Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(Vic) Something Different - Canoe Polo.

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Dave_the_waterlogged, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Hi Folks,

For those looking for something a little different: Canoe Polo.

Imagine basketball, played in kayaks, with foam bumpers so you can crash into each other. Sounds complicated, and a little odd, but actually its very simple (ok, I'll admit its odd). As long as you can swim, and don't take things too seriously, you can can play polo.

The great thing is that its also low impact, so if the knees etc are not as good as they used to be this could well be the sport for you - we folks playing from age 12 to age 65.

This coming wednesday night (13th June) we are running a come and try night at our normal venue for the Melbourne based comp - the Richmond pool. All are welcome, but we do need you to RSVP for logistics purposes.

The details:
    • Who - This is open to any new or novice players, we only expect that you are able to swim one length of the pool (we'll take your word for it), and have a good laugh with your fellow beginners. That’s it – no kayaking experience required at all.
    • What - Canoe Polo Come and try - we take you through the basics, from getting in and out of a kayak, the basic skills and rules - and you get to play a couple of games as well with your fellow beginners.
    • Where: Richmond Recreation Centre Gleadell Street.
    • When: 8pm Wedneday 13th of June, 2012. Please be prompt as there is a planned program, and we have some paperwork we need to complete first.
    • How Much: $10.
    • What to bring: shorts and a rashie or thermal, towel.
    • RSVP: Necesssary I'm afraid - I need to ensure we have enough gear for everyone, as well as having an idea of numbers means I can better plan the night.

To RSVP:
    Email: vcp_dev_officer@yahoo.com.au

Further info (including the paperwork).
    http://vic.canoe.org.au/polocomeandtry

I'd be drawing a very long bow to make this relevent to motorcycling, but lets try.

Kayaking requires good core strength, and the ability to move the boat independendantly of the rest of the body at times - and so does riding.

There! Sorted.

2. If I was in melbourne I would be doing this straight up. This looks like so much fun!

3. have witnessed this sport whilst walking round the maribrynon river, these guys have a blast, all you hear is laughter :)

4. Yep, we train there most Sunday mornings, some Saturdays... Its a good crew.