossing this Sunday... I haven't done one in a while so I figured it wouldn't hurt. I know two other NR's that are doing the course... anyone else doing it?

I'll give a run down on the course afterwards. Should be fun.
  2. tell someone who cares Robby boy lol :D and dont forget, take the motorcycle, not the pedal version :)

this course is good for cheaper insurance also
  3. I did it a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I think it's really good if you're a learner especially the emergency braking and cornering at road speeds.

Although we did have one guy bin it as the end of the day whilst going around the track and busting his ankle - wear ya boots.
  4. I did this course at the start of the year and it was great - even better that work paid for it! The instructors were very helpful and I learnt alot from riding the course with the instructor following behind me. He gave me some great feedback on my riding style etc. Highly recommended!
  5. In theory my work used to pay for this sort of thing too, although whenever I raised it, they always changed the topic.

Where do you work.
  6. I did a Stay Upright course in April. Loved the track work! It was great to work on those old problem areas like figure 8's and tight turns as well, I think its money well spent.

7. I work for local government in Camberwell - City of Boroondara to be more exact. They will be doing an advanced course in the next couple of months which will be sweet too.
  8. What a FANTASTIC day it was today!!! :woot:

Great course, great instructors, great company, learnt heaps ... we even had a couple of people make a trek over from SA to join in the fun ... but there's no way I'd have been able to keep up with this level if it hadn't been for all the time & effort by Hawklord & GreyBM (everything you've helped me with was put into practice today) & of course all the wonderful info here - especially Rob's cornering thread. Thanks guys!!!

Will leave it for Rob to give a full run-down, am still digesting everything we covered. :D
  9. Glad you enjoyed it.

Well done on picking the first dry day in a week.....

See you soon.
  10. If you're a learner looking towards advancing your skills, or a competent noob wanting to consolidate them, or a returning rider... then you'll get a lot out of StayUpright's intermediate course held at their Hoppers Crossing range.

This course is pitched at about the same level as HART's intermediate course, covering much of the same material, but the niche difference is that StayUpright has access to a 1km long road track that you get to burl around and around and around whilst HART put a lot more focus on gymkhana and slow speed skills.

The course was run by Jeff and Dave - two very approachable and knowledgeable instructors who had the class cooking and getting along. We kicked off with some class room time, then off to the range for posture and slow speed skills. Clutch and rear brake control were the order of the day. It was followed up by countersteering drills - but the drills included a lap of the track... Sweet! :grin: We then went back to the class room for some road craft and cornering theory.

After lunch we did on track emergency braking drills (three ebrakes per lap, two of them supervised) and yours truly experienced a two metre front wheel skid exploring the limits of front traction and just what "set up and squeeze" actually meant. :grin: yikes. Personally, this is the part of the course I found the most valuable - and frankly, I don't need a course to keep this skill up to scratch, but even though I do drills occasionally on my own time, it's never enough and it's never with another person observing and giving me some observations. This is definitely a skill you want to have honed. By the way, they recommend, roll off, squeeze brakes, clutch, gear down, squeeze more. The amount of rear brake they recommend is equivalent to stepping forward on one foot and pressing your big toe into the ground... in other words, 2/5 of FA.

(Aside #1: Have you ever done an ebrake from 100km/h? Why not. Do you ride at 100km/h? As Nightowl put it, after the drills, she's officially allowed to ride at 60km/h since she knows how to stop from that speed. heheh bless her cotton sox.

Aside #2: Did you know if you double the speed you quadruple the stopping distance? Worth thinking about.)

Anyway, the rest of the day was devoted to cornering and lines. We started by getting off the bikes and walking through a corner, dissecting the vision aspects and the best line through. Then after a few on bike demos from one of the instructors while we watched side of track, it was time to tackle the track ourselves. We split into two groups then cut laps in our groups.

We each had two laps immediately behind the instructor watching his lines and body position, then we each had two laps tailed by an instructor with a debrief. This was definitely the fun part of the arvo and had a real "real world" flavour seeing as the two groups were riding in opposing directions on the track... the white line down the middle was veerrrryyyy important. lol

I would say though, if cornering is your sole concern, then I'd target a different/more advanced course - stay uprights advanced is excellent. If overall bike confidence is your desire, then this course is a ripper. :thumbs:
  11. Similar report back in 2009:

And another more detailed one here from 2008

12. Thanks for the writup and quotes Rob. (y)

Fun Ha!
  13. Great write up, thanks Rob! :grin:

In the learners (permit course) we did what I think's maybe better described as bringing the bike to a quick stop from about 20-25 kph rather than e/brake (didn't even matter if stalled it, so long as stayed upright!) ... and we'd done some work in Sat morning practice, but this was quite an experience feeling the rear of the cruiser arc up & then gently thump down. :D

Another Tip (shared at the course, also probably here on the forums somewhere, and definitely if you get mentoring):

-- Use your headlight like a waving hand, especially at night.
    Changing position on the road does this, movement attracts attention, it can help differentiate you from the headlights of the car/truck behind you or other sorts of lights for drivers stopped at intersections waiting to enter.

I really enjoyed:

- cones, cones & more cones .... slow speed drill (walking pace) through cone course including cornering; quick counter-steering through cone set up for obstacle avoidance (pretend bus) and counter-steering through line of cones.

I'm addicted to cones - luv 'em (this addiction is all Hawklord's & GreyBM's fault [-(). Fun!!! None of this is really done in Learners permit course, just weaving through a basic cone layout, probably is in the P's/Full restricted, I haven't been riding long enough to do P's/Full yet - but we do do this sort of work at Sat prac.

You can also pick up a set of 6 squishy little cones for under $10 (doesn't matter if you ride over the top of them) from places like Rebel Sport to practice this with in local carpark.

- taking a line through corner, on a crest, with gravel spilling onto road, cornering lines, body position & leaning through more sweeping corners including obstacle avoidance & averting risks of target fixation (gravel in middle of lane, rag on road, oncoming traffic, ie. your group coming towards us) 8-[

Hahah! Boards down twice, totally unintentional, once round that cresty corner (saw Jeff's finger beckoning me off road, uh oh, I'm in trouble - no, 'tis all good) and then had to balance up other side so once around the make-believe bus (this time Dave jumped as he was scrambling up the hill). Whoops!!! Didn't mean to do that, sorry, and didn't realise that noise was so LOUD!!! (certainly carried across that course, didn't seem quite as loud when accidentally did it in carpark sessions).

One thing I did really notice was the buffering once I'd retreated to tail end of group for more laps. Not everyone did it!!!

This is something that's so important and is covered in many areas here on Netrider - was also covered in the course, along with lane position ... but seeing someone out wide in right wheel track near the centerline in the face of oncoming traffic, well ... the heart did skip a beat. 8-[ Fortunately you guys were buffering.

StayUpright does run another course like this for Learner level - as you said, this really is geared toward intermediate. I only got bumped up into it (they'd cancelled/postponed the Learners) because I'd had the opportunity to ride with one of their other instructors earlier who thought I'd be okay, and that was only after time spent in Sat session & mentoring with Doug & GreyBM ... otherwise, would have been a spectator! :D

Definitely worth doing ... I'll be doing it again. Is one thing to know the theory, quite another to put it into practice, and a controlled environment is a great place to do this.

Was great to see you there too, Rob, and wonderful to have your reassurance (thanks!). Was also good to be able to chat with you about some of the specific technicalities raised (prompted by some of the other participants) in more simple terms! :shock: :grin: