Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC RWC laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by I'm Simon, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. I used "search" but didn't really turn anything up, so apologies if this question has already been done to death.

    When buying or selling a bike privately (transfer of ownership) is it law that a RWC must be supplied by the seller?

  2. Only if you want to transfer the existing rego with it.
    Else you cancel it and just give or get a receipt for the bike.
  3. Private seller only has to supply a RWC if they're selling it as a registered vehicle so the registration can be transferred.
    If they're selling it unregistered then there's no obligation for it to be roadworthy - though you will still need proof of the sale to register it later.
  4. what they said...

    RWC at time of sale is still easier though. :wink:
  5. Ohhhh, I have a question. Does a crack in the windscreen fail a RWC?

    I'm guessing it does, even though the windscreen is so small its of no damn use...
  6. NO .
    The seller is not obligated in any way to supply a RWC.
    However .. transfer of registration cannot happen without submitting a RWC. This can be submitted by either party. Ownership and Registration details are not necessarily the same thing.
    If the seller sells you the bike without a RWC, and sends off the transfer papers, You ( the new owner ) will be sent notification by Vic Roads that you are now required to supply a current RWC within a specified time. Failing that, Vic Roads will cancel the registration.

    Hope this helps.

    Bonkers : yes
  7. VCM is correct. Just bought a vic regestered bike and re-registered it in NSW. Had to get a RWC to re-registered it myself. The sellor gave me a"proof of sale & purchase" and was not required to supply a RWC. He had "sold as is and is WITHOUT a RWC" on the document. He got his info from Vic Roads to ensure it was all legal.
  8. I sold a motorbike back in November and noted on the receipt that the vehicle was sold without a certificate of roadworthy. In regard to the tranfer papers, I did not fill in the applicable RWC section and sent off the paperwork to Vic Roads the following day.

    The purchaser knew of this before hand and was willing to do this.

    No one hunted me down for not adhering to the requirements.

    The purchaser is required within 14 days to submit the RWC certificate that the seller is supposed to supply and the other paperwork. If he doesn't, as he is supposed to do, I wouldn't be going be going out of my way to get another for them and I'm sure they would get one themselves and submit it without a problem.

    Vic Roads information below.

    Seller (Disposer)
    You must decide whether you wish to sell the vehicle with or without current

    With current registration – if so, you must:
    • Provide the buyer with a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) issued in Victoria not
    more than 30 days before the date of disposal
    • Complete this form together with the buyer
    Note: these items are a legal requirement. If you sell the vehicle to a Licensed Motor
    Car Trader (LMCT), a RWC is not required
    • Give the white copy to the buyer and keep the pink copy for your records
    Without current registration
    You do not need to provide a RWC or complete this form.
    To cancel the registration you must telephone VicRoads on 13 1171. To claim a refund
    on registration fees, the number plates must be returned to a VicRoads Customer Service

    http colon //www dot vicroads dot vic dot gov dot au/NR/rdonlyres/2069656A-F68E-4563-B9A5-4B9A9922F7A4/0/ApplicationforTransofreg.pdf

  9. Pssst.

    May be of some use.