Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC]: Rear Mudguards

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by jm, May 24, 2009.

1. Firstly, I've tried doing a search on this but haven't really come up with a definitive answer. If I've missed one please point me in the right direction :)

Whats the go with laws in relation to rear mudguards? I gather (I think) that it's illegal to take them off completely, is there a certain length they have to be in order to be considered legal? And how likely is it that you will actually get pulled over for having an "illegal" one, or not having one at all?
    Cheers.

2. cover 45 degrees from axle.

3. + 1 to Thera. The requirement is
    ADR 14.3.3.1

14.3.3.1 Rear ‘Axle’ and Side-car
    The wheel guard provided for the rear wheel and for the
    wheel of any side-car must extend not less than from a
    point vertically above the foremost part of the wheel
    rearward to a point not higher than the intersection of the
    arc of the wheel guard with a line through the centre of the
    wheel at 45 degrees to a horizontal plane through the
    centre of the wheel when a mass of 45 kg is distributed in
    the saddle of the vehicle at its ‘Unladen Mass’.

4. What Thera said. Regards being pinged, it's hard to say. If it looks blatantly like a back-yard chop job, you might get a cop that pulls you over. If it looks like it might be the way the bike was made from the factory you might be lucky. Also depends if there is a bike blitz on, when you might be pulled over, have your license checked, get breathalised, and have your bike gone over with a fine-tooth comb.

In short, it's a gamble. If you do get picked up on it, there is also the chance that you will just be told to put the stock guard back on, or you might get a fault notice and/or fine.

5. great, that was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks :)