Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Sidecar laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mattb, May 24, 2009.

1. A searchin' and a googlin' ain't turning up much info. I'm curious about sidecar's and the law: specifically, what's involved in using a sidecar legally? Say I get one and get somebody to fabricate brackets and fit it to my bike, does that have the same (traumatic) status as custom frame building - that is, what process does one need to go through to satisfy Vic Roads when fitting a sidecar to a bike, assuming custom brackets will need to be used?

2. Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 1999 Sect. 805 has this to say:

Link: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic/consol_reg/rsr1999309/s805.html

I hope that helps.
  3. I'm not sure what the actual law is, but I booked into VicRoads and turned up with the sidecar attached to the bike which was unregistered but with an unregistered vehicle permit, plus a RWC certificate and receipts for the bike and the sidecar.

The lady doing the registration looked a bit confused, admitted she'd only done one before and registered it after looking at it for about 5 minutes.

I was never asked about engineers certificates or anything like that (although I have one for my leading link front end). I deliberately booked into VicRoads at the Kyneton office as it is significantly less busy than Bendigo (let alone Melbourne) and I was hoping for someone who didn't know sidecars :)

You experience may (probably will) vary...
  4. Don't know about Vic specifics.

Here in WA, sidecars are a bit of an anomaly. In spite of, in reality, converting a motorcycle into a completely different vehicle, fitting one is pretty simple from a bureaucratic POV.

To simply fit a sidecar using clamp-on fittings and without modification to the bike, no engineers report is necessary. Just a visit to the local inspection centre for a basic roadworthy (looking for lights, no loose bolts or obvious faults) and a change of rego and insurance category. Piece of the proverbial.

Mods to the bike (15" wheels, leading link forks, bracketry welded to frame etc.) do attract more attention and will probably require engineering approval.

It's all feasible though, as there are quite a number of highly developed and yet fully legal outfits on the road here.
  5. Thanks guys. I had a long chat tonight to one of the guys in the SR500 Club who usually comes on a sidecar outfit, either his BMW or his Burman set up. He's been doing it here for decades but has never bothered with Vic Roads. Anyway, he gave me a lot of advice. He builds his own leading link forks and the whole shabang (aircraft engineer by trade). So it looks like I'll be able to take one of his outfits for a ride, and if I decide when the money is ready to get one he can set it up and give me lessons. Sorted! Last SR meeting I got a free bottom end for my damaged SR bottom - it pays to join an enthusiast club! He picked up his DJP used for $1500 and said I should be able to get one for that price; otherwise there's the likes of this (he recently set up one, with extra framing welding to strengthen it) http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sidecar-Indian-Single-seater-with-fittings-Brand-new_W0QQitemZ200345203754QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Motorcycles?hash=item2ea581342a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318-|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

His description of what lies behind what is essentially his madness for sidecars was exactly a description of what is attracting me! :)
  6. I tok a side car in to vic roads to be inspected and was told the only rule was that if light are fitted they have to work.... the inspector asked if she could have a ride around the car park in it, said it was "cool" and sent me on my way
  7. Sounds about right :LOL: .