Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Short term insurance?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by grue, Oct 19, 2010.

  1. How the hell would one easily insure a friend's bike when borrowing it for a short period of time, e.g., a weekend?

  2. buy an insurance policy with no one you plan to reuse, get a refund on it two days later.
  3. Just get them to get a cover note for it.
    Say they're going to buy it.

    Never take up the insurance, premium and other charges will have to be paid if he/she
    claims though.

    Or, call you insurance and ask them how much.
  4. Yep I'd say call your insurance provider first... some policies provide cover for you to temporarily use other vehicles (e..g a mechanic's loan vehicle)... they will be able to clarify if they have something similar for just a mate's bike.

    Second choice would be the cover note idea.
  5. The problem with the cover note idea may be that if you bin it and it's not yours, you may find you are not covered. And you will have to go ahead and buy the policy.

    If your mate's bike is insured you may be able to have him to ring his company and add you as a nominated rider. Then you will be covered. They may have a different level of excess for you than for him so if you binned it you would need to make good on whatever extras he needs to pay.
  6. Cover note is the best idea if you don't want to pay anything, however if you bin it you have to pay full premium + excess.

    Adding as additional rider is probably the best solution if your doing on regular basis.