Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[VIC] Police say GP hype worsening road crash rates

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by jdkarmch, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Online Here but didn't appear in print today.

See in bold below, statement made by police blaming these two accidents which occurred nowhere near the Moto GP on the GP itself. Also some interesting comments.....

2. Kinda similar lines, but NO, we can't blame the MotoGP. It'd be like blaming the 'Homes & Garden' expo for a spate of injuries by people falling off ladders or snake bites :p

3. WTF!!!

I haven't noticed anyone riding around playing tennis from the back of a motorcycle. :roll:

I especially haven't noticed any attractive, young, blonde, Russian women in short white skirts riding motorcycles around. It's possible I missed them but that's about as likely as a scooter at a patch club run.

:LOL:

4. I see nothing wrong with this response. Its fair to say that during an event such as this, many more riders take to the road at once, hence increase the chances of accidents. Just like people going out to kick a soccer ball during the world cup or cricket bat during the one-dayer's.

However, I do agree that it is a strech (media driven) that the actual event contributed to these incidents.

5. I would say that the Herald-Sun leapt to that conclusion.

The police spokesperson is simply asking cage drivers to keep an eye out for bikers as there are more on the road because of the GP (and also the better weather!)

6. i dont think having more bikers on the road doesnt make them more likely to get hit. surely the probabilities stay the same and they get multiplied by the proportion of extra bikes.

i kinda think more bikers would be at home watching the motogp. i was.

7. I dunno, the police put the thought in there.

And to be honest, I can understand why.

8. Just for once, I'm gonna give the cops a break. What they actually seem to be saying is that the GP is bringing more bikes out onto the road, so car drivers need to be on the lookout. It's just the parasitic newspaper that's looking to blame riders (this time).

Mind you another police spokesperson has had a verbal go at riders returning from PI, on the radio this morning. Couldn't resist, i suppose.