Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Vic]Powered Two Wheeler Road Safety and Transport Strategy

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Aug 31, 2009.

1. I've just come back from the official launch - it's finally out!

This plan is going to be the benchmark for any future Australian Strategies (and stands up very well against most international ones as well).

I think this is groundbreaking stuff... JK did a video of the Minister's speech and it will go up on our website in the next day or so. It really pushes the positive stuff - especially the transport side.

And as we said in our media release on it today - there is always room for improvement, and we'll now focus our efforts to see that the plan is properly implemented and funded between now and 2013.

2.4Mb PDF available at:

A few extracts from the 42 page strategy:

The first page:
    The Victorian Government recognises that powered two wheelers (PTWs)* are a part of Victoria’s transport future.

The number of PTWs on Victorian roads has increased steadily in recent years. This trend has occurred throughout Australia and is expected to continue into the future. There is a need to balance the safety and mobility needs of riders in the broader context of an integrated transport system.

PTWs are seen by many people as an attractive alternative form of transport to the car for daily commuting. With rising fuel prices, depending on the choice of vehicle, they can be cheaper to buy and operate than a car. They can also be a more efficient way to travel in congested traffic, and easier and cheaper to park.

Victoria’s Road Safety and Transport Strategic Action Plan for Powered Two Wheelers 2009–2013 is designed to set a new strategic direction for the use of PTWs in Victoria over the next five years. For the first time it takes an integrated approach to PTW safety and transport.

The plan builds on Victoria’s previous success by targeting four areas for action:

• increasing knowledge and understanding of PTW riding and crashes

• ensuring that PTWs are given appropriate recognition in transport policy and planning in Victoria

• improving rider awareness, skills and knowledge

• encouraging greater use of safer motorcycles and scooters, equipment and protective clothing by riders.

The plan is aligned with Victoria’s Road Safety Strategy: arrive alive 2008–2017 and the Victorian Transport Plan. It recognises the critical priorities of improving safety on our roads, reducing congestion and moving towards a more sustainable and lower emissions transport system.

The plan has been developed in consultation with a range of stakeholders, including significant input from members of the Victorian Motorcycle Advisory Council.

Conduct research into both the road safety and transport impacts of road space management opportunities, such as lane filtering, advanced stop lines and use of bus and transit lanes to identify possible initiatives for trialling. This will include monitoring developments internationally.

Analyse and disseminate data collected by the 2007 Victoria Integrated Survey of Travel and Activity (VISTA07) and through other research on PTW use.

Collate and disseminate information on the fuel efficiency and emissions of PTWs, and develop advice on eco-riding.
    Department of TransportVicRoadsEnvironment Protection

Promote the introduction or wider application of alternative fuels, low emission technology vehicles and technologies that have overall environmental and energy efficiency benefits.

Work with other governments through national forums to develop standards for motor vehicle emissions and fuel quality.

Evaluate the utilisation of existing parking spaces for PTWs at transport hubs to identify if there is a need for more spaces.

Promote the availability of parking spaces for PTWs at transport hubs.

Review the guidelines for PTW parking in light of international best practice.

Work across state and local government to ensure PTWs are considered in policy development and transport planning.

Work with professional associations of engineers and transport planners to increase awareness of PTW specific safety and transport needs.

2. MRA Media Relase put out today:

3. Not wanting to be a wet blanket, but
    It sounds like a lot of planning to show consideration when planning…
    It will be interesting to see if anything concrete comes out of it
  4. fawesome.
    keep fighting the good fight, guys
  5. Ominous. But we can hardly expect them not to look at it...

The use of the term 'filtering' in a non-negative way is very encouraging, as is the mention of advanced stop lines.

I'm reasonably happy with what I've found so far. job well done, folks.
  6. The thing about identification is that now that they've explicitly rejected front numberplates in this strategy, anything else they come up with won't just be for motorcycles - any issues with electronic id will be for all vehicles, so that will make it quite a different ball game.

Frontal identification of motorcycles using decals or front number plates has been investigated and not found to be a satisfactory solution. However, the potential for alternative solutions will be explored further.

It's not just a matter of "planning for planning"

It's a whole new change of attitude.

There is a recognition that PTWs can offer benefits for the operation of the transport system by reducing traffic congestion, and can have environmental benefits compared with travel by car.

This is an action plan and lists responsibilities. It's breadth that makes it different. It goes to the level of looking at the level of training for the people designing and maintaining the road systems.

Liaise with tertiary institutions delivering engineering courses to include content on PTW friendly engineering products, practices and maintenance procedures in relevant courses.

Ensure road safety audit methodologies and training for
    engineers address PTW safety issues.
  7. Don't like this
    Don't agree with this
  8. What - you think that high numbers of deaths and injuries are inevitable?
  9. I hear ya, but I'm still pleased that we're officially one step further forward than we were before.
    My take on it is, these are more of guideline about how the game is to be played, and now it's time to start playing. :)
  10. Don't overdramatise it, he never said that.

And yes I agree with Bonk, they are inevitable. As a rider I've had to accept that's a possible outcome for me, to not accept it is a dillusion.
  11. What Chef said.

"High" is both subjective and relative, so please don't add it to what I said without qualification from either of us.

But, the fact is, yes: millions of tonnes of metal move in excess of 100km/hr every day on our roads, controlled by people who didn't sleep well, skipped breakfast, had a fight with their wife that morning, couldn't get the kids dressed in time for school, are hungover, are still drunk, are on prescription drugs, are late for a meeting, are on illicit drugs, have low blood sugar, have high blood sugar, are sneezing because of hayfever, or perhaps forgot to take their epilepsy medication... etc etc etc

Minor injury, propery damage, serious injury and death are all inevitable, regardless of whatever any road safety wish-list puts into print.

Were the authors of the document not aware of this? Or are they in denial that it is the case?
  12. Apologies for the word high...

However, it is not inevitable that we should be 3.7% of vehicles and 16% of deaths. Getting those figures down is quite reasonable.

Australia has 4.9 deaths per 10,000 registrations, Germany has 2, Japan has 1.4, the Dutch have 1.1. Of course the number we have is not inevitable.

just improving roads has dropped crashes by about 25% at some locations in Victoria.
  13. I must say that I am getting a laugh out of all your responses guys.

What you all need to remember is the hundreds of hours that have been invested in putting this Strategy together.

I expect that some of you will choose to pick it to bits.

What you all need to recognize is the significant step forward that this document represents. It involved a lot of word smithing by riders on VMAC.

But, as I said in the media release, there is always room for improvement and now our task is to keep them honest and make them follow the strategy :grin: :grin:
  14. I think some deaths and injuries are inevitable. I think no deaths or injuries is an unachievable goal, and even if it was, a good number of the participants would go off and kill themselves doing something else instead.

It's authorities going off and trying to achieve this 'vision zero' stuff at any expense to existing personal freedoms that worries a lot of us (is that Bonk's concern?). But there's no reason not to look at sensible and reasonable measures that would make things safer for us. So far, all they've said they want to do is 'improve safety'.

We may not have many reasons to trust them, but at least this time they have acknowledged that we exist, and that we have our own needs. That's better than it was before.
  15. Yeah No argument.
    It is a huge step further.
    As you and Tony have pointed out several times PTW, Motorbike, and Motor Scooter are words that have historically not appeared in any RTA Guff, so getting those words into there vocabulary is massive.
    But I am not one to bet the house against the words of a Politician (Or public servent) (Written or Spoken).
    I think Chef has put it very well here…
  16. This is not actually a strategy - it's an action plan (much stronger) with responsibility and time lines included. The actions listed are to be carried out in 2009-2011 (over the next couple of years).

It's not perfect - but it's far better than anything else that's out there. We've got trialling of advanced stop lines, lane filtering etc. mentioned explicitly.

To quote from the launch speech: We’re also currently researching the impacts of new road space management to identify possible trials, including motorcycles sharing bus lanes
  17. What?
    Little things come off second best against big things?
    Surprise surprise.

And do those countries have fewer car accidents too?
    I'll bet they do.

Australia is beset by the tyranny of distance... coupled with shit and poorly managed public transport systems (speaking from Sydney here, mainly) - public outcry prevents the government from raising the cost and the level of training required to operate any vehicle.
    Our population density means that we simply can't afford the level of road maintenance in many areas that European countries can afford overall.

We are a nation of mediocre drivers with no other way to get to work.

Our higher crash rate is as inevitable as the resultant deaths.

So cementing in the promise to re-review front number plates every few years would be resultant two significant steps back, then?

Look, I am a cynical bastard.
    I think the enforcement section of this document is a farcical betrayal of common-sense and motorcyclists both... but in that respect, it's just like every other piece of 'road safety strategy' I've ever read.

As far as the other (actually positive!) things go:
    Can you explain how the MRA/VMAC will be ensuring new strategies (like improved recording of crash information by the police) are actually implemented?

And how will you be holding Vicroads accountable for those other things, like road maintenance improvements, and advertising initiatives to assist with rider and driver awareness?
  18. Hey Bonk, I notice you are from NSW.

As this is a Vic strategy it probably will have no impact on you.

We appreciate your interest - and at the same time feel sorry for you guys in the other states...... :)
  19. There's more info in the FAQ

Now where does it say that?

So - the fact that the current community policing and education strategy has resulted in fewer people being booked is a betrayal?

The emphasis out of this is on education. The Superbikes weekend at PI is a good example. About a tenth of the number booked last year - people were stopped and cautioned (including car drivers) and only booked for really dumb things (very high level speeding on the Island, failing to give way etc). The predominate checks were for rego and licences. No noise checks.

Part of the program has involved putting quite a few non-riding Traffic Management Unit (TMU) Coppers through some basic motorcycle training at HART. Not only has it given them a better understanding of what (and why) riders do, it's also given them an understanding of what behaviours by car drivers affect riders and caused a positive rethink of their approach to motorcyclists.

What's more I believe it's given a good few of them the idea of actually going and taking up riding themselves - and that can't be a bad thing.

We've said it isn't perfect. There's still stuff like the "34 times more likely..." and an emphasis on speed as a primary cause. But there is a section of "Other road users responsibilities to riders" as well.

Another plus is that there's the education of those involved in the design construction and maintenance of the road environment to be more aware of the specific needs pf PTWs. VicRoads have already held seminars on PTW issues for road engineers and have produced a DVD on the subject.

I'm also a little cycnical and I believe that we will need to keep the pressure up to make sure all the actions get undertaken. But that's not a reason to discount it. We don't agree with everything there but there's so many positives that they far outweigh the few negatives.

It's funny though - Sydney City Council give some minor parking concessions and it's hailed as a victory. Victoria goes far beyond what anyone else has in this country and it gets holes picked in it...
  20. It well might actually. I was talking to Guy Stanford this morning andd he asked for some of the printed versions. (After he stopped saying how bloody wonderful it was and congratulating us) :LOL:

I suspect it's going to give the MCC up there some ammunition.