Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] P's period with unrestricted cage licence = 6 months?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by MattyB, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew more info about this.

    I'm currently on my L's for my bike, and P's for my car.

    I'm off my P's for my car in less than a few weeks, and I'm due to go for my P's for my bike.

    If I wait until I'm unrestricted for the car licence - will I only have to be on my P's for my bike for 6 months, instead of 12?
  2. depends on your age and your unresricted car licence

    usually the 6 months is only for drivers over 30 with a gold licence, from what i can tell from what you have said your currently on your p's for the cage? if this is so your question will not apply to you as you do not automatincally qualify for a gold licence
  3. qbnspeedfreak - Matty's from Victoria. I'm not sure if what you say applies to Vic.

    Matty - It's probably best just to contact VicRoads. I might give them a call today..you're the second person to tell me this may be the case - the other was a cop who thought something similar.
  4. Re: [VIC] P's period with unrestricted cage licence = 6 mont


  5. With your full licence in a car you are still on your Ps for 12 months. but then you are compleatly unrestrictced.

    But I think you need to have held your full licence for 3 years as I recall
  6. I think you'll go to your 12 months restriction when you are off your car P's. If they punch a hole through your car license at your test that's what will happen. If they issue you a new license I think it might have its own time.
  7. No.

    The only benefit of being off your car P's and getting your resticted licence, is that you will not have to display your P plate.

    You will still have to do your 12 months like all other viccos.
  8. Thats correct, at the testing site they'll issue you a temp license which states when your restrictions end - 12 months from the date of issue.

    So you're basically restricted for at least 15 months - 3 months for L's and 12 months for P's.
  9. this gets threads all the time. The first 12 months of holding a motorcycle licence has restrictions applied as posted here by Triway. A probationary licence period is a totally different issue. In victoria - the first time you are a holder of a motor vehicle licence (car or bike) you are required to go thru a probationary period (it is based on you acquiring road rule/traffic knowledge and experience). Your displaying of P's and probationary period will apply from the start of whichever licence yuo got first and applies to both.
  10. Ok just been through all of this myself.

    I had my full drivers license (Victorian)

    Went and got my Motorcycle L's and got a separate licence. So had both a motorcycle and car license.

    Went for my motorcycle P's. Had to give over my car drivers licence and I received 1 drivers license for both car and bike.

    On the license under licence type is R 13-09-07 (12 months from the date I obtained my motorcycle P's)

    On the back side of the licence under conditions is
    E Bike 260CC & No Pillion Passenger. End Restriction (13-09-2007)

    On another note does that mean I can have a BAC of 0.05 as per my car licence as it say's nothing of that restriction?

  11. Riding your motorcycle

    A person issued with a motorcycle licence for the first time will have the following restrictions placed on their licence for 12 months from the date the motorcycle licence is issued:

    you cannot ride a motorcycle with an engine capacity exceeding 260 cubic centimetres
    you must not ride a motorcycle while carrying a pillion passenger (a motorcycle and sidecar is acceptable with a passenger)
    you must have a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of .00% when riding a motorcycle, even if you already have a full motorcar licence
  12. And, if you are busted for non zero BAC during that period while riding the bike, your one and only licence (for car and bike) is affected; so ....

    "If you drink, drive your car!"

    but keep below .05
  13. So if I have a full car license, I dont need to display P's on bike??
  14. NO