Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic] Rider casualty figures

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by TonyE, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Somewhere recently I mentioned that around 60% of motorcycle casualties are single vehicle crashes. I said I'd post up some info but I can't remember which thread it was in.

Here's a list of Victorian fatalities to August 2008
    each line is taken from the released information.

I don't have the last quarter at present.

Those where the other vehicle was predominately at fault are bold

Two were caused by hitting kangaroos.
    One may have been medically caused (heart)

Rider came off on Willowgrove Road and struck a tree

she was struck by a utility doing a u-turn

the rider collided with a pole, then a roundabout at the intersection of Franklin st

See Above ( Pillion)

The bike and rider collided into a concrete power pole before coming to rest on the footpath.

It is believed the motorcyclist was travelling east then he collided with a light pole on the centre strip and came off the motorcycle.

Believed the rider was filtering through traffic. (cause may have been a medical condition)

The collision occurred around 10.40am when a group of five motorcycles were travelling west along Eurack Road. The leader of the convoy attempted to turn left into Mt Hesse Road and lost control of the bike. The second bike also lost control and collided into the leader.

Motorcycle veered off road and struck a tree

Rider struck a Kangarooo

The rider lost control of his Suzuki motorcycle while attempting to negotiate a sweeping right-hand bend… The bike crashed into a rock cliff face.

The rider from Tallwoods Village lost control of his Yamaha 1000 motorcycle while attempting to negotiate a downhill left-hand sweeping bend, the bike slid across the road and under a Tip Truck which was heading up the mountain

The 1982 model Harley-Davidson that was seen travelling east in Royal Avenue has collided with the CRV. The female driver of the CRV was attempting a u-turn to travel west in Royal Avenue.

Police believe the man was riding with about 30 other motorcyclists, he went across the road and down an embankment.

struck by a Mitsubishi utility driven by a 54-year-old man from Walpa.

The rider lost control of the motorcycle, skidded through the intersection and mounted a median strip before crashing through a fence and through a brick wall of a house

motorcycle collided with a green Magna sedan

Police believe a removalist van had been travelling west along Inkerman Street and attempted to turn right into King Street when a motorcyclist travelling east in Inkerman Street struck the rear of the truck.
    rider slid underneath a four-wheel-drive which was stationary – rider was pulling a mono in Latrobe St City and slid underneath a four-wheel-drive which was stationary at the William Street intersection.

rider left the road colliding into a guard rail and street sign.

Struck a car between Wild Dog Valley Rd and Ross and Witherdons Rd.

Investigators have been told that the 52 year-old Redcliffs man went riding yesterday afternoon on his 2003 Yamaha 450 solo – believed he hit a kangaroo.

Bendigo man riding a Harley Davidson north along Calder highway and lost control. Police believe he failed to negotiate a bend near Fogarty's road

2. seems like biggest killers on the road are power poles and kangaroos

3. Perhaps they should introduce Pole dancing Roo's at venues. At least it'll keep em off the streets and make our roads safer. :p

4. [NSW] And it's not even April 1st!

edit: moved to new topic

5. Thanks TonyE for compiling the info

Sobering stuff to read :cry:

6. Rider came off on Willowgrove Road and struck a tree
    Why did the rider come off the bike before hitting a tree? Did he jump or was he knocked off?

she was struck by a utility doing a u-turn

the rider collided with a pole, then a roundabout at the intersection of Franklin st
    What caused the bike to veer into the pole? It was before the roundabout so the rider must have been going straight before something caused a change in direction.

See Above ( Pillion)

The bike and rider collided into a concrete power pole before coming to rest on the footpath.
    Why did the rider leave the road? Did he fall asleep or was he pushed/knocked off the road? Perhaps he swerved to miss something?

It is believed the motorcyclist was travelling east then he collided with a light pole on the centre strip and came off the motorcycle.
    Was the rider traveling on the centre strip before the colission or was the bike forced off the road?

Believed the rider was filtering through traffic. (cause may have been a medical condition)
    How is filtering relevent? Medical conditions can cause fatalities when not filtering also can't they?

The collision occurred around 10.40am when a group of five motorcycles were travelling west along Eurack Road. The leader of the convoy attempted to turn left into Mt Hesse Road and lost control of the bike. The second bike also lost control and collided into the leader.
    Two bikes crash on the same turn one after the other and there's no mention of the road surface condition? Maybe target fixation cause both to fall or maybe oil/diesel on the road?

Motorcycle veered off road and struck a tree
    Why did the rider veer off the road? Was it for a cheap thrill or was the real cause of the accident just proir to the rider veering off?

Rider struck a Kangarooo

The rider lost control of his Suzuki motorcycle while attempting to negotiate a sweeping right-hand bend… The bike crashed into a rock cliff face.
    Were excessive corner speed, inexperience or road surface likely factors?

The rider from Tallwoods Village lost control of his Yamaha 1000 motorcycle while attempting to negotiate a downhill left-hand sweeping bend, the bike slid across the road and under a Tip Truck which was heading up the mountain
    As above.

The 1982 model Harley-Davidson that was seen travelling east in Royal Avenue has collided with the CRV. The female driver of the CRV was attempting a u-turn to travel west in Royal Avenue.

Police believe the man was riding with about 30 other motorcyclists, he went across the road and down an embankment.
    Why did the rider cross the road and down an embankment? Something caused this and their were 30 potential witnesses the cops could have asked.

struck by a Mitsubishi utility driven by a 54-year-old man from Walpa.

The rider lost control of the motorcycle, skidded through the intersection and mounted a median strip before crashing through a fence and through a brick wall of a house
    How did the rider lose control before skidding through the intersection? Was it excess braking causing the wheels to lock or somehing else?

motorcycle collided with a green Magna sedan

Police believe a removalist van had been travelling west along Inkerman Street and attempted to turn right into King Street when a motorcyclist travelling east in Inkerman Street struck the rear of the truck.
    rider slid underneath a four-wheel-drive which was stationary – rider was pulling a mono in Latrobe St City and slid underneath a four-wheel-drive which was stationary at the William Street intersection.
    See how much more sence this explaination makes than the others because the lead up events are described, rather than just the consequences.

rider left the road colliding into a guard rail and street sign.
    Did the rider leave the road for fun or did something force the rider off the road?

Struck a car between Wild Dog Valley Rd and Ross and Witherdons Rd.

Investigators have been told that the 52 year-old Redcliffs man went riding yesterday afternoon on his 2003 Yamaha 450 solo – believed he hit a kangaroo.

Bendigo man riding a Harley Davidson north along Calder highway and lost control. Police believe he failed to negotiate a bend near Fogarty's road
    Do they think he failed to negotiate the bend through excessive speed or was the road surface or oncoming traffic running wide a likely factor?

Do the police invesigators even try to explain bike crashes or do they think that bikes just fall over for no reason? I realise that it is impossible to ask a dead rider what happened but in events where the cause is unknown, they should at least attempt to detirmine the cause or suggest likey factors. Many of these explainations are dimply descriptions of the aftermath with no mention of the cause. It would be foolish to just assume the rider was at fault in all cases.

I'm not saying the rider's couldn't have been at fault. What I'm saying is that we don't actually know what happened so fault cannot be instantly placed on riders who can't give their side of the story.

7. Almost all of them were going into a corner too hard - the rider and pillion who died braked from around 150kph and lost it. The mark on the statue in the roundabout in Franklin St near the Victoria Markets where the pillion hit it was more than 2 metres above the ground.

There's only one without witnesses who were mostly other riders.

The group ride where two bikes went down was because the first one went down and the next bike ws too close. No particular issues with that piece of road.

The veering off the road was also on a corner. In no case was there a suggestion of any other vehicles "forcing" riders off the road. The one without witnesses was in thick fog.(the guard rail and street sign)

Every single solo vehicle crash was pushing it too hard into a corner. Not necessarily over the speed limit (there's a few that were really well over most weren't) it was just too fast for their skill/the corner/the bike...

The average age of those riders was 42. The medical condition was that the rider fell and went under the truck wheels. They suspect a heart attack (he was 70) but as his chest was crushed they had no conclusive proof.

8. That incident was the one that claimed Ron Solomon (aka. the Balls High Performance guy). One of the more skilled road riders around that I've encountered. Would've been riding non-stop for well over 30 years.

Looking through the list I'm not seeing the one that occurred on the Black Spur early this year (around Feb I think) where a guy overtook on the blind crest about 6 or 7 corners back from Fernshaw (ie. the straight bit that the camo police regularly set up on) and plowed into the front edge of an oncoming car cresting the other direction. From what I understood, the rider did not die at the scene, but did succumb to complications from his injuries three or four days later, and this has been stated a number of times by the boys in blue on the Spur as the reason for their presence in general, but also for targetting that section specifically.

9. This forum, and the mentality of some of the people on it, never ceases to amaze me. As soon as there's mention of a motorcycle accident, the automatic assumption is that it MUST have been someone else's fault.

There are dozens of accidents every day in our big capital cities, many more than you hear about on the radio traffic reports. Nearly all involve cars. No-one immediately pipes up and says, "Oh, it must have been someone else's fault...". But that's the default response if a motorcycle is involved in an accident :?

So here Tony's given us the stats for single-vehicle accidents. And the response is not, "Thanks for the warning, must be a bit careful", but the insinuation that they, too, must have been someone else's fault. Amazing.

Think about this for just 30 seconds. If CARS had the same power-to-weight ratios as bikes, there would be hundreds more single vehicle accidents per month involving cars. Why? Because these bike accidents are, as Tony pointed out, about under-skilled riders, or speeding riders, or drunk riders, or smart-aleck riders trying to impress their mates, or just plain stupid riders, or a combination of any/all of the above. It's OUR fault; don't look for someone else to blame.

11. Really? :? I haven't noticed. If anything, people tend to be fairly quick to point out to riders where they went wrong themselves.

If you're refering to my comments then you've failed to read the post. I was pointing out that the info given wasn't sufficient to lay blame anywhere. I was looking for more info relating to the cause rather than the consequence in these crashes.

The one incident where lead up info was given, I didn't doubt the rider was at fault did I? :wink:
    My questions were not assuming the crashes were caused by anything out of the rider's control, nor do I assume that other vehicles must have been involved. I presented possible scenarios on the info given at the time.

Why did I ask? Because to detirmine that a crash occured because "the rider fell off" is stupid and helps nobody. Without knowing what caused the loss of control there is no way of knowing how to prevent it in future. The prevention is one step before the crash (not during or after it), so that is the important part to look at Paul. :)

12. My comments were not directed at you in this thread but at a general trend on the forum, mate :). I agree that there seems to be a lack of reliable information available after an accident from which useful instruction can be gathered, that's for sure. The most recent fatality on the Macquarie Pass here is a classic example; local knowledge is that the guy was, in the words of other riders on the road at the same time "riding like an idiot", and his death was caused by his losing control of the bike and plunging over the armco barrier and down a vertical cliff on its other side.

All that said, to the best of my knowledge, the results of any inquest (this happened well over a year ago) have not been made public, and the public is allowed to think whatever it wants about the incident. This is not good for us a motorcycling community, because there is no 'cautionary tale' from which to learn, and because, if another vehicle HAD been involved, at least we would have some mitigating argument in our defence.

13. I always stop to read your posts, Tony, but this thread (and it's sibling earlier) is particularly particularly good. Rather than creating a false sense of security when seeing an analysis of what might otherwise have been an assumption: that rider fatalities (and no doubt accidents more generally) involve in a higher percentage of cases causal inputs that equate to rider responsibility, and so show a greater safety margin can be reached by one's riding style and commitment to skilled and defensive riding, rather this information inspires one to persevere with developing such safety 'barriers'. Perhaps it's trivial to those who feel it less, but I have periods of ongoing anxiety regarding the risks involved in what is a powerful and hopefully life-long passion, and this is information is also comforting without being counter-productive to the above commitment (on the contrary)! Thanks again.

14. All sounds pretty believable to me.

Its common sense that bikes fail on corners. They accelerate rapidly but corner slower and with less room for error than cars.

Although the kangaroo thing has me worried.

15. I'm very sceptical with so called "facts and figures" on accidents and other road related stuff that come from our Safetycrats.....
    Just check out the following link and you'll see how the RTA in NSW "fudge" stuff.... http://www.sendspace.com/file/e8ypfg
    I'm willing to bet other States probably do things along similar lines..... :wink:

16. There are Lies, Damn Lies and then there are Statisitics but in the list provided by TonyE that started this thread it's a list of motorcycle fatalities and a preliminary cause of the incident.

Pretty hard to fudge that info like they could with other stats.