Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Vic rider thinking about doing Qride

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by rye, May 26, 2008.

  1. Hi All,

    I'm not sure if this has been discussed before and I couldn't locate anything with the search.

    And so I'm wondering if it would be possible for a Victorian 'restricted' license holder to go over to QLD and complete the Qride course to get a QLD open license ?

    What are the limitations? Has anyone taken the above approach as a 'fast track' to their open license ?

    Feedback appreciate.
  2. I dont know but if your thinking about it i would do it soon as theres changes coming to Q-ride :wink:
  3. I don't think it would be possible, quite honestly.

    As the rules stand currently (set to change very soon as mentioned), you must have held your P's/Open licence for a combined total of at least 3 years out of the last 5 (i think 5..? may be wrong) before you will be considered eligible to go straight to your unrestricted moto licence.

    Easier way to find out for sure would be to call RTA/QLD Transport and ask them. :grin:
  4. And I do believe you have to "live"* there

    (* By live, I mean have a holiday house, friend or rellos that you can use as a fixed address and have all corrospondence forwarded to you.)
  5. The reason I asked is because the 3 year criteria applies to your car license.
    I have had a full Victorian car license for more than 3 years and currently hold an R license with restrictions (12 months on 260cc). Below from qld transport website:

    'You can progress directly from your motorbike learner licence to a class R licence if you have held your class C (car) licence for at least three years. This three-year period may be accumulated through a number of periods that you have held the class of licence, but these periods must fall within the last five years.'

    The only issue is I don't live QLD and my car license is Victorian...
    I'm hoping someone might have successfully done the switch.
  6. Do you have someone living in QLD?
    If so, do a change of address on your licence ?
  7. Nope :shock:
  8. My cousin flew up from Canberra and spent the weekend doing his Q-Ride, got his compliance certificate, licence issued and was home on Tuesday night. That was 2 years ago - and he hasn't ridden a bike since.

    He changed his address to his Mum's, so he was eligible.

    But the rules are changing June 30 - after that you have to hold a 250 licence (RE) for a minimum of 12 months before you can get an unrestricted licence. Pretty much every QRide provider in Brisbane is booked till June 30 - maybe Townsville can help you??
  9. Even without a QLD address it is easy to do, I did it myself and have told select others how to get around it. Just be quick as other have mentioned changes are coming June 30th
  10. thanks for the feedback guys, i'm still looking into this.