Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Safety Levy Money: How To Get It?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Chollima, Jul 5, 2010.

1. The safety levy is probably making about $5 or $6 million a year. Suppose I wanted some of it. I've been looking on the web and I can't find anything about a mechanism for institutions or individuals to apply to use this money.

So before I start letter writing does anyone know if such a mechanism exists, or is it purely a top down approach where the money is given to companies/institutions to perform the required tasks?

2. this is not the centrelink you're looking for :p](*,)
  3. Thanks for the info. It's good that VMAC shows exactly what it does with the money (in the Appendix of the annual report). Using the 08/09 figures, $7.9 mil was allocated in total: $6.9 mil on roadworks, $0.4 mil on education, $0.4 mil on research, and $0.2 mil on promoting the levy itself.

My plan was that money could be given to St Johns Ambulance Australia to provide heavily subsidised first-aid courses for bikers for a trial period. It wouldn't cost much ($0.1 mil maximum), would benefit riders more directly and would be consistent with the 2009-2013 PTW Action Plan which gives one of the key areas as 'post-crash management of injured riders'.

Unfortunately it's a no-go :(. The mechanism is that all proposals for use of the money must be made by VicRoads (which are then okayed by VMAC), so to get some of it the support of VicRoads is a necessity. The levy money is therefore effectively VicRoads' money. And from VicRoads' point of view I can't see them supporting it.

Why would VicRoads agree to giving away (effectively) their own money to another company, when it could be spent on roadworks instead?

I've already got a balaclava...
  4. It's not vic roads money it is our money
  5. Good plan, I'll pm you shortly
  6. That's actually a pretty good idea mate.