Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Police to waste more time and money on stupid crap

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by grue, Jun 2, 2010.

1. http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/4069-cbd-police-wave-black-flag-on-motorbike-deaths.html

Up to 30 police will gather in City Square this morning for one of the biggest ever public briefings before they embark on a three day quest to help save motorcyclists lives.

As a sign of their support and belief in the Victoria Police vision to reduce trauma suffered by the motorcycling community, members will be briefed on their tasks for Operation Yellow Flag/Black Flag.

The operation, run as part of a two-year joint project between police and the Victorian Motorcycle Advisory Council, focuses on educating all road users who commute to and from the CBD about looking out for each other – particularly motorcyclists.

Already this year 29 motorcyclists have died on Victorian roads, 14 more than this time last year. The number accounts for almost one fifth of all fatalities this year.

Twenty-two of the deceased riders were aged over 30, and 12 of the 29 died on roads with a speed limit of 60 km/h or less speed zone.

This week’s operation involves members from across the CBD and beyond on foot patrol, in vehicles and on motorbikes attempting to engage road users and educate them on the importance of sharing the road.

Sergeant Shane Cowman, who will brief the members this morning, said Melbourne’s CBD is ranked highest area in the state for road trauma, and collisions involving motorbikes and scooters are a concern.

“The maps and data show us that motorcyclists in the city are over represented in serious injury collision data, and we know that the majority of these are preventable,” Sgt Cowman said.

Police will focus on engaging with motorcyclists and other road users during the peak commuter hours in CBD streets as well as popular feeder routes such as the Eastern and Monash freeways.

Riders and motorists will be reminded to take care this week and police will be enforcing against the following offences:

o Speeding
    o Unlicensed/Disqualified/Suspended/non LAMS bike learner
    o Unregistered bikes and vehicles
    o Failing to give way
    o Crossing double lines
    o Drink and Drug Driving

According to police analysts, one of the key areas for collisions involving motorcycles is the West Gate Freeway to Bolte Bridge off ramp.

To try and combat this, police have installed a variable message board at the site and will focus on the area when on patrol.

“Black spots are our focus but really, police will be out and about trying to engage with motorcyclists and educate them on the importance of wearing appropriate clothing, riding within the limits and wearing a helmet.

“But at the end of the day, this isn’t all about targeting those on two wheels. Sharing the road is paramount, and we all have to look after each other.”

2. Obviously these guys have no other work to do.

Why don’t the police start raiding fast food outlets as one Aussie dies from heart disease every 46 minutes.

Heart disease kills.

3. F***it. I have to go into the CBD at 1100.

Better aim for 1030 to give me some lecture time should I need it. :p

4. has anyone ever tried ditching these little one-man safety seminars?
    I'm curious whether an officer could professionally handle a thanks-but-no-thanks dismissal.

5. Better to just let them ramble on, thinking they are achieving their aim......

especially those knobjockeys with the massive egos in traffic branch

6. i wonder how many of those cbd m/c accidents involved a cars merging into them, or not giving way......from my experience a moving m/c traveling in a straight generally don't fall over by themselves.....

Wonder how many cagers will be worded up for poor driving, my guess probably none unless they are speeding ](*,)

7. well as i remember most of the fatal accidents I have heard of, have not been single vehicle accidents.

8. Why are they targetting the CBD? There have been zero motorcycling fatalities in the CBD in 2009 and 2010. There were three back in 2008. One happened at 11pm at night when rider + pillion were killed near Vic Market, and the other was when a rider ran into the back of a parked car(!!) in Latrobe Street at 5:35pm.

Wait, so they want to educate riders in the CBD, where no fatalities have occurred in recent times, in an attempt to decrease fatalities that have largely happened in remote country locations. (8 in the Greater Melbourne Metro Area, and 21 outside of it).

Logic?

9. Sounds to me like a) lots of riders are getting injured in the city, b) that they may see it's only a matter of time until someone is killed in the same way unless something is done, and c) that the CBD gets a high population of the target audience in a condensed space so they can reach more people with fewer officers.

Seems perfectly logical to me.

10. Then why spend the first few paragraphs talking about fatalities?

11. Damn I'm glad I saw this on their page, I think it saved me some trouble this morning. Kept an eye out for high vis jackets on pedestrians in the normal spot, saw a suspicious one from a couple hundred meters away @ flinders st station… sure enough a scooter zipped past me and got waved onto the side of the road.

12. Because if they pull this crap where the fatalities are, they might have to actually spend some time doing something besides sitting around with their thumbs checking their prostates. They'd have to drive, they wouldn't have ready access to krispy kreme…

13. Have to agree here..... why pull over MC where I'd say it's cagers that are the ones with the "I didn't see you" excuse nearly every time.
    Here's an idea, pull over every car to the side, lecture them and give a free easy passage to bikes. I'd love to see that and the traffic it'd cause....

Oh just had a thought, with all this, should I put the baffle back in for a week or two?????

14. OK I read the flow of the logic of the article as follows:

1. operation goal is to save motorcyclist lives and reduce trauma suffered by riders
    2. operation focuses on educating road users about how to share the road (eg reduce collissions)
    3. emotive guff about fatality stats - granted, kinda disturbing. most are not young kids, almost half are not in high speed areas.
    4. as per 1 & 2, they are targetting CBD as it is a high collision area.
    5. talk about offenses being targetted, safe riding practices that will be promoted

For all the emotive talk about "saving motorcyclist lives" and going on about the number of fatalities, the focus of the operation is clearly focusing on trying to reduce collisions and on reducing the severity of trauma suffered.

To answer your question why go on about fatalities? It's a media release, in the hope of getting the story picked up by the herald sun etc etc. I reckon that the story would be much less likely to be picked up without some horror stats in it.

I'm not saying you have to like it. But I do think it is perfectly logical. I also cannot think of a better idea for changing driver / rider behaviour to reduce collisions.

15. For anyone interested who may be reading this now, in the next few minutes Ken Lay will be on Neil Mitchell's morning show on 3AW.

I'll record it and post it up later on.

16. Here's an idea..... (may have been done)

Have sh&t loads of cops on unmarked bikes riding around town focusing on cars.
    Yes that's right cars.
    Then pull over every car that has moved onto their path either too close or with not enough space and give them a lecture on safety and a fine if considered too close and dangerous.
    I have cagers do that at least nearly once every day and if the cops did this in numbers, they would be flat out pulling people over...

They could call it "Operation Didn't See You"

17. What's funny is that when I filter (on the pushbike, of course :angel: ), I see plenty of tards futzing around with their phones in their laps. Heaps of revenue there, but noooo…

18. Saw it published once that 90% of people die in bed - so when are the cops gunna target that type of behaviour?

Ban beds?
    Stand behind em and observe?
    Or put a webcam in every motel room and monitor behaviour?

Statistics can be used to justify any action.

If people really wanted to get rid of speed cameras for instance, all they have to do is NOT SPEED for 6 months, and the gumbyment will suffer from loss of revenue! No money to fund more, they will die off.

19. Firstly it needs to be read in context. Nowhere does it say it is actually targeting motorcyclists.

This week’s operation involves members from across the CBD and beyond on foot patrol, in vehicles and on motorbikes attempting to engage road users and educate them on the importance of sharing the road.

Note the phrase "road users" - not "motorcyclists".

Sergeant Shane Cowman, who will brief the members this morning, said Melbourne’s CBD is ranked highest area in the state for road trauma, and collisions involving motorbikes and scooters are a concern.

Shane (who is one of the better cops I've come across - and a rider himself off duty) doesn't say that motorcyclists and scooters are to blame - in fact, I've seen the figures. Most of the incidents are caused by cars, especially turning across the path of motorcycles and scooters. Taxis are responsible for about 11% of crashes and pedestrians a similar percentage.

There have however been a number of crashes caused by riders trying to filter past left turning cars as well as motorcycles and scooters rearending cars. In general though by far the majority of crashes in the CBD are definitely not caused by rider fault.

“The maps and data show us that motorcyclists in the city are over represented in serious injury collision data, and we know that the majority of these are preventable,” Sgt Cowman said.

I've seen the maps and data - and he's correct.

As far as the getting a chat about protective clothing goes, how many people here keep making comments about scooter riders and their lack of gear.

20. piffle, i got pulled up for one of these chats, a little while ago, in my full gear! I pointed it out, and the cop checked my rego and licence.

Either way, it's a fishing exercise.