Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(VIC) Sharing a silly experience - What did I do to my bike!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by vette1, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Just responded to post by Haggismaen and it reminded me that I should share my silly experience. :oops:

My nice CBR900RR What did I do to you - Sob!

I have been on the road about 5 weeks now and i have (had) a very clean example where I am really starting to enjoy the bike and loving the riding.

I have a father that used to ride bikes and has memories and a passion for bikes that exceed most still today. Easter Sunday, A wholesome family day ( and no Netrider events!) where I thought I would do the right thing and take him out before lunch. He hopped on and we did about 30 kms before we returned home. He loved it! We got off at the front of the house and I could see the look in his eye. I said, OK take for a ride up the court and park it.

Zero hesitation! Off he goes up the road around the bowl of the court and then turns to come into the driveway - CRASH!!!! :oops: :cry: :mad: :? :shock: :eek: :( :roll:

He did nothing silly at all.. The last bike he had did not have front end twin disk hydraulic brakes!! It just went straight out from under him.

My bike!!! :cry: It was all my fault and I was more worried about my dad than the bike as it was simply embarrassing for him as 3 neighbours came rushing over to help him. He was fine ( I had dressed him properly in case of anu off) but his pride in his riding prowess was extremely dented. Mum and my family were inside the house and heard nothing so i was sworn to secrecy and with the words 'I will pay", "I will pay'.

That as it may be, a drop at 2km p/h, amazing the damage and effort to repair.

It cracked the front (special edition) fairing, scuffed the side fairing, bent the rear brake lever, bent the front brake lever and thats about all.

I said to him don't worry at all, we went in had luch and a great day (all sworn to secrecy).

As soon as my family left, sh%t!!!! flew out to the garage to survey the damage and immediately stripped the top down to make sure nothing else. Two cracked inner fairing panels were added to the list.

To my surprise, one of my best friends actually repairs bike fairings (Plastic Weld and Painting three layer pearl colour schemes) as part of his panel beating profession. I did not know but was I happy :LOL:

But when it comes to cost of parts and the wait for 'non-stocked' parts, thats something else.

If I wanted a new upper fairing $1,700.00
    A lousey rear brake lever $103.00 (Plus rubber, plus pins etc)
    Inner fairing plastics $140.00 each
    Lead Time on new decals 6-8 weeks.

Went to wreckers and could only source one rear brake lever in all of Melbourne and no luck with inner fairings.

Lucky my mate can fix them!!

Further, I thought I would replace scuffed (old scuffs) mirrors and front indicators. OEM mirror assemblies $170.00 Non Original $50.00. Bargain and look exactly the same!

Wrong!! - The mirrors looked good but the rubber/plastic sleves were to short and would not stay secured along the mirror shaft. What Crap!! Back they will go.

The Indicators - No problem with these fitting etc. Purchased left hand and right hand. What did I get?? Two right hands despite pachaking labels. Back one goes!!

Frankly, the cost of OEM parts is disgracefull but the aftermarket stuff is on the right track but just too cheap to put on a good bike.

Anyway, I put it all back together yesterday and I am so pleased! It has a couple of discreet scars on the upper fairing until the decals can come in for a full restoration and all other scuffs polished out.

What is the moral of this story?? Don't drop your bike!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Love your father but - Don't let him ride your bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!