Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Vic Pol - Speed camera secrecy more important than accuracy

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mattxr, Dec 28, 2014.

1. This was published in the press this evening, interesting comment from Vic Pol...

Secrecy more important than accuracy in speed tests, traffic cop tells court
    A TRAFFIC cop who told a court it was more important to remain hidden than to accurately detect speeding drivers has angered motorists.

Victoria Police has backed Torquay Sgt Dean Parello, who made the comments after nabbing a driver while concealed in a driveway behind a length of trees.

Sgt Parello told Geelong Magistrates’ Court he was parked 10m from the roadside on Hendy Main Rd, Bellbrae, when he caught Torquay man Robert Brown travelling 95km/h in the 80km zone.

When being cross-examined by Mr Brown, Sgt Parello explained he would likely receive a more accurate reading on the radar if he were positioned directly behind the motorist than to the side.

When asked, “why were you so far away from the road if it doesn’t give as true a reading, why not be on the side of the road?”, Sgt Parello replied: “Because people would more than likely see me sitting there and slow down before I can get a three-second reading on them.”

Mr Brown then asked: “So, that’s worth sacrificing getting an accurate reading?”

Sgt Parello responded: “Yes, it is.”

Mr Brown was found guilty and handed a reduced fine after a magistrate found the reading was correct.

Acting Superintendent Dave Griffin said “covert activities” were among a range of options used by police in situations where safety or geography were factors.

Supt Griffin said although the angle of the vehicle affected the speed reading, “it is important to understand that cosine angle always favours the motorist” with the reading decreasing as the angle increased.

“Based on the information provided, Sgt Parello’s actions do not appear to warrant further action,” Supt Griffin said.

But motorist advocate Mike Palmer called Sgt Parello’s admission “outrageous”.

“The whole point, according to them, is to cause people to slow down to reduce accidents. But here you’ve got a clear-cut example that it’s got nothing to do with that at all. They don’t want people to slow down, they want to make money,” said Mr Palmer, a spokesman for Aussie Speeding Fines.

Barrister and traffic law expert Michael Kuzilny said it showed police were more concerned with revenue than slowing drivers.

“It’s a sneaky way of law enforcement.”

2. #2 smee, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  3. Sadly anyone who's lived in victoria long enough isn't surprised by this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yep, I have never hated cops, but the Vicpol have been doing a good job to change that.
  5. Traffic cops are a different breed of people. It takes a serious sociopathic personality to be able to get up every morning and be a c*nt. I mean these guys wouldnt hesitate to give tickets even on Christmas day. That takes a special kind of arsehole.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Not much different to those who get up each morning and whinge about getting caught infringing the rules they should know then try to put the blame on the ones doing their job.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 1. He isn't a traffic cop. Media stuff up again.
    2. By being where he was the radar would still be accurate. In fact the speed of the driver detected would actually show up as less than what he was doing. They do work better (depending on which way you look at it) if they are directly ahead or behind the vehicle because of the rebound of the radar.
    Ahh just reread the article and this explains what I'm trying to say better.
    "Supt Griffin said although the angle of the vehicle affected the speed reading, “it is important to understand that cosine angle always favours the motorist” with the reading decreasing as the angle increased."
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Although I know you are painting with wide brush strokes I can't help but feel you are personally attacking me for saying traffic cops are c*nts. Nowhere have I whinged about breaking rules and getting caught. In fact I haven't had a speeding fine for many years
  9. It doesn't matter if the cosine angle works in favour of the driver of the vehicle. Hiding in the bushes is not a way to change attitudes. A police officer who is visible is. This is simple revenue raising. You can't make money of you can't fine people because they can see you
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Speed Cameras | 9 News Adelaide:

This camera is under camo netting. Police trying to fine the guy $5000 for blocking the camera by way of vehicle obstruction but neither bike is his. I know this guy he's a good bloke. Tell me how a camera under camo netting that posts a fine out after 14 days isn't anything but revenue raising
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Risking upsetting people, maybe the attitude they are trying to change is speeding everywhere. If cameras are hidden, then they can be anywhere therefore don't speed wherever you are.
    I wasn't picking on Rrdevil, just using his comments to introduce my point. Mind you even on my 150 I have trouble keeping the speed down, gamble & don't grizzle if I get pinged.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. I don't know why we tolerate these things.
  13. Didn't the operator even ask him to move "his" bike?

Farkin' hell
  14. Problem with speed enforcement is that current speed limits are in effect archaic laws; aligned with politics and not physical realities, hardly surprising then that people find them difficult to obey or respect. Hiding is the bushed? Trying to change attitudes on an at best contentious subject by instilling mass fear? Sounds like a scary path for our fearless leader(s) to go down.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. It was unmanned.
  16. Surprised it was still there or even in one piece when the operators got back then.
  17. Yeah, IMO the guy has proven himself a good bloke just for not chucking it over the cliff (or into the ditch or whatever).
  18. #19 oldcorollas, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    there's a big difference between those who simply cannot control the speed and direction of their vehicles adequately.... and those who control their vehicle at a higher speed...
    but how do you get the message across to the former, without unduly penalising the latter?

hiding in bushes and fining people lower than their actual speed doesn't seem to work :)

it's a wonder anyone even bothers to get licences or rego these days
  19. The message police are trying to convey can be summed up as 'big brother is watching'. I don't think they really believe they are saving that many lives ( a few, possibly). The important part is that everyone must believe that they are under observation all the time. And the payoff is in general societal obedience as much as it is about staying alive on the roads.
    • Agree Agree x 1